Source HTPC via HDMI or USB only options - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-24-2013, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

So am doing a ground up rebuild of my system apart from the source.

Source: HTPC output options are HDMI (and USB if I buy a DAC)

I want good stereo music sound.

However, I also will be wanting HDMI for movies.

Currently using an AVR (which is due an upgrade for 3D capability).

Background current beliefs:

Speakers and room acoustics make up for 90% of the listening pleasure, as all my source options are 100% digital domain. Most ouput specs, (SNR, THD etc.) of the actual DAC chips are pretty similar so it's the post DAC conversion when in the analog stage that will have the most impact on audio changes.

I am a believer that one might have great speakers but in a bad room it can all go wrong. So I am not totally against Multi EQ XT32 which actually takes this in to account very accurately and makes the appropriate changes. Something that audiophiles will cringe at but quite frankly the technology has allowed this to occur and shouldn't shy away from it. At the end of the day it's more likely to bring you closer to how the album was mastered as that was done in near field listening environment. Where as my listening environment isn't the same and certainly wouldn't produce correct response at the seating position. Something I believe the majority of home enthusiasts would have as well.

Anyway, as I am doing an over haul I thought I would search for some options.

Only option I have come up with is
Music
1) JRiver -> DAC (via USB) -> Power Amp (is this possible?, what controls the volume?)

Movies
2) JRiver -> HDMI ->AVR-> L/R Channels Power Amp

3) JRiver ->

Currently

JRiver -> music+ movies via HDMI -> AVR -> Speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-25-2013, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper008 View Post

Currently

JRiver -> music+ movies via HDMI -> AVR -> Speakers
Is there a reason you're wanting to move away from this setup?

Whether you have an AVR or an external DAC, the digital-to-analog conversion process should be pretty much identical.
And a properly designed amplifier - whether it's an AVR, a Stereo Amp, or Power Amp/Monoblocks, should not color the sound.
It's the speakers, the room, and the source content that make the difference to how something sounds.

That's not to say there is no difference between how equipment sounds, but once you are past the very low budget stuff, you're mostly paying for a fancy looking box and the brand name.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-25-2013, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

Is there a reason you're wanting to move away from this setup?

Whether you have an AVR or an external DAC, the digital-to-analog conversion process should be pretty much identical.
And a properly designed amplifier - whether it's an AVR, a Stereo Amp, or Power Amp/Monoblocks, should not color the sound.
It's the speakers, the room, and the source content that make the difference to how something sounds.

That's not to say there is no difference between how equipment sounds, but once you are past the very low budget stuff, you're mostly paying for a fancy looking box and the brand name.

That's my current thinking, but there seems to be an overwhelming number of people (probably those who have already spent the $$ ) saying this isn't the case.

But speaker upgrade and an AVR upgrade are going to occur. Just wait for good second hand speakers to turn up.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page