Speakers to match Electrocompaniet pre/power -- suggestions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-08-2013, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I was lucky enough to come across an Electrocompaniet pre-amp and power-amp, and am now on the hunt for a pair of matching 2-channel speakers. I know very little about Electrocompaniet, but believe the sound tends to be quite relaxed (valve-like), which suits me just fine.

My preference for the speakers would be:
  • Floor-standing (size not important)
  • Mellow, warm sound (nothing too bright or crisp)
  • Good bottom end, without the use of a separate subwoofer

I've so far auditioned Elac and B&W, and also some Martin Logans (although, apologies to owners, they were a little shrilly for me). There's very few good hi-fi shops down here in Tasmania (Australia), so it'd be great to get a rough idea of the models I should look at before I go booking flights to "less remote" parts of the country!

Expected outlay would be around $5,000-$10,000 (preferrably the smaller end). Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-09-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I'm not from down under but I searched around for some audio shops and I would check out Sound Reference in Melbourne. They sell Vandersteen speakers which I once owned. They are right in your price range. The 3A and the Treo would fit your taste.smile.gif
post #3 of 9 Old 03-09-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

I would check out Sound Reference in Melbourne. They sell Vandersteen speakers which I once owned...

Very kind of you to look that up, Class A. I'll definitely add those to the list of auditions next time I'm in Melbourne. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
post #4 of 9 Old 03-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
I had the opportunity to hear an Electrocompaniet system (EC 4.7 pre and 2x120 amp) powering Quad 2805's. I love Quad speakers and the system was memorable.

Have fun!
post #5 of 9 Old 03-10-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 258
I have had Vandersteen 3A speakers for over 20 years (since they first came out), in both of my homes.

You will have a hard time beating them for excellent sound quality.

Two other speakers that I can also recommend are the PSB Synchrony One speakers and the KEF R900.

Those all run $5000-6000 per pair in the USA; don't now how your prices will compare.

I am selling one home, and one pair of like-new 3A speakers is going to be sold for $2500 or so, but air freight to Tasmania would surely be prohibitive...lol.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-10-2013, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I am selling one home, and one pair of like-new 3A speakers is going to be sold for $2500 or so, but air freight to Tasmania would surely be prohibitive...lol.

Definitely, Commsys. I've just tried to ship some small light fixtures over here and postage is over $1000. I'd be better off flying to LA and bringing them back as hand luggage!

I discovered a (relatively) local manufacturer called Image, operating from New Zealand. I've started an email dialogue with the owner Chris, and he suggests his top of the range model:

http://imageloudspeakers.com/products/revelation2.asp

Around A$3500 landed, which is a terrific price. The reviews are good too... although I've got that old problem of buying a speaker unheard. Now I'm wondering if a trip to NZ is on the cards... wink.gif

post #7 of 9 Old 03-10-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Crossing the moat to have a listen in Melb for a day or two shouldn't cost too much and will be a much more worthwhile exercise than trusting someone you don't know's opinion. Take them simply as something to try if possible.

I haven't heard much I like lately from commercial speakers, but the one that I did like was the Legend Bid Red though active and with a DEQX. Even if they are above your budget (just checked $A9k RRP) they should be heard.
Plus they are locally designed and built.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-10-2013, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

...but the one that I did like was the Legend Bid Red though active and with a DEQX...

I've been interested in those Legend products for a while now -- it was a toss up between those and my Whatmough 202i Leadlines when I lived in Melbourne about a decade ago. Oddly, the thing that put me off was their ugly (hideously ugly) logo -- being a graphic designer, I'm easily swayed by such trivial things. rolleyes.gif

post #9 of 9 Old 03-10-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson4 View Post

I've been interested in those Legend products for a while now -- it was a toss up between those and my Whatmough 202i Leadlines when I lived in Melbourne about a decade ago. Oddly, the thing that put me off was their ugly (hideously ugly) logo -- being a graphic designer, I'm easily swayed by such trivial things. rolleyes.gif

Go and have a listen. Ignore the logo. They are made in small numbers and I'm sure if you ordered them you could get them without logos. Or magnetically attached like some grilles are so you can remove them. My recollection was that I was very impressed in the way they filled a very large demo room with ease (most audiophile speakers sound constipated to me) and had very good dynamics.
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page