Adcom GFA-555II Now What? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-02-2013, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Long story short, a coworker asked me if I wanted to help him make some space in his basement, and asked if I would mind taking some "old stereo equipment off his hands" - So I say sure. The next day he shows up at work with a practically brand new Adcom GFA-555II in the original box!!

So what to do now?

I currently own a Pioneer VSX-60 and wondered if I should preamp the Adcom from it? Or should I go a different route?

This may be a dumb question, but is there any way to simply just hook a cd player to the Adcom, and bypass my pioneer?

Thanks for helping a total Noob-wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-02-2013, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
You really need to use some sort of pre-amp with that Adcom. I used to have that amp and it was a beast. Sounded good, but I didn't really need it so I sold it. If your Pioneer has pre-outs, hook it up and see how you like it.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-02-2013, 10:17 AM

Yes you can hook it up to a cd player if the player has a built in volume control. Or better yet a blu-ray universal player that plays most formats plus streaming netflix etc. But I like having a modern preamp with all the connections and room correction. I have several Adcom amps and love them. As the previous poster said give it a try, if not you can hook it up in a different room. A matching preamp can be had on craigslist or ebay.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-02-2013, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Well thank you for posting such quick replies. I guess I have several options after looking into it this morning
• Option 1- Use the Zone 2 pre-amp feature from my VSX-60
• Option 2- Try going directly from my Sony BDPS380 ( I think it has a volume control on it )
• Option 3- Find an independent preamp to use.

Again thanks for all the help!

post #5 of 10 Old 05-03-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickusa View Post

Long story short, a coworker asked me if I wanted to help him make some space in his basement, and asked if I would mind taking some "old stereo equipment off his hands" - So I say sure. The next day he shows up at work with a practically brand new Adcom GFA-555II in the original box!!

So what to do now?

I currently own a Pioneer VSX-60 and wondered if I should preamp the Adcom from it? Or should I go a different route?

This may be a dumb question, but is there any way to simply just hook a cd player to the Adcom, and bypass my pioneer?

Thanks for helping a total Noob-wink.gif

Look, if someone gave you a brand new NASCAR racing engine in a crate, it would be possible for you to swap it into your minivan, and the minivan could then go like $#@!!.

However, from the standpoint of using the minivan to buy groceries or go to work, it would be pretty well ruined, and you would be out the value of the engine and all the work it took to swap it in.

You would be far better off cashing out the NASCAR engine and using the money to buy something that you need, like maybe a better subwoofer.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-03-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

You would be far better off cashing out the NASCAR engine and using the money to buy something that you need, like maybe a better subwoofer.

Or you can get a passive sub and use this amp to power it. According to this article, http://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/adcom/gfa-555-ii.htm, this amp is rated for 850 watts at 0.09% THD into 4 ohms in bridged mono! That is a beast of an amp.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-03-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Yikes! Arnolds Post Scared me this morning.. All the thoughts of Nascar powered Minivan's crashing just freaked me out.. : )

Actually I plugged it in last night and preamped it off the Zone two feature on my Pioneer attached some old DCM book shelf speakers to the Adcom, and to be honest - It sounded like CRZAP! So I quickly unhooked from the Zone 2, and went directly from the blue ray player into the Adcom and while I could not control the volume ( it was playing at what ever volume was output from the Sony BDPS380 ) it was A- MAZING. I tested it with SRV Chitlins con Carne- there is a dent in the floor where my jaw dropped.

Now that I know the thing works,I shut it all down and am going to start looking for a decent preamp and speakers to pair with this system. I have never had an amp like this before so i want to do it right.

No Nascar engines in a minivan;)
post #8 of 10 Old 05-03-2013, 07:43 AM

I did some A/B comparison between that amp and the internal amp to my HK 3490, no it wasn't a DBT, but I did attempt to level match to the best of my ability and did not hear much of a difference if any so I sold it and bought a sub. I didn't have to money at the time to follow my own suggestion and run a passive sub. I sold the GFA-555 and an Adcom Pre-amp for $500 and got the Simply Sound Rumba 12 sub.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-07-2013, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickusa View Post

Yikes! Arnolds Post Scared me this morning.. All the thoughts of Nascar powered Minivan's crashing just freaked me out.. : )

Actually I plugged it in last night and preamped it off the Zone two feature on my Pioneer attached some old DCM book shelf speakers to the Adcom, and to be honest - It sounded like CRZAP! So I quickly unhooked from the Zone 2, and went directly from the blue ray player into the Adcom and while I could not control the volume ( it was playing at what ever volume was output from the Sony BDPS380 ) it was A- MAZING. I tested it with SRV Chitlins con Carne- there is a dent in the floor where my jaw dropped.

Now that I know the thing works,I shut it all down and am going to start looking for a decent preamp and speakers to pair with this system. I have never had an amp like this before so i want to do it right.

No Nascar engines in a minivan;)

I owned the original incarnation of that amp (GFA-555) for 14 years, and it was an awesome piece. I used to live in a house where I could make almost as much noise as I wanted, and that amp would play to very high levels before the clipping lights would flicker, and by then my ears would be getting blown out anyway. Try this: Switch the amp off while music is playing at moderate levels; it'll keep playing for a minute or so. Good fun.

Now, to be honest, under most conditions, the mighty Adcom isn't gonna actually sound any different than anything else. Howeva, I like to have more power than I need (ya just never know), and the amp didn't actually cost you anything, so I say find a good mid-priced preamp and rock out.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-07-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Cool! Thats the plan. Looking for a preamp and some speakers.. Ill update when I get it all going. Thanks!
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page