what to use to transfer CDs to hard drive? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-08-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question - please point me to where I should go if not. I have a collection of a few hundred music CDs that I'd like to backup/transfer to hard drive, I probably should have done this years ago, as I found some of my CDs have songs that have glitches when played. What would be a good software to do this? I hope it would be easy to organize/catalog, and easy to play with a blue-ray player that could read external harddrive.

thanks,

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-08-2013, 12:33 PM

dbpoweramp is awesome you can get a free trial

exact audio copy is free and its good, i think it only does flac files though, flac is the way to go if your music player or what ever your playing the music with from the hard drive supports it. if not doing flac i would probably just use windows media player

what kind of format you want your music to convert to is also important as far as what software to use.

if there are any glitches it will probably still be there when you play it back on a hard drive.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-08-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 255
dBpoweramp is definitely the software to use for this. Clean the discs as best you can, and then hopefully it should be able to eventually extract the data once set up for secure ripping.
EAC is a free alternative to dBpoweramp, but if you have a large collection, it's worth spending the $38 in my opinion.

You should rip to a lossless format - depending on what camp you're in, I would use either FLAC or Apple Lossless (ALAC) and make sure you have the encoder set to verify the encode. Both of them sound identical, but compatibility with the files varies across devices/software - though they can be converted back/forth at any time.

A word of caution though - if a disc is cracked, you risk destroying your optical drive when using software like dBpoweramp/EAC. You can often get away with playing a cracked disc in an actual CD player that only spins at 1x, and all that happens is that it will skip every so often, but with a damaged disc these tools are going to keep re-reading damaged sections at different speeds far above 1x to see if they can extract the track correctly, and this can put enough stress on a damaged disc that it might shatter. If the disc is just skipping due to age (disc rot) or scratches, there's no need to worry about it though.
post #4 of 13 Old 03-08-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Jason,

I have been using ExactAudioCopy since the late 90's, and it works great for me. But I would recommend dbPowerAmp anyway, especially since you have so many CD's to rip. Rip to FLAC and don't look back.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-08-2013, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for your responses. what's the extra (features) of the dBpoweramp compared to the free EAC?
post #6 of 13 Old 03-08-2013, 03:11 PM

Liked: 13
I also recommend dbpoweramp. Very easy to use. Only thing you need to setup is secure ripping and to do that you just check a box. Doesnt get much easy then that

post #7 of 13 Old 03-08-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafan View Post

. . . what's the extra (features) of the dBpoweramp compared to the free EAC?
Hi Jason,

Mainly? Ease of use. It took me quite some time to get EAC configured. Even then, I had to revisit the configuration a few times. Lots of options with obtuse technical jargon.

Second, dbPowerAmp allows you to rip to multiple formats at once. I use EAC to rip to FLAC, but then I use Audacity to make MP3 copies of those FLAC files for my older media players. dbPowerAmp can do both in one swell-foop.

I'm sure that there are other advantages. It's a newer program. It didn't exist when I started using EAC.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-11-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
In addition to multiple formats (I chose to create both mp3 and FLAC for each CD) dBpoweramp will also allow multiple instances to run, which I was never able to do with EAC. While still a time consuming process, having three CD players instead of one going at the same time was a huge help.

post #9 of 13 Old 03-21-2013, 09:34 PM

Liked: 12
if you just want mp3 format use windows media player
insert cd and select rip

science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-22-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I use my MacBook Pro and rip the CD's to Lossless and let iTunes catalog it quick and easy and then backup everything been doing this for years without a glitch.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-22-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

I use my MacBook Pro and rip the CD's to Lossless and let iTunes catalog it quick and easy and then backup everything been doing this for years without a glitch.
iTunes does not perform secure ripping or check the results against the AccurateRip database like dBpoweramp and EAC though, so you have no idea whether there's been a "glitch" or not. For OS X, the software to use seems to be XLD, but I have no experience with it.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-22-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

iTunes does not perform secure ripping or check the results against the AccurateRip database like dBpoweramp and EAC though, so you have no idea whether there's been a "glitch" or not. For OS X, the software to use seems to be XLD, but I have no experience with it.
You are correct in the fact it does not perform secure rip but in all the years I have used it I have never heard an audible difference using lossless could not answer about the lossy encodes since I have never used them.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-22-2013, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I use CDex to rip to WAV and then use any combination of Audacity, Cirlinca HD-Audio, ProTools, ConverterLite to get the files to a compressed format, re-mix them, and tag them. CDex hasn't been updated since 2009 but it should still work for most compressed formats out these except mp4 and flac.

FreeRIP works well with ripping/converting 16/44.1 to Flac, etc. with IDv3 and CDDB support. It IS free but you'll get occasional " hints " to purchase a Pro version. I don't think there is a time limit like with dBPowerAmp. I just don't use it much because I'm more interested in quickly getting an uncompressed rip so I can work with it in an audio editor.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page