noob question: how to set up audiolab m-dac? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-28-2013, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i kind of just jumped into the world of high end computer audio a couple of weeks back (as you can probably see based off my other posts) and right when i started reading up on all the lovely gear an m-dac came up for a price i couldn't resist. now that i've got it, though, i'm wondering... do i *just* hook up the usb or how should i be running it? no cables came with it, other than the power cord. do i now need to invest a small fortune in cables?

i'm using a pair of audioengine a5+ powered speakers with my imac- adding a sub soon.

thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-29-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 44
In setting up any new device, reading the manual is a good start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRKM View Post

no cables came with it, other than the power cord. do i now need to invest a small fortune in cables?
As you are new to the hobby, might as well get thyis out of the way. You don't need to spend very much on cables at all to get the very best performance out of gear. As soon as you start to read flowery prose describing purported cable 'sonic' attributes, especially if they are expensive, move on.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-30-2013, 05:35 AM
post #4 of 5 Old 04-30-2013, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRKM View Post

i kind of just jumped into the world of high end computer audio a couple of weeks back (as you can probably see based off my other posts) and right when i started reading up on all the lovely gear an m-dac came up for a price i couldn't resist. now that i've got it, though, i'm wondering... do i *just* hook up the usb or how should i be running it? no cables came with it, other than the power cord. do i now need to invest a small fortune in cables?

With a USB DAC, yes: Just connect the DAC to a (powered) USB port. If it didn't come with cables, buy something inexpensive, but reliable, from a company like Monoprice.

Cables for home audio aren't an investment; they're another expense. Overpriced, brand-name cables (interconnect, power, USB, HDMI, or anything else) are designed specifically and solely to improve the profit margins of the manufacturers. A9X-308 get it exactly right when he says, "As soon as you start to read flowery prose describing purported cable 'sonic' attributes, especially if they are expensive, move on."

Personally, I own a number of Monster cables, all of which I bought at significant discounts through third-party sellers on Amazon. They're nicely constructed. They don't improve the audio. My friends aren't impressed with my refined tastes. But I like them anyway.

post #5 of 5 Old 05-01-2013, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the help, fellas! Much appreciated!

One more M-DAC Q:

Is there any way to retain using the iMac's volume control as a master control instead of using the M-DAC/remote? It takes away a bit of the convenience factor, but if I can't do it, I'll live.

It's just a bit annoying when the (powered) speakers' volume needs to be adjusted as well as the M-DAC as well as iTunes. Would be great if I could just set the speakers and dac and then just use the keyboard control.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page