Which music format for both iphone and car steoro? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-08-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi,

I'm archiving my music CDs with dbpoweramp in FLAC. At the same time, I'd like to make a copy in compressed format for iphone and car steoro use, which format would be compatible for both?

thanks,

Jason

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-08-2013, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
How are you playing your music in your car? If you are only using an iphone, or ipod I would go with 320kps AAC files. If not using Apple products, go with 320kps MP3.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-18-2013, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafan View Post

Hi,

I'm archiving my music CDs with dbpoweramp in FLAC. At the same time, I'd like to make a copy in compressed format for iphone and car steoro use, which format would be compatible for both?

thanks,

Jason

Why not just get an app that can import the FLAC tracks such as Golden Ears or FLAC Player? Then you don't need to convert anything.

Otherwise, 256kbps AAC sounds pretty good for a lossy format.
post #4 of 12 Old 04-20-2013, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
What hogger said. Not sure which device you use for playing, but both Winamp and Poweramp now support FLAC. I use Spotify any more in my autos (android phone), before then I switched off between these two regularly. I did simultaneously rip all of my CDs to FLAC and MP3 just for the purpose you state, but I haven't played an MP3 yet - there's no need.

post #5 of 12 Old 04-27-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like AIFF, it is true uncompressed, stores the metadata like the artwork, and is compatible with just about anything.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-28-2013, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevypower View Post

I like AIFF, it is true uncompressed, stores the metadata like the artwork, and is compatible with just about anything.

There really is no advantage in it though. Lossless codecs like ALAC and FLAC can both store metadata, and have a smaller file size than uncompressed formats like AIFF or WAV. It would just be wasting space.

OP: I would stay with FLAC. It's pretty future proof and there are apps to play it on an iDevice. For creating a compressed version for the car, I'd probably stick with MP3 @ 320kbps because just about everything can play it.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-03-2013, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Hope this is still a live thread.

Is there anyway of playing flac files from a portable media player through the aux jack of the car audio system?

If so, which portable media players might play flac, and have a an aux out jack socket to connect to the car's aux in?

Would I be better off considering play via a tablet with a flac app and line out, or even a laptop with a line out?? Would I need to be concerned about compatibility (electrically speaking, power-level wise) with device line out and car sound line in?

Just hoping for better quality sound in the car than MP3 files from a usb flash drive (will not trust original cd's in a car cd player).

Car is a Honda Accord Euro 2011/12 model and sound system is the model without also navigation.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-03-2013, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes. Whether Aux or USB, if your car stereo has the appropriate interface this can be done. There will be no power concerns.

As for the second question, few don't have what you want. Why not use a smartphone with an app that will play your lossless content? Both Winamp and Poweramp apps for Android support flac. Just use the headphone jack connected to car stereo aux input.

post #9 of 12 Old 06-03-2013, 09:19 AM

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafan View Post

Hi,

thanks,

Jason

Best format for Iphone is ALAC, which is roughly the same size as FLAC and is also lossless. Very easy to losslessly convert back and forth between FLAC and ALAC, too, so you're not locked in either way. Next best, as others have said, is 320kbps AAC, which has significantly smaller file size, and sound very good. Next to impossible to tell the difference between FLAC/ALAC and high bitrate AAC in a car environment, IMO.

post #10 of 12 Old 06-03-2013, 09:27 AM

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaudio View Post

Hope this is still a live thread.

Is there anyway of playing flac files from a portable media player through the aux jack of the car audio system?

If so, which portable media players might play flac, and have a an aux out jack socket to connect to the car's aux in?

Would I be better off considering play via a tablet with a flac app and line out, or even a laptop with a line out?? Would I need to be concerned about compatibility (electrically speaking, power-level wise) with device line out and car sound line in?

Just hoping for better quality sound in the car than MP3 files from a usb flash drive (will not trust original cd's in a car cd player).

Car is a Honda Accord Euro 2011/12 model and sound system is the model without also navigation.

IOS devices don't play flac natively, but there are third party apps available. Android has plenty of FLAC players available, and they integrate better at the OS level.

Playing FLAC through a line out will get you very good sound quality, and will be hard to improve on in a car environment. Theoretically, the components may make a difference, but there's far too much noise and bad acoustics in even a well designed car for you to be able to hear it. It's hard enough to hear the difference between a 320kbps AAC file and a FLAC/ALAC/CD version in a car environment, so anything that sends a clean line-out signal from a lossless file will sound great.

post #11 of 12 Old 06-03-2013, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Thanks for all the responses, guys.

May be in the market for a tablet or notebook by end of year, might be the best way to go.

When I asked about "power problem" I was thinking in terms of compatibility between car aux in jack and the signal level, voltage level or whatever of any external source (not a techo, so may not be using correct terminology here).
post #12 of 12 Old 06-04-2013, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Nothing to worry about, modern autos come with plug & play smile.gif

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page