Shopping for my first home theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-09-2013, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently bought a Sony BRAVIA HX850 and am looking for speakers to pair with it. My budget is around $600. I dont want a surround sound system, I live in an apartment, and my living room size is 18'x18'.

Currently I am leaning towards a receiver and two bookshelf speakers, and maybe a sub (not sure if I would need it). I would rather not have a gigantic receiver, but it seems like thats mandatory to have good sound.

Is $600 a good budget? (I live in Canada)

What would you recommend?

About the receiver, I am thinking of leaving everything plugged into my TV and outputting the sound to the receiver via optical out. Is this an OK route? Does this allow me to use older receivers without worrying about codec/3d-hdmi support?

A coworker offered to sell me one of his receivers (Yamaha RX-V571) for about $150, seems like a steal.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateralWave View Post

I recently bought a Sony BRAVIA HX850 and am looking for speakers to pair with it. My budget is around $600. I dont want a surround sound system, I live in an apartment, and my living room size is 18'x18'.

Currently I am leaning towards a receiver and two bookshelf speakers, and maybe a sub (not sure if I would need it). I would rather not have a gigantic receiver, but it seems like thats mandatory to have good sound.

Is $600 a good budget? (I live in Canada)

What would you recommend?

About the receiver, I am thinking of leaving everything plugged into my TV and outputting the sound to the receiver via optical out. Is this an OK route? Does this allow me to use older receivers without worrying about codec/3d-hdmi support?

A coworker offered to sell me one of his receivers (Yamaha RX-V571) for about $150, seems like a steal.

Thanks

Yes, the optical out is an option. You'll likely get a 2.0 pcm feed, which for your interest is fine. Do a search in this forum and there are a couple of threads for bookshelf speaker recommendations.

Another option would be powered speakers and not need a reciever. There are some threads to that subject here in the 2 channel forum as well.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Since you are in Canada, and so is PSB, that is kind of a no-brainer; they make excellent speakers.

I suggest that you go to the PSB website and enter your postal code in the dealer locator and find your nearby dealers.

I understand that Canadian PSB dealers routinely offer discounted prices.

A pair of Image T5 or Image T6 speakers should work well for you.

That price on the receiver is a good deal. That will allow you to get some decent speakers.

You may want a better receiver at some point in the future.

A Harman-Kardon AVR2650 receiver would be my top recommendation, when you can afford it.

It is always best to run all of your sources to the receiver, and then run the HDMI output to the TV monitor's input.

In looking at that owner's manual, you should have no problems with that method with that receiver.

It also has ARC, which returns the TV audio to the receiver on that single HDMI cable when just watching broadcast TV (if anyone still does...lol).