Extremely hard 2 ch. speaker placement, please advise! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-06-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

My room is 27' long, 13.5' wide, 8.5' high. I had my 5.2 system and TV in here, on the side wall, not facing down the long axis. That system was moved to an adjacent room. My wife and I enjoy albums with meals, and the turntable is still here (Pro-ject RPM 1.3). I need speakers and an integrated or pre/power amp solution, 2 channels or perhaps 2.1 - music listening only.

The speakers must be on the south wall (shown above), which does not easily lend itself to speaker placement, nor has it been decorated as such. This is the trade-off for a dedicated theater. In-wall and in-ceiling are not options, nor is passing wires through walls. I may be able to move the lamps, but would prefer to not fight that fight. The sofa stays, as do the drapes. The photos could be relocated.

On-wall options appear the best choice, mounted near the room corners. I have 8" between the side wall and the door trim on the left side. I am aware that side wall boundaries can create problems, especially in the low/mid frequencies. Perhaps an on-wall option that is light in that range anyway? I have done extensive searches to find a speaker option specifically for corners, and have only found the Triad In-Corner Silver Omnis and Legacy Skyline 7s or 8s.

http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/icso.html
http://www.legacyaudio.com/products/pro-audio/loudspeakers/

I am guessing the Triads would be weak with only a 5" + 1", and the Legacys will be too expensive (I have a call in to my local Legacy rep to find out). There are a number of decent standard on-wall options that will fit in that 8" space between wall and door: DefTech Mythos, Paradigm Millenia, Totem Tribe, Gallo Ref AV, and many others, I'm sure. Will imaging totally suck? It may prove difficult to toe them in. What other problems am I not considering?

Sound quality is the goal, obviously, but is really good quality impossible with this arrangement? We listen to everything from hard rock to classical. I'd prefer it sound great playing Zeppelin and Hendrix. My wife mostly won't care if the sound is good or average, but she will notice great SQ if it really is superlative, and I can justify the expense if she does notice (Legacys?) The other option is to just get a small lifestyle speaker option that I can place near the sofa. I'm thinking Gallo Diva Ti or similar, on those really thin stands (with a sub). They won't cost much and be adequate for background music. I can put the money I save in the theater.

What do you think? Can great SQ be had in this room with this layout? What speakers do you get, where do you place them, and what is your pre/power or integrated amp choice to power them? Do you have a sub option? Thanks in advance for your help.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-07-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
The Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 is a very good speaker that might work there, on some good stands.

The PSB Imagine B is a better but more expensive one.

You will obviously need a subwoofer. I recommend the NHT B12D.

For an amplifier, you might want to consider a Musical Fidelity M3i or an Arcam A19 or A28 amplifier; they offer excellent sound quality
post #3 of 8 Old 05-08-2013, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
fwiw, pair of kef q300's $469 accessories4less on some pinpoint am40 speaker mounts where pictures are tilted downward slightly

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #4 of 8 Old 05-08-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Great SQ probably not but certainly adequate. My room is huge as well, 30 X 24 with 25 ft. ceilings. I had to build corner shelves about 16' apart and 7' from the floor. Speakers are on Auralex Mopads, towed in and angled down approximately 6°, shooting down the long end of the room. After trying out several speakers I found that the Kef Q300 with Uni-Q drivers worked well. It's not perfect but beats the hell out of my singing wink.gif

post #5 of 8 Old 11-20-2013, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Since my original post:

I have decided that floor standing speakers are an option! I had been considering on-walls and found no perfect solution, and most sacrificing sound quality to boot. I figure I can place a pair of floor standers about 1 - 3 feet from the rear wall, though still within a foot of the side walls, and toe them in. I have bookshelf speakers on stands in that spot now (temporarily) and they sound reasonably good, given the speakers aren't such great quality.

So I ask you, what floor standing speakers would work well in that location? They'd be about 12' apart, with 12' to the primary listening position, about 2' from the rear wall and 1' from the side wall? The speakers themselves shouldn't be much wider than 18" nor taller than 48".

My research has led me to horn-loaded speakers that are not too wide (the big Klipschs are out), for example:
Klipsch RF-7 II or Palladium 17-B bookshelf on a stand with a sub
JBL Studio 590 or perhaps some used Synthesis if I can find it
JTR Noesis (the TX3 loads the horn down to 450 hz)
I'm aware of the Danley stuff, but I fear mostly they are too large or too expensive
I'm also aware of esoteric products by Avantgarde, Specimen, and Shengya but I can't afford that stuff

I'm also looking at Magnepan MC1 mounted directly on the walls, angled in as necessary.

Does speaker type even matter? Will front loaded stuff work fine? If so then what should I consider (for under $5000/pr)? What about a rear-firing bass port on any cabinet, will that cause bass bloat?

I'd like to her from anyone with speakers placed similarly in their rooms, or anyone who has a recommendation.

Thanks,
Matt
post #6 of 8 Old 11-24-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 63
If the baffles of the floor standing speakers are going to be behind the front of the sofa, that is a bad idea.
They will need to be forward of everything.
I personally would not put any speaker between the left wall and door. So either floor speakers to each side of the sofa and at least even with the front of the sofa.
Or good wall mounts mounted right next to the sides of the window. High enough to clear the lamps.

For on-walls I would suggest JBL PT800s, but there are not any on the Harman estore or ebay.
They are a Ti 3-way that are top notch. But a sub is needed.
The sister speaker to those are Revel Gem2...but they might be over your budget.

Do you have 22" to either side of the window? If so you could go with the JBL LC2, a center speaker with dual 6" mid-bass drivers.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-27-2013, 06:07 AM

I'M A ROOKIE AND A STUDENT BUT I'VE LEARNED ALOT IN A FEW DAYS SINCE JOINING THE FORUM. I HAVE SOME VINTAGE SPEAKERS:RS NOVA 8 AND DENON avr1912 7.1, having realize that having componets compatiable is vital, these rs nova 8 sound really great. I have budget of $100-$400 to spend on 2 floor speakers, can u tell something about rs nova 8 and recomend what floor speakers that put out quality sound...THANKS TO ALL!!!

DSCOTT57
post #8 of 8 Old 11-27-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by DScott57 View Post

I'M A ROOKIE AND A STUDENT BUT I'VE LEARNED ALOT IN A FEW DAYS SINCE JOINING THE FORUM. I HAVE SOME VINTAGE SPEAKERS:RS NOVA 8 AND DENON avr1912 7.1, having realize that having componets compatiable is vital, these rs nova 8 sound really great. I have budget of $100-$400 to spend on 2 floor speakers, can u tell something about rs nova 8 and recomend what floor speakers that put out quality sound...THANKS TO ALL!!!

DSCOTT57

Obvious choices for floor standers is to pick up a pair of Infinty Primus P363s on sale for $200 each or less.

Another alternative is the Pioneer "Famous Designer" Pioneer SP-FS52-LR @ $125 each or so.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page