Damaged speaker cable: Could 2 speakers be wired with the AVR via 2 positives but only 1 neg? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-27-2013, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have two ceiling speakers (in a bedroom). Unfortunately it appears that one speaker cable has been damaged somewhere along the route during the renovation works of my flat. The speaker itself has been tested by the installer and works fine. So it looks as something has either cut partially the cable or a screw/nail has been put inside. It is not possible to determine where the cable has been damaged as it goes a long way through walls/ceiling. However only one conductor of the speaker cable has been damaged.

Could I bypass the damaged conductor by using the undamaged conductor for the positive and then wire the negative connector of this speaker to the other ceiling speaker (which speaker cable is not damaged) so to as to share its negative conductor? Hence there will be 2 positive conductors for each speaker, but one shared negative conductor. Could I still get Stereo audio? Will the AVR negative connector be overloaded? Is there a piece of equipment to be used to potentially solve this problem?

For reference, the AVR is a Yamaha RX-V373.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Pistou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-27-2013, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I would expend a lot of energy and time (and a little bit of money) trying to repair/replace that wire before trying anything like that. I don't think your solution would work the way you described. [EDIT - I stand corrected - see ArnyK below] Running them both from the a single wire pair in mono is probably the best available option without running a new wire, and even that is risky for both your speakers and amp.

How long of a run are we talking? Is the wire tied down within the ceiling/wall, or is it loose? If it's loose, just securely attach a new wire to the old, and pull the old out from the other end until the end of the new wire pops out the other end. If you can access the wire at any point in the run, you can use a multimeter to figure out whether the break is on one side or the other and splice in a new section of wire to bypass the break. [EDIT - I'd still try to run new wire or repair if you can, but good to know there's a backup option]

post #3 of 4 Old 03-27-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistou View Post

I have two ceiling speakers (in a bedroom). Unfortunately it appears that one speaker cable has been damaged somewhere along the route during the renovation works of my flat. The speaker itself has been tested by the installer and works fine. So it looks as something has either cut partially the cable or a screw/nail has been put inside. It is not possible to determine where the cable has been damaged as it goes a long way through walls/ceiling. However only one conductor of the speaker cable has been damaged.

Could I bypass the damaged conductor by using the undamaged conductor for the positive and then wire the negative connector of this speaker to the other ceiling speaker (which speaker cable is not damaged) so to as to share its negative conductor? Hence there will be 2 positive conductors for each speaker, but one shared negative conductor. Could I still get Stereo audio? Will the AVR negative connector be overloaded? Is there a piece of equipment to be used to potentially solve this problem?

For reference, the AVR is a Yamaha RX-V373.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Typically all of the black speaker terminals on an AVR are tied together, and rather stoutly. There are exceptions, but most of them involve switchmode power amps. If this were a automotive electronics this would likely not be the case. Bu,t the RX-V373 is a conventional home audio AVR with linear power amps. All the black speaker terminals are wired together inside the AVR so what you do with the outside wiring along those lines is usually not a big thing.

AFAIK the RX-V373 is not an exception and all of its black speaker terminals are wired to a common point inside the AVR near the power supply. This means that whether you have two wires coming back from a pair of speakers or just one, from the AVR's viewpoint, not much of a difference. When there are 2 wires they are stoutly hooked together inside the AVR.

The only possible question would relate to the gauge of the speaker wire. If it were say 24 gauge and the cable were long enough, a loss of channel separation could occur. However then there would probably be other, more audible effects.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-28-2013, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 106
A quick check with an ohm meter should confirm what Arnie said. If each negative terminal is grounded to each other on a common ground then the damaged wire could be side-stepped just as you mention in your post.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page