Stand alone DAC vs OPPO 105 - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #241 of 261 Old 08-18-2015, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablolie View Post
Never heard about it. To me the D7050 is superior to the D3020 in its ability to move speakers. Whether it justifies twice the cost is a different question. But it most definitely does not have less power. in fact it sounds much better driving LS50s than the 3020.
Interesting -
I had both in my house for a few days when I was evaluating the D7050 because I wanted direct digital amplification and a little more power.
Having observed the D3020 seemingly providing more power to my inefficient Harbeth p3esr monitors, I ask NAD which amp actually provided more power.
Here is what they had to say about it. Also remember that you will not see the “Dynamic Power” of the D7050 used as a marketing point by NAD anywhere. They simply state 50w into 4 ohms.

(NAD Electronics)

May 27, 09:45

Hello Jjkern,

Thank you for contacting the NAD Electronics Support Centre regarding the NAD D7050/D3020. Please be advised that the D3020 is recommended as it has much higher dynamic power particularly into 4 and 2 ohms 105W and 150W respectively.

We hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,

Last edited by JJK1; 08-18-2015 at 05:35 PM. Reason: remove NAD support tech name from post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 261 Old 09-21-2016, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Question Streaming from PC to Oppo

Hello all and thanks in advance for your input.

I have a Windows 10 machine and am waiting to purchase (when available) the Oppo 4K player. I checked with Oppo and they state the forthcoming 4K player will NOT have an Internet browser.

As this (no browser) is the case with teh current 105/105D model, can someone tell me whether or not they were able to successfully:

- establish a wireless "share" between the Oppo and Win 10 where the Oppo sees the Win 10 shared files
- access a streaming music website - such as gdradio.net - on the PC and play that stream via the Oppo
- if connecting PC to Oppo via a wired connection while listening to a streaming website on the PC, how are you making the connection (USB out of PC to USB in of Oppo or HDMI out of PC and into HDMI of Oppo)

"The law come to get you if you don't walk right"
Tennessee Jed
Lyrics: Robert Hunter
Music: Jerry Garcia
post #243 of 261 Old 09-26-2016, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Take a look at the Chord MOJO Dac. I am using a Chord HUGO right now its very good!!! I have heard people and my own dealer say the MOJO is even smoother and warmer sounding. I may do a home demo of the MOJO with in the next few days. Its only 800$ here in Canada less then half the price of the HUGO.

2ch setup - Martin Logan motion 40 speakers and dynamo 700 sub, Micromega PA-20 preamp and PW-400 power amplifier, Nordost Blue Heaven speaker cable, CHORD HUGO DAC with Jriver for Flac and DSD audio, Denon 1930CI- DVD/ SACD player, Project Elemental Turntable. OTG setup - Ipad mini 3, CHORD MOJO, Sennheiser Momentum headphones.

post #244 of 261 Old 09-26-2016, 10:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by ve3fnd View Post
I have heard people and my own dealer say the MOJO is even smoother and warmer sounding.
If it really does, then it's either badly designed or defective.
rnsound likes this.
post #245 of 261 Old 09-26-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFEer View Post
If it really does, then it's either badly designed or defective.
LMFAO here we go! Just go with the 60$ muse dac "they all sound the same" Lets see some charts?

2ch setup - Martin Logan motion 40 speakers and dynamo 700 sub, Micromega PA-20 preamp and PW-400 power amplifier, Nordost Blue Heaven speaker cable, CHORD HUGO DAC with Jriver for Flac and DSD audio, Denon 1930CI- DVD/ SACD player, Project Elemental Turntable. OTG setup - Ipad mini 3, CHORD MOJO, Sennheiser Momentum headphones.
post #246 of 261 Old 09-26-2016, 10:42 PM

And don't forget a few DBTs

post #247 of 261 Old 09-26-2016, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
LMFAO here we go! Just go with the 60$ muse dac "they all sound the same" Lets see some charts?
If you know of the cases they didn't, lets see some results. I've been looking for such case.
post #248 of 261 Old 09-26-2016, 11:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And don't forget a few DBTs
Here's your perfect opportunity for it.
Quote:
I may do a home demo of the MOJO with in the next few days.
post #249 of 261 Old 09-27-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Here's your perfect opportunity for it.

I seen this and thought of you LFEer Monster XP versus Aluminum Foil: A Speaker Cable Test

post #250 of 261 Old 09-27-2016, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I seen this and thought of you LFEer Monster XP versus Aluminum Foil: A Speaker Cable Test
I've seen this and thought of you, ve3fnd.
post #251 of 261 Old 09-27-2016, 11:51 PM

Quote:
I've seen this and thought of you, ve3fnd.
I have looked this over. I will admit that this is interesting but i must say in my defense if i were to hear a difference in the HUGO over the MUSE DAC what then. I will have to go with the HUGO its just better on my ears. I ask others to just keep an open mind on the matter. If your ears like it buy it! PS the link was all in good fun my friend, I hope I wasn't wrong in thinking you would have found it of interest.

post #252 of 261 Old 09-28-2016, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
but i must say in my defense
What is it that you are defending, bias uncontrolled comparison?
Quote:
if i were to hear a difference
If? Meaning that you don't know yet.
Quote:
I will have to go with the HUGO its just better on my ears. I ask others to just keep an open mind on the matter. If your ears like it buy it!
I'm glad that you mentioned "ears" because that's what double blind test is about, using ears only by removing visual clues. Try it for yourself.
post #253 of 261 Old 09-28-2016, 05:16 PM

