Speaker wire verse wifi/LAN - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-26-2013, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How much signal degradation can be expected by using 20' to 30' of speaker wire from an amp vs running cat5 (or wireless) to a DAC -> amp -> 10' of speaker wires?

Is setting up a network (or wireless) really worth the trouble verse running 10/12 ga speaker wire through a crawl space for 20-30 feet?

This setup would be for 2-channel music only: Amp would be connected to a usb DAC coming from our everyday desktop computer running JRiver using Gizmo on a galaxy (Android) tablet as a remote.

Running speaker wire just seems a lot simpler and cheaper; then setting up network anything. Two amp zones would be next to the (JRiver) computer and living room across our homes entrance hallway.

I am not an audiophile but appreciate good SQ from my Marantz PM7001 integrated amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-26-2013, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot; amp volume would be controlled using an IR repeater.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-26-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Save the money and run the speaker-wire. Twenty to thirty feet is not very significant when it is 10 or 12 gauge wire. Thirty feet of 12 gauge would only be .1 ohm, round trip.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Speaker wire verse wifi/LAN

My land line phone is more reliable than my cell. Hardwire whenever possible.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Shep View Post

Speaker wire verse wifi/LAN

My land line phone is more reliable than my cell. Hardwire whenever possible.

+1.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-26-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by astropuppy View Post

How much signal degradation can be expected by using 20' to 30' of speaker wire from an amp vs running cat5 (or wireless) to a DAC -> amp -> 10' of speaker wires?

20 to 30 feet of properly sized ordinary speaker wire need not cause audible signal degradation with any reasonably designed speaker.

20 to 30 feet of ordinary shielded cable for line level signals need not cause audible signal degradation. Just put the power amp near to the speakers.

20 to 30 feet of ordinary coax cable for digital signals need not cause audible signal degradation. Just put the a DAC and a power amp close to the speakers.
Quote:
Is setting up a network (or wireless) really worth the trouble verse running 10/12 ga speaker wire through a crawl space for 20-30 feet?

No.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-26-2013, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the vote of confidence everybody. I may really not be nuts.

Now the only question is will I be able to notice any (listening) difference between the Squeezebox Duet (DAC) currently being used and a Behringer UCA202 DAC currently hooked up to the computer.

My guess is I will not be able to tell the difference. Speakers are a pair of Ascend Sierra-1s.

This speaker wire idea came about because I bought the Behringer to upgrade my computer sound. The Behringer currently feeds an old Marantz SR1000 into a couple Polk R15 bookshelf speakers. The SR1000 looks nice but sonic wise it's seen better days.

Thanks again.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-26-2013, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

20 to 30 feet of ordinary shielded cable for line level signals need not cause audible signal degradation. Just put the power amp near to the speakers.

Thanks; that answers my question about running my old Velo VA-1 (rebuilt) sub-woofer.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-27-2013, 05:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by astropuppy View Post

Thanks for the vote of confidence everybody. I may really not be nuts.

Now the only question is will I be able to notice any (listening) difference between the Squeezebox Duet (DAC) currently being used and a Behringer UCA202 DAC currently hooked up to the computer.

My guess is I will not be able to tell the difference. Speakers are a pair of Ascend Sierra-1s.

I found this tech test of what appears to be an earlier or related model:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?97950-MEASUREMENTS-Some-Squeezebox-numbers-to-consider&s=7c9dbc80ad7ab8ffc6b34ac2038469ea&p=734926&viewfull=1#post734926

Usually these kind of products maintain or improve their performance over upgrades and iterations.

I would expect no inherent changes to sound quality with the proposed change. The two major sources of SQ problems in most systems are the original recording and the listening room.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-27-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Cat5 cable is 24-26AWG, probably not the best choice. I'd use 14AWG speaker wire.

I haven't got any experience with the Duet but have used both Squeezebox original and Touch, no problems with their DAC that my amateur ears could pick up. My configuration now uses DAC in my receivers instead but only due to convenience.

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page