Two channel music with a big sound stage. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-21-2013, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I have been a music fan since I can remember. One of my favorite things to do is sit in the sweet spot between my Carver alIII's powered by a Mcintosh amp. I mention my equipment because it presents a very big but well controlled sound stage. I am always looking for well recorded two channel music that fills the room with layers of sound. I also like intimate recordings. One of the recordings that I've been listening to lately is "perfect mother" by Basia. Incredible recording. So, what are your favorite go to recordings that put a smile on your face?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-23-2013, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Waltz for Debby - bill evans trio- you can hear people chatting on the bar, coins dropped... EXC recording with amazing detatails! The whole album is perfect

Light my Fire - eliane elias- specially I love her version of Light my Fire song

There are many others, but my favorite is waltz for debbie... You just close your eyes, lights off, and listen....
post #3 of 6 Old 03-23-2013, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsandovalb View Post

Waltz for Debby - bill evans trio- you can hear people chatting on the bar, coins dropped... EXC recording with amazing detatails! The whole album is perfect.

+1 ....million biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I have the complete village vanguard recordings, which is literally everything the trio played that day. SOOOOO good, for music played, sound quality, crowd chatter/ambient noises, everything. I would also point someone in this direction if they are still somewhat new to jazz. Scott LaFaro, the bass player, has a lot of intricate solo time, and is a lot of fun to listen to.

I also enjoy really enjoy Odelay by Beck. I'm sure a few members here have a fancy copy of Sea Change collecting dust, and that about sums up their Beck experience.... and that kind of breaks my heart. Odelay deserves just as much (if not more) attention. Lots of fun effects and bits and pieces of music to be thrown around the soundstage. Derelict is a fun track to start with. Also, the Mutations album is a lot of fun, but I would choose Odelay first in a heart beat.

2.0 > 7.1
post #4 of 6 Old 03-23-2013, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Thanks guys. I am familiar with The Bill Evans Trio but not that recording. I'll check it out on Mog. I was at the Village Vanguard A few years ago while visiting my daughter in nyc. The vibe in that place is indescribable.

post #5 of 6 Old 03-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

I was at the Village Vanguard A few years ago while visiting my daughter in nyc. The vibe in that place is indescribable

eek.gif not fair! wink.gif

FYI, this is the box set I mentioned; of which the music bsandovalb's recommendation came from too...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Complete_Village_Vanguard_Recordings,_1961

2.0 > 7.1
post #6 of 6 Old 03-24-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
One all-time classic is the recording "Jazz at The Pawnshop", featuring Lars Erstrand, one of the best vibraphone players ever.

It is a really amazing recording. The Pawnshop is a jazz club in Stockholm and it also has the ambiance of the audience and clinking glasses...lol.

The recordings on the Swedish labels Proprius and OPUS 3 are famous for their incredibly good recorded sound. May Audio is the US distributor for OPUS 3.

Delos is a US label that similarly has an excellent high standard and employs only the finest recording engineers and equipment.

Dave Brubeck's "Gone With the Wind" album is also excellent, if you can find it. I have an old vinyl double album (with Take 5).

One of the great all-time orchestra recordings is the RCA recording of "Pictures at an Exhibition" by the Chicago Symphony under Fritz Reiner. It is currently available on LP, SACD, and CD.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page