Speaker placement - asymmetrical room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-20-2013, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi everyone. After years dreaming about it, i’m now finally on the verge of having a home-theater/2ch audio dedicated room. I have the room for it, where I'll also have a projector and 5.1 system, but being 2 channel audio my main interest, I’m worried with the placement of the two main speakers because the room isn’t rectangular.

The image attached shows my doubt: should I center the two (frontal) speakers as showed in A, or as displayed in B? The weird shape of the room will almost surely hurt sound quality, but it's really the only possible room I can use.

Ideally I'd wait till everything is ready, of course, and then test both options properly, but beforehand I must decide where to put the lights, projector screen, and so on. If I get it wrong, everything ends off-center by quite a bit. frown.gif

Another issue I have is deciding the height of the room. Initially I thought the best would be to have the ceiling as high as possible (that’s around 118 inches), but I’m worried with the length of the room being almost exactly twice that. I really didn’t want to have less than 110 inches.

if anyone can give any guess regarding this, I’d appreciate it.
Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-20-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
"B" is correct because that places the speakers symmetrically left and right in the room. More here:

How to set up a room

This short article is mainly about home recording, but all the same principles apply to hi-fi and home theater too:

Acoustic Basics

As for room dimensions, my Graphical Mode Calculator article and software will help you find a good height.

--Ethan
Silva741 likes this.

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #3 of 4 Old 04-24-2013, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thank you very much, Ethan. I checked your links, there’s tons of useful info there. It’s complex but very well explained. One question regarding option B, though… the site’s explanation focus a lot on the first reflections, should I be worried about the right side wall being that way?

I know you said the correct is to place the “speakers symmetrically left and right in the room”, but being first reflections so important perhaps the point to be careful is the middle point between the two first side reflections? so, the "center" of the room would be slightly to the left of option B.

It’s probably a dumb question, but in any case it’s better ask now.
Again, thank you very much.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-24-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva741 View Post

so, the "center" of the room would be slightly to the left of option B. It’s probably a dumb question, but in any case it’s better ask now.

There's no such thing as a dumb question, only a dumb answer. I'll try hard not to give you one of those. biggrin.gif

This room is not ideal, but it's so close that the difference isn't worth worrying about. I suggest you center the speakers left and right as in B, then center your listening seat left and right, then angle the speakers so they both point directly at your head. This way you get the needed symmetry, even though the room narrows a bit toward the rear. Then you can use the "mirror trick" to find the reflection points (center of the areas really).

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page