Quest for my perfect option - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-21-2013, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've recently converted from a car audio guru to a home audio noob and I'll never look back. Ever since making my transition I've done nothing but ache over hi-fidelity and the $$$$ that come along with it. Right now I'm looking into purchasing a tube amplifier that will drive my Klipsch Forte ii's that has a headphone port so I can rock my cans as well. Through my nights of research trying to decide what my best route was, I've only come across one real promising prospect. The Qinpu A-6000 MKII is rated at 16.5WRMS X 2 and has a headphone port:) It scares me though because it's very small (physical size), and I'd be driving a pair of 100watt RMS (500watt peak) loudspeakers @ 16.5RMS per. Now from what I've gathered, tubes work differently then digital so 16.5 watts may be more then adequate. Buuuuut, I'm a little weary of ordering anything for $280 before asking you fine people your opinions! I've read peoples reviews about this little guy, and they say it has no problems filling a room even with the biggest of loudspeakers.. That's all hear-say because I have no real experience with it. Does anyone know of a situation similar to mine, or have actual experience with such things? I really want tubes because heck yes, they're tubes ; ) I can get a FABULOUS Digital Stereo Receiver with great functionality for less then a tube amp and I could then afford the Crites upgrades for my Forte's biggrin.gif Does anyone want to shine some light on me, or possibly suggest another tube/stereo option? I'm very open to idea's and questions if you have any. I would say my pallpark spending limit would be $400 AT MAX! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-21-2013, 08:37 AM

Liked: 34
My view is that modern day amplifiers, including tube amps, which are designed to be linear - by which I mean produce inaudibly low distortion at all frequencies w/in our hearing range - will sound so close to one another as to make the decision less about their individual sound and more about power output (does it produce enough to drive your speakers to your desired volume?), ergonomics (easy to use?), feature set (do you want room correction, tone/bass, balance, mono switch?), aesthetics (is it suitably attractive?).

Personally, despite it's hip retro charm, I couldn't abide owning that amp for the simple reason that it has virtually no features I deem essential. ..To not have a balance control, or "mono" switch, is in my view a deal-breaker. Audiophiles (a self-annointed credential for which there are no sensible qualifications) view such features as anathema, but I think they are less interested in hearing music and more interested in being snooty connoisseurs. These features make it possible to enjoy poorly recorded music almost as much as the perfectly recorded stuff that is favored by audiophiles.

Personally, I'd much sooner buy an affordable AVR, or if you don't like their ergonomics (I generally don't) then give thought to an integrated amp from NAD, Marantz, or, if you're very budget-constrined, AudioSource. . ..I very much doubt this little amp, in the best of circumstances, sounds any better than any of these options, yet each of these has a great many more features and tons more power. ..16 w/ch is pretty anemic.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-21-2013, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for your input syd123! I figured this little guy would be a last resort thing but it was the only thing I could find that fit all qualifications. I'll definitely start looking into 2channel integrated amps. Any recommendations or tips on finding one to suit all needs?
post #4 of 7 Old 03-21-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Having owned Khorn, LaScala and Heresy and powering them with many tube and SS amps, both commercial and my own designs, I see no practical or sonic benefit to using a tube amp with them. Take Syd's advice.

If you want better sound, consider them a starter horn system and look to a better design. Klipsch use some really mediocre parts and exaggerate about efficiency. A 15" SEOS design would likely be a large improvement over them.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-22-2013, 01:26 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

Having owned Khorn, LaScala and Heresy and powering them with many tube and SS amps, both commercial and my own designs, I see no practical or sonic benefit to using a tube amp with them. Take Syd's advice.

If you want better sound, consider them a starter horn system and look to a better design...A 15" SEOS design would likely be a large improvement over them.

I kind of agree with this, although I must have gotten more fun out of the process than others. If you must, I would suggest a Dynaco ST-70, rehabbed or built by a qualified technician. Such a beast would probably double your budget, but would also hold it's value so you can sell it at little or no loss if you find you don't like it.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-22-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Highwood View Post

I kind of agree with this, although I must have gotten more fun out of the process than others.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy building and working on tube gear, but I'm not deluded enough to believe they have some magical property that makes them sound better. The iron in ST70's is very average.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-23-2013, 05:28 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

The iron in ST70's is very average.

Ummm what?
Dynaco's A 470 opt's were/are exceptional iron.
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page