Help with setting up best Blu-Ray sound for 2 channel system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-02-2013, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Hello everyone. I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have an Onkyo 805 and Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands. I just bought a Panasonic 65VT60 and would like to use it for 3D once in a while. What is the best sound option if the HDMI is sent directly to the TV and I am using optical to the 805? Is it 2 channel PCM? Is there a better option? I am hoping someone who uses a more legacy AVR can chime in and help me out. I can't use the 805 in the chain as it is only HDMI 1.3a and not 1.4.

On another note would it make a large SQ difference if I was to buy a new BR player with dual HDMI outs to take advantage of the 805 and its loseless capabilities, or does it not really matter with only two channel. Thanks for any help.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-03-2013, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 46
It depends on the dac in your onkyo. Bluray can have up to 192/24 sound. Is the dac in your current onkyo 192/24? If it is then do nothing. If not then you could update the bd player with dual hdmi, but that doesn't really buy you anything you still use the reciever DACs. If you like the sound of your current setup do nothing. Most players have a two channel stereo downmix analog connection, you might try that and use the player's DACs and see if you like that.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-03-2013, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It has Burr-Brown PCM1796 DAC, which is 24 bit. It was very good back in the day but with the new 32 bit ones probably not so much anymore.

If you were using any BR player's optical out, what setting would you use for a stereo setup? I don't have any of this setup as I am waiting for the new TV to get here. I would love to just setup the PS3 correctly the first time instead of having to keep changing the settings to see what is best. I don't know if analog is an option, have to see if I can find the cable that comes with the PS3.

Thank you for the help. much appreciated!

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

post #4 of 6 Old 05-03-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I don't know anything about PS3. i'd probably just try optical and see if i liked it. Make sure your settings are providing a two channel downmix, or that your reciever is doing a downmix.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-03-2013, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

Hello everyone. I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have an Onkyo 805 and Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands. I just bought a Panasonic 65VT60 and would like to use it for 3D once in a while. What is the best sound option if the HDMI is sent directly to the TV and I am using optical to the 805?

Whatever sounds best to you.

Please don't be confused by the heavy breathing about bits and sample rates.

If you have a piece of media with various audio tracks on them, they are often mixed and mastered differently, and that generally makes more difference than sample rates, by far.

I don't think anybody (especially me) is smart enough to make general rules about which mixing and mastering job is going to sound best to you with your preferences, speakers, and listening room, especially the former.
Quote:
Is it 2 channel PCM? Is there a better option? I am hoping someone who uses a more legacy AVR can chime in and help me out. I can't use the 805 in the chain as it is only HDMI 1.3a and not 1.4.

Are you sure about that? Have you tried it? (Just asking).

Quote:
On another note would it make a large SQ difference if I was to buy a new BR player with dual HDMI outs to take advantage of the 805 and its loseless capabilities, or does it not really matter with only two channel. Thanks for any help.

Same answer. The not-so-hidden agenda items are your preferences and the artistic differences (mixing and mastering even if the basic movie is the same) in the various media that you listen to.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-03-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys. I just learned that my TV is ready for pickup, so I will be setting all of this up tonight and tomorrow. I will chime back on what sounds best. May help others with an older AVR who can't use HDMI and run a 2.0 system with optical from a Blu-Ray player.

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page