To each our own, You buy what you want I'll buy what I want. In fact many others will still buy chord dacs and just like me they will see what I have seen.... A HUGE LEAP IN SOUND QUALITY. At first I thought the hugo was way over priced but after a "no stings attached" demo of it (meaning if I don't want it just bring it back),Turns out I will for sure keep it. I'm trying the mojo tonight when I get home from work just to say I did. The hugo is one of the best dacs out there, take my word or don't. If you can try one, DO IT you wont be sorry.

post #254 of 261 Old 09-28-2016, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
To each our own, You buy what you want I'll buy what I want.
I couldn't care less about what you do in your own domain with your own time and money. I've been responding to what you posted on this forum.
Quote:
In fact many others will still buy chord dacs and just like me they will see what I have seen.... A HUGE LEAP IN SOUND QUALITY.
Just opinion without supporting evidence.
Quote:
At first I thought the hugo was way over priced but after a "no stings attached" demo of it (meaning if I don't want it just bring it back),Turns out I will for sure keep it. I'm trying the mojo tonight when I get home from work just to say I did. The hugo is one of the best dacs out there, take my word or don't. If you can try one, DO IT you wont be sorry.
Do it? How, level unmatched and visual clue uncontrolled? Results from such comparison won't be worth diddly squat when you want to post claims on internet forum.
post #255 of 261 Old 09-28-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I couldn't care less about what you do in your own domain with your own time and money. I've been responding to what you posted on this forum. Just opinion without supporting evidence. Do it? How, level unmatched and visual clue uncontrolled? Results from such comparison won't be worth diddly squat when you want to post claims on internet forum.

It looks to me like you care a lot about what I'm doing. I don't have to prove that chord dacs are selling. Seeing that chord is still open and doing well, they must be selling to someone. The OP was asking for a DAC under 1000$ and not to big, He can look at the mojo or not. I'm done with this pissing match. If he wants great sound and wants to spend the money to get it look at the chord hugo. If he wants to buy cheep then that's his call. You get what you pay for I don't care what you say.

post #256 of 261 Old 09-29-2016, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It looks to me like you care a lot about what I'm doing.
You forgot to add a word "here", as in "...a lot about what I'm doing here".
Quote:
I don't have to prove that chord dacs are selling. Seeing that chord is still open and doing well, they must be selling to someone.
You posted claims about the sound quality of it. No proof? That's too bad because I was curious about it and it would have helped your credibility.
Quote:
The OP was asking for a DAC under 1000$ and not to big, He can look at the mojo or not. I'm done with this pissing match.
Posting proof of your claim would have silenced the critics.
Quote:
If he wants great sound and wants to spend the money to get it look at the chord hugo.
Looks like typical internet shill post.
Quote:
If he wants to buy cheep then that's his call. You get what you pay for
Not when it comes to sound quality of DAC these days.
Quote:
I don't care what you say.
Looks like typical internet shill post.
post #257 of 261 Old 10-05-2016, 12:43 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Chord Hugo DAC is good

I did get to listen to Chord Hugo operated as a standalone DAC and it was connected to a Rega Elicit-r analog integrated amp driving the Epos speakers the ither day. I must say it was very good. Never heard the Mojo though.
post #258 of 261 Old 10-05-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivace View Post
I did get to listen to Chord Hugo operated as a standalone DAC and it was connected to a Rega Elicit-r analog integrated amp driving the Epos speakers the ither day. I must say it was very good. Never heard the Mojo though.

The Mojo and Hugo sound very much alike, Many describe the Hugo as being more crisp and accurate and the Mojo as still very detailed but a slight warmth to the sound. IMO the Mojo would work very well on bright headphones or speakers to help null the harsh sounds. Hugo is well with its price for me. I will be getting it back for good soon. I had the Mojo for a week but decided to give it back and to stick only with the Hugo.

Last edited by ve3fnd; 10-05-2016 at 05:42 PM.
post #259 of 261 Old 10-05-2016, 05:26 PM

Oh no we brought up Chord DACs again.... look out!

post #260 of 261 Old 10-05-2016, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Chord Hugo DAC vs Oppo 105 DAC

I've never done direct comparison between these two DACs in the same system.
I don't think I've ever listened through the Oppo 105 DAC at all. I own the Oppo bdp 105 myself but I'm using it strictly for watching bluray and dvd movies and my Oppo 105 bluray player is connected via hdmi only to my Classe SSP 800 preamp surround processor. So I have no idea how the Oppo 105 stereo DAC would perform or sound like. But IMO I think the Chord Hugo DAC would be superior sonically compared to the Oppo 105 DAC. But again I've never compared them side by side. Eventhough lot of people have been raving about the Oppo 105 analog stereo performance but I'm sure it's good for what it is being a universal disc player.
post #261 of 261 Old 10-08-2016, 01:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Looks like you bought the wrong model. The 105 meant for people who would use the built in DACs, people who only use it's HDMI outputs only the 103 would be just as good for less than half the price.
CruelInventions and Namikis like this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page