WHich of these DACs would you get? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-05-2013, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am getting rid of my Peachtree DAC-IT because I need more inputs.

These are my 3 options. Which would you pick, and why?

I need a new DAC. I can get the following ones for around the same price. These are my options:

Peachtree iDac (don't need the ipod dock), Rega DAC (supposedly has the nice warm rega sound)or Audiolab M-DAC (the only of the 3 that has async USB)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by najibs View Post

(supposedly has the nice warm rega sound)
Oh good grief. If a DAC has an audible distinct signature it is faulty.
Ethan Winer likes this.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

DACs sound different. 2 DACs can have the same DAC chip and still sound different based on the implementation of it. There's no point in useless responses like yours, when clearly you have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

DACs sound different.
Not generally, they don't, unless the designer deliberately designed it that way, or is incompetent.
Quote:

2 DACs can have the same DAC chip and still sound different based on the implementation of it.
Sure if you add a crummy and unnecessary tube in the output you can reduce the baseline performance of the DAC, or you design it exceptionally badly, it might me able to be distinguished from another.
Quote:

There's no point in useless responses like yours, when clearly you have no idea what you're talking about.
I have considerable experience and education in analogue and digital electronics, so I probably know far more about the subject than you do. My point was really get the one with the feature set that you need and stop wasting time obsessing about difference you might think you'll hear, but are at such a low measured level you won't actually be able to hear them. At least not level matched, synched and blind.

Or simply buy the most expensive one so you'll at least get some value by being able to tell other audiophools how much you spent.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 308
One word of caution, about the Audiolab M-DAC. IMO...and I'm a single-source, digital guy (so I've owned like, 10 DACs...lol); it has a very nice feature set...and my favorite chip, in the ESS Sabre 9018. But it is pretty cheaply built, I thought; and I had a ground-loop issue...when connected to my home-built streamer (likely due to the M-DACs power-supply).

I know the unit has a lot of support, and that's good; Paul Westlake has his forum groupies. Just a word of caution. FWIW...I say stick with the Peachtree. Those guys put out a good product, for the price.

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
Old 03-06-2013, 06:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

DACs sound different. 2 DACs can have the same DAC chip and still sound different based on the implementation of it.

If the sky falls we all die. It is possible to completely screw up a DAC and have one that sounds different, but all of the good ones sound pretty much the same. One recent attempt by high end vendors to make a DAC that sounded different was to resort to a chip that had been out of production for years, and take advantage of the fact that it allowed the designer to leave out some critical functions that prevented swamping the rest of the system with ultrasonic noise.
Quote:
There's no point in useless responses like yours, when clearly you have no idea what you're talking about.

Put it on me Najabs. Educate me about DACs! Make my day. ;-)
Old 03-06-2013, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
when clearly you have no idea what you're talking about.

LOL...the most clueless are always the loudest with their ignorance.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 329
You guys who think there is no difference in DACs just don't have expensive enough speakers!!!

If you did, then you'd be able to hear that little 60Hz spur at -108dB that some DACs have!!!!!1!!!!!1!

(joking!)

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
You guys who think there is no difference in DACs just don't have expensive enough speakers!!!

If you did, then you'd be able to hear that little 60Hz spur at -108dB that some DACs have!!!!!1!!!!!1!
Nonsense. I've heard that spur on a tin can and string. What's wrong with your ears?????

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

Old 03-06-2013, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 329
As I've gotten older, my hearing only goes to 50Hz now.

wink.gif

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post

(joking!)

Seriously now folks, if the people who traffic in such claims were doing DBTs, they'd probably be saying something else.

Besides you can bypass such potential difficulties with loudspeakers and rooms (which are IME a major source of masking) with headphones.

I do a ton of listening with headphones. Enjoying the fresh receipt of a pair of HD-380s. Heck of a deal on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SENNHEISER-HD380-HD-380-STEREO-HEADPHONES-AUTHORIZED-DEALER-FULL-WARRANTY-/130855035018?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item1e7791608a