post #31 of 46 Old 04-20-2013, 04:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post

That's what I'm beginning to think, as well...

Have you swapped the cables to see if it follows the particular channel yet?

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 04-20-2013, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

Have you swapped the cables to see if it follows the particular channel yet?

Bill

I seriously doubt it. Judging from his posts, he seems hellbent on ignoring all the suggestions and advice he's been given in this thread.
post #33 of 46 Old 04-21-2013, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 56
One thing I will say I notice is that vocals on a particular track -- or perhaps even when the Tuner is being listened to -- tend to be isolated in that left channel speaker; I don't know if this is how the mixer/engineer intended the track(s) to be heard and experienced, but it seems almost universal across many CD releases in my collection and, as I said, over the air via Tuner. It's almost as if the majority of all vocals are coming from that left speaker, while accompanying score/music/cymbals/background vocals tend to break into that right speaker...

Just an observation...

post #34 of 46 Old 02-03-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 248
I just tortured myself finding the cause of the balance problem within my system. Previously this was not a problem so I was surprised that in my ridiculously expensive, I having the sound center of my stereo pair floating closer to the left main speaker instead of the center.

I used some perfectly centered test tones available online to first test my suspicion. At first you think you are just "hearing things". To complicate matters I have been suffering from a cold and figured one of my ears was clogged up. Steadily I realized it was not my ears. To make matters more interesting, I just switched from an Integra 80.3 to a Marantz 8801 and I was worried the new unit was faulty.

First step: checked my speaker level settings and manually made sure neither of the speakers was accidentally set to high or low. This was not the case.
Second step: I switched the left and right channel to my amplifier to see if any difference was present (such as skewing to the right). This was not the case.

I had recently been messing with my subwoofers and wiggling speakers around the room so:

Third Step: I re-centered EVERYTHING to the 1/4" to be sure my main listening position was lined up correctly. Despite doing this (my speakers were off a few inches), the problem persisted.

My room is acoustically treated and perfectly symmetrical so I knew the problem was not a boundary / room reflection problem, especially after setting up the location of the speakers perfectly

Eventually I discovered that the right speaker's banana plug had "flattened out" and lost its tension. Possibly during adjustments of my speakers, the wires came just slightly loose. I pulled off the banana connectors, used some pliers to widen them out (so they have more tension when they are placed into the speaker receptacle).

The problem was SOLVED! Thank god nothing was wrong with my speakers, amplifier, or pre-amp.... that's always a much worse nightmare.

So in summary: for a balance problem: check with 100% certainty that your wiring has PERFECT connections. A partial connection can generate sound but increase resistance substantially and affect your balance.

Blazar!
post #35 of 46 Old 02-04-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Another piece of advice, unless you use room
Correction or have a particularly symmetrical room... Your speakers need to be exactly the same distance from your sitting position. Even 1/2" or 1/4" can be audible as a balance problem.

I used a string to go from the center of my screen and make a perpindicular to the back of my room. It turns out the room is trapezoidal slightly by a few inches. My couches looked like they were centered but they weren't.

The key is to have speakers exactly the same distance from your listening position. The other room effects have to be evaluated after the speaker distance is first accounted for.

Blazar!
post #36 of 46 Old 02-17-2014, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Interesting, B, that you brought this topic back to life because I was getting ready to reply in it again -- it seems I'm still having this "balance leaning" issue with my two channel system but the weirdest thing in the world is that it happens on and off...sometimes, it seems like the sound is between the two speakers (Infinity 363s) while other times it seems like there's definitely a left channel bias...and this is with the balance knob centered on my stereo receiver...

What concerns me is that when I move the receiver's balance knob all the way to the RIGHT to test it or compensate, it STILL seems like that channel is "weak" -- it takes almost an entire bias to the right to make that channel seem to "come to life," indicating to me I MAY have gotten a "shot" channel out of the box with this Onkyo (which I otherwise adore)...

post #37 of 46 Old 02-17-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Its possible our hearing is slightly to the left but it's hard to make such a fine +/- 1db distinction in formal hearing testing.

Blazar!
post #38 of 46 Old 02-18-2014, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Let's further explore your "exact listening distance" theory for a moment because I am not 100-percent sure both towers are precisely the same distance from my seating position -- could the issue still reside in the whole "corner loaded" system placement problem, being that one speaker (the left) is closer to a wall than the right?

post #39 of 46 Old 02-18-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Let's further explore your "exact listening distance" theory for a moment because I am not 100-percent sure both towers are precisely the same distance from my seating position -- could the issue still reside in the whole "corner loaded" system placement problem, being that one speaker (the left) is closer to a wall than the right?

Yes corner loading can make a definite difference. I am assuming the theoretical perfect symmetrical placement.

In an odd shaped room or placement you may have no choice besides doing a balance adjustment

Blazar!
post #40 of 46 Old 02-18-2014, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

Yes corner loading can make a definite difference. I am assuming the theoretical perfect symmetrical placement.

Yes, I believe...
Quote:
In an odd shaped room or placement you may have no choice besides doing a balance adjustment

I understand; thanks. But the thing still is, I'm concerned that when I move the balance knob almost all the way to the right (to compensate for the left sounding more "dominant"), it STILL sounds a bit "weaker" than the left in terms of output -- as a good example, when I run a CD player laser lens cleaner diagnostic through the system (a Scotch brand version) and it spits out test tones for the left and right channels while then playing music to test for balance, the right ALWAYS sounds weaker especially when the snippets of test music come on or the test tones sound...this, unfortunately, indicates to me I may have gotten a somewhat blown amp channel out of the box with this stereo receiver...

post #41 of 46 Old 02-18-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I believe...
I understand; thanks. But the thing still is, I'm concerned that when I move the balance knob almost all the way to the right (to compensate for the left sounding more "dominant"), it STILL sounds a bit "weaker" than the left in terms of output -- as a good example, when I run a CD player laser lens cleaner diagnostic through the system (a Scotch brand version) and it spits out test tones for the left and right channels while then playing music to test for balance, the right ALWAYS sounds weaker especially when the snippets of test music come on or the test tones sound...this, unfortunately, indicates to me I may have gotten a somewhat blown amp channel out of the box with this stereo receiver...

I was tortured by this problem for years when living in an apartment which is why I eventually saved up enough money to construct a house!

The balance knob is a crude solution and not as good as a symmetrical room

Blazar!
post #42 of 46 Old 02-18-2014, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was tortured by this problem for years when living in an apartment which is why I eventually saved up enough money to construct a house!

The balance knob is a crude solution and not as good as a symmetrical room

Still...even in a perfectly SYMMETRICAL ROOM, if the balance seemed too heavily biased to the LEFT wouldn't it indicate something is wrong with an AMP CHANNEL?

post #43 of 46 Old 02-18-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Well of course that is possible, I would exclude all sources of balance issues from source to speakers to room and sitting position

Blazar!
post #44 of 46 Old 02-18-2014, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well of course that is possible, I would exclude all sources of balance issues from source to speakers to room and sitting position

Here's the thing, and what concerned me greatly in the entire situation...this issue seems to occur no matter which source I'm listening to -- tuner, CD, "aux" input from my dual CD player/mixing DJ unit...so I don't think it's being caused by, say, analog RCA cables from the CD changer not being plugged in tightly enough, etc. etc....

post #45 of 46 Old 02-18-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Reverse the speaker main wires at the amp, that will tell you for sure where the issue is

Blazar!
post #46 of 46 Old 02-18-2014, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Shall attempt that at some point...thank you.

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page