Budget beginner's turntable paired with Outlaw RR2150 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-09-2013, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I recently received an Outlaw RR2150 Stereo Receiver/Amp for free through a drawing, and I'm trying to figure out where to go from here. I actually just set up a budget 5.1 system for movies and occasional music, but now that I have this thing I'm thinking about creating a separate system for just music. I've always kind of wanted to jump into vinyl playback and now that I have a relatively high-end receiver to work with, I figure this is the best time. I'm currently looking at the Audio-Technica LP-120 as an option-it's around ~$200. I really would like to keep the price around that figure but could probably spend up to $300. As I said I am a complete novice when it comes to vinyl playback so that was just one I picked out in my price range. And obviously, if I'm just wasting my time with buying a turntable for that low of a price, please let me know. Any opinions are greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-09-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 140
The Audio-Technica LP-120 is a fine entry level direct drive turntable, especially at that price. I have one, and properly set up and with a decent cartridge, it's nothing to be ashamed of, and can produce very pleasing results with well-cared for records. One replacement cartridge many new owners start out with is the Shure M97xE, which can be found on sale from time to time online for less than $60, IIRC. It is easy to install and align with the included protractor if you follow directions carefully.

I would also recommend getting the Shure stylus tracking force gauge so that you have the recommended force being applied to the record at the stylus, no more and no less. Otherwise, you can not only get less than optimal performance, but worse, you can damage your records permanently.

You might want to do some reading at the vinylengine.com forums. There are lots of knowledgeable enthusiasts there willing to offer advice and great tips. Good luck.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-10-2013, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 250
The Pro-Ject Essential Turntable is $299 from Needle Doctor; I would recommend it.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-10-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I'd ditto the AT TT based upon reports I have read. I can also second Will's recommendation of the M97xE which is a terrific cart.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-11-2013, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks you for the recommendations guys. One thing I notice from reading up on forums is that the Audio Technica table gets a bad wrap from some due to noticeably high wow and flutter..obviously I know in this price range that I won't get one with perfect specs, but is this something I need to worry about as a beginner? The reason why I like the look of the audio technica table is due to all the great info out there on how to upgrade it, whereas if I were to buy a used Technics off eBay I'd have to hope for the best and wing it with upgrades.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-11-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
One thing I notice from reading up on forums is that the Audio Technica table gets a bad wrap from some due to noticeably high wow and flutter.
Seriously? The AT is a direct-drive. Unless you've got a defective unit, it will outperform even much more expensive belt-drive units on that particular spec. (That doesn't mean it will outperform across the board, of course.) The Pro-Jects, for example, are so bad the company actually sells an outboard box to fix it.

If you're a beginner on a budget, the AT120 is a great place to start.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #7 of 8 Old 05-11-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaerGriggs View Post

One thing I notice from reading up on forums is that the Audio Technica table gets a bad wrap from some due to noticeably high wow and flutter..obviously I know in this price range that I won't get one with perfect specs, but is this something I need to worry about as a beginner?
Got an actual techical test that shows this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaerGriggs View Post

The reason why I like the look of the audio technica table is due to all the great info out there on how to upgrade it, whereas if I were to buy a used Technics off eBay I'd have to hope for the best and wing it with upgrades.
What upgrades? Most of the DD TT upgrades are dubious at best in terms of actuial performance, with the exception of major ones like arms. If you find a good SL1200 (preferrably not DJ'd), then the likelihood is that it will continue to work well for decades more. Test it for pitch stability and arm bearing tightness (be gentle) and you are good to go. Just add cart and set up. FIW, always assume a cart is ruined whe haggling price: I've boug couple over the yrsn face value tha are 'nar nw' when they are nt. It's nar impossible for a begir to tell te diferce. Even let them remove it and buy sas cart if tat gets you a better deal andinstal a fresh one yourself.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-12-2013, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Like I said I'm still very much a beginner when it comes to this so I was just bringing up a point that I saw some others had. It looks like the AT-LP120 is a good pick for me at this point since it is easily available online and I live in a rural area meaning finding local listings for turntables is pretty much out of the question. Thanks for the help guys.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page