NO RECEIVER? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-21-2013, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any way i can just buy a powered sub and also buy some other speakers like small book shelve speakers and just hook up those small speakers to the powered sub and then hook the powered sub into my TV? I dont want to spend the money on a whole surround sound kit when I dont use DVD players, also would this sound also be played out of my xbox 360? Can someone please clarify this for me? If i need any adapters or a specific kind of powered sub just tell me...What kind of out puts would the sub need to have for the speakers to connect to it? Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-21-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Not gonna work. The powered sub only supplies power
To the subwoofer speaker. If you dont want a receiver
Then you would need to buy powered speakers.

The connectors you need would depend on what
Powered speakers/powered sub you buy.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-21-2013, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
no,
you may be a candidate for an HTIB setup, where the receiver, sub, speakers all come together in a set. Not the quality of individual components, but often good enough.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-21-2013, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 254
If you buy active monitors (stereo speakers which have a built-in amplifier) and an active subwoofer, you can just run them off RCA cables and a splitter.
I think some monitors have a passthrough on them, so you wouldn't even need a splitter - you would just have RCA cables from the back of your TV going to the monitors, and another set of RCA cables from the monitors to the subwoofer.

You need to be sure that your TV is capable of adjusting the volume of its RCA output though - some of them have a fixed level and would not be suitable for this type of setup. (because then you would be controlling volume on the monitors and subwoofer themselves, which means having to adjust two volume controls each time you make a change)

If your TV doesn't allow for this, you would need to get a preamplifier to control the volume, or buy an integrated stereo amplifier (with a passthrough) and get bookshelf speakers rather than active monitors.

Alternatively, there are some 2.1 "desktop" or "multimedia" (PC) speaker kits that have a powered subwoofer, which has an amplifier that drives both the sub and the stereo speakers. The Corsair SP2500 would be an example of that. I'm quite sure that companies like Logitech have similar offerings - but I can't speak to the quality of any of those.
KBM4130 likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-22-2013, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you everyone for your help,I suppose it will be a lot easier to just buy a surround sound altogether? Also is there a difference in bass quality between a powered subwoofer and a passive subwoofer that would just come in a kit? Or could i maybe be able to buy a cheap kit with a reciver then also buy a good 12" powered sub and just hook the powered sub up to the receiver that came in that kit?
post #6 of 7 Old 04-22-2013, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
SInce we don't know what kind of powered sub you have no, nor do we know what HTIB you are looking to get, it's impossible to say if you will have the same quality, worse quality, or even better quality from the sub that comes with the system. The big benefit of a sub that comes in the package is that it will be designed specifically for the speakers that's in that system, making integration much easier. Also, most subs that comes in HTIB packages are powered...

"Suddenly the thought struck me, my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin
post #7 of 7 Old 04-22-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBM4130 View Post

Is there any way i can just buy a powered sub and also buy some other speakers like small book shelve speakers and just hook up those small speakers to the powered sub and then hook the powered sub into my TV? I dont want to spend the money on a whole surround sound kit when I dont use DVD players, also would this sound also be played out of my xbox 360? Can someone please clarify this for me? If i need any adapters or a specific kind of powered sub just tell me...What kind of out puts would the sub need to have for the speakers to connect to it? Thanks for your time.

Refurb low end AVRs are an unbeatable value:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXSR309/Onkyo-TX-SR309-5.1-Channel-3-D-Ready-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page