Recommend system based on setup please... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 03-12-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Looking for 2 speakers and sub system for tv and movies. This will be in basement for my 55" led sony tv which is hooked to sat. box and ps3. TV sits on fireplace console about 43" high and just below is a cubby for components such as ps3 sat box and hoping soon to be speakers. The cubby is 50" wide by 8.5" tall 13" is already taken up by ps3. I don't have the sat box but I assume it will be at least the same size as ps3. I cannot place speakers next to tv cause screen takes up the top minus maybe 4" on each side. I might be able to place in front of tv but then they couldn't be more then 3.5" tall as to not block view of screen. If I could find speakers for top they would be 60" apart outside edge to outside edge (in cubby 50" outside edge to outside edge.

No wall mounting and no floor speakers only either on top or in cubby. If need be I might be able to post pic of tv console...

As far as room goes its one big open area with walls far far away on all sides. We sit about 10.5' away with cubby about eye level and screen about 8-10" above that...

Budget is no more them $1k...Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-12-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by perferd View Post

Looking for 2 speakers and sub system for tv and movies. This will be in basement for my 55" led sony tv which is hooked to sat. box and ps3. TV sits on fireplace console about 43" high and just below is a cubby for components such as ps3 sat box and hoping soon to be speakers. The cubby is 50" wide by 8.5" tall 13" is already taken up by ps3. I don't have the sat box but I assume it will be at least the same size as ps3. I cannot place speakers next to tv cause screen takes up the top minus maybe 4" on each side. I might be able to place in front of tv but then they couldn't be more then 3.5" tall as to not block view of screen. If I could find speakers for top they would be 60" apart outside edge to outside edge (in cubby 50" outside edge to outside edge.

No wall mounting and no floor speakers only either on top or in cubby. If need be I might be able to post pic of tv console...

As far as room goes its one big open area with walls far far away on all sides. We sit about 10.5' away with cubby about eye level and screen about 8-10" above that...

Budget is no more them $1k...Thanks

Do you currently have an AVR or other active power source for the proposed new loudspeakers?
post #3 of 17 Old 03-12-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Do you currently have an AVR or other active power source for the proposed new loudspeakers?

Does that mean do I have a receiver? No I don't just tv and ps3 right now with sat box coming soon. If I were to get receiver it would be part of buget and take up space in cubby...
post #4 of 17 Old 03-12-2013, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a pic.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-12-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 36
You may want to consider a sound bar. Some are wide enough that your TV can sit on it. For an AVR maybe a Marantz 1603. It's very slim and could fit in the open space. Total cost should be in your price range.smile.gif
post #6 of 17 Old 03-12-2013, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

At store now going to buy and audition the Yamaha ysp-2200...
post #7 of 17 Old 03-12-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

I did look at the bose cinemate series ll but the guy at store said try the yamaha first...
post #8 of 17 Old 03-12-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I would go w/the Yamaha over the Bose. Better sounds and more features.smile.gif
post #9 of 17 Old 03-12-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't had a chance to run it yet but I do have it hooked up and staged where it looks great and not very noticeable...
post #10 of 17 Old 03-12-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Have fun hope you like the Yammie. Give us a your impressions and post a picture.smile.gif
post #11 of 17 Old 03-12-2013, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

All setup now except I canr get the 5.1 dolby digital to work yet. I think it is still just in 2.1 cause when I did the demo disc it says to go through optio s and find the settings to be set for dolby d but mine says for pcm. Tomorrow I will call and see what's wrong...

As for the pic just like I said its very discrete barely know its there but the sound is awesome...minus the sub cause its hard to tell if ots even on lol...

post #12 of 17 Old 03-12-2013, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

There is a Soundbar thread. I'm sure you can get help there. It does look like a perfect fit for your setup. Good luck and have fun.smile.gif
post #13 of 17 Old 03-12-2013, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks I will post up my problem there...
post #14 of 17 Old 03-15-2013, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

I am taking the yammy back and getting the cinemate series ll for audition...
post #15 of 17 Old 03-18-2013, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Just setup the cinemate series ll and its Zero contest. The yammy is not even in the same league and its a whooping $450 more which is insane...

The surround simulation is much much better (even with yammy in manual mode) the bass from sub is a million times better and the overall value is heads and shoulders above...

I will give this one a good audition to see if I want speakers sub and receiver...
post #16 of 17 Old 03-21-2013, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

So far so great! This system is perfect for my needs and is really doing a wonderful job. I am not sure why all the hate for it...cheap simple and sounds awesome. ..
post #17 of 17 Old 03-21-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by perferd View Post

Just setup the cinemate series ll and its Zero contest. The yammy is not even in the same league and its a whooping $450 more which is insane...

The surround simulation is much much better (even with yammy in manual mode) the bass from sub is a million times better and the overall value is heads and shoulders above...

I will give this one a good audition to see if I want speakers sub and receiver...

You might find this review amusing:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/test-report-yamaha-ysp-2200-digital-sound-projector

"On the hate side, when compared with any reasonably competent “real” surround speaker system that includes separate center, surround, and subwoofer components, soundbars suck. Some suck more, some less, but suck they all do: The physical-acoustics laws laid down by God (or Helmholtz or Newton) are not suspended especially for soundbars."
Nethawk likes this.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page