I'm shopping for headphones/headsets and could use some help - AVS Forum
2-Channel Audio > I'm shopping for headphones/headsets and could use some help
kittyinabottle's Avatar kittyinabottle 08:27 PM 03-31-2013
I've been casually shopping on and off for a good pair of headphones/headsets for a few months and I've compiled together a list of all the headphones/headsets I found and have seen recommended quite often. My problem now is that I'm a bit overwhelmed and could use some help in the decision making process. My budget is around $100 - $130 and I plan to use them primarily for gaming, but I also do a lot of audio editing and compositing, so that needs to be considered as well. I'm not sure if that changes anything though. Anyway, here is my list:

HEADPHONES

Before, I hadn't considered headphones because I would like to have a microphone, but recently I was told about the antlion modmic which looks great, so I've decided to go ahead and add them to the list:

AKG Acoustics K-240 - $82

Audio Technica ATH-AD700 - $100

Sennheiser HD-280 PRO - $96

Samson Technologies SR850 - $50

HEADSETS

Corsair Vengeance 1500 - $80

Corsair HS1A - $80

Steel Series Siberia V2 - $90

Logitech G35 - $90

So, what do you think? Which pair would work best and should I go for a gaming headset or the headphone + Antlion combo? Your help would be very much appreciated. Please feel free to suggest any other headphones/sets as well. Thanks.

Audit This's Avatar Audit This 12:49 AM 04-01-2013
Fostex t50rp

Never listened to them but so many swear by them in that price range you might as well add them to the list. They can be found in chain music stores.
JD NC's Avatar JD NC 07:25 AM 04-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyinabottle View Post

My budget is around $100 - $130 and I plan to use them primarily for gaming, but I also do a lot of audio editing and compositing, so that needs to be considered as well.

The Senneheiser HD280 is a great choice for audio editing. There are probably some on your list that are better suited to gaming, but the accuracy and clarity on the HD280 is hard to beat in other cans at that price point. FWIW, the $150 HD380 Pro is even better and much more comfortable for long stretches. Both are usually on display at Bestbuy, so definitely try those out.
arnyk's Avatar arnyk 11:23 AM 04-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyinabottle View Post

I've been casually shopping on and off for a good pair of headphones/headsets for a few months and I've compiled together a list of all the headphones/headsets I found and have seen recommended quite often. My problem now is that I'm a bit overwhelmed and could use some help in the decision making process. My budget is around $100 - $130 and I plan to use them primarily for gaming, but I also do a lot of audio editing and compositing, so that needs to be considered as well. I'm not sure if that changes anything though. Anyway, here is my list:

HEADPHONES

Before, I hadn't considered headphones because I would like to have a microphone, but recently I was told about the antlion modmic which looks great, so I've decided to go ahead and add them to the list:

AKG Acoustics K-240 - $82

Audio Technica ATH-AD700 - $100

Sennheiser HD-280 PRO - $96

Samson Technologies SR850 - $50

HEADSETS

Corsair Vengeance 1500 - $80

Corsair HS1A - $80

Steel Series Siberia V2 - $90

Logitech G35 - $90

So, what do you think? Which pair would work best and should I go for a gaming headset or the headphone + Antlion combo? Your help would be very much appreciated. Please feel free to suggest any other headphones/sets as well. Thanks.

The last set of headphones that I bought are HD 380 refurbs, which I like very much, and last set of earphones are Sony XBA-1 which I also like, bodes well for the whole XBA line. XBA-2s may be in your price range.

The HD380s are closed ear models, which are nice for the isolation, as compared to most modern headphones which are open air.

In ear earphones like the XBA-1s tend to do the best job of blocking external noise, which is either the good news or the bad news depending on where you listen.

You might enjoy reading the reviews here: http://en.goldenears.net/GE_GoldenEars
kittyinabottle's Avatar kittyinabottle 04:16 PM 04-01-2013
Thanks for the replies! I've actually just decided that I would rather get a quality pair of headphones for gaming and then eventually buy a pair for editing, so I don't end up buy a pair that can averagely do both. What would your suggestions be for that?
Nick_si's Avatar Nick_si 10:07 AM 04-04-2013
I would go with the Audio technica ATH M50s they are great for gaming and great for music/editing very flat with a tiny bit of low end bias. I got mine for a C note... used ofc but that was years ago. Also if you do any travelling they are super robust
Up
Mobile  Desktop