Phono preamp recommendations. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-10-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Thinking of digging my old turntables out of the garage and see how my old vinyl collection sounds on my modern system. My avr is a Yamaha RX-A720 and it doesn't appear to have phono inputs. I'm assuming I just connect the turntable to the preamp, and the preamp to one of the audio inputs on my avr. Something budget minded. Also, is there anything out there that you can run the signal through to remove the clicks and pops inherent in vinyl?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The ART DJPre II Phono Preamplifier is one of the better options available under $100.
http://www.amazon.com/ART-II-Preamplifier-Outputs-Switchable/dp/B000AJR482

For pops and clicks you could watch eBay for one of the old Burwen/KLH or SAE noise filter units. Careful though... most of them that pop up for sale are the general noise filter variety, which is not what you want. You want one of the transient noise filters; I believe the models #s were 7000A and 5000A or something very close to that. Avoid the 1201A.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-12-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 250
There are computer programs to process the sound and remove undesirable events to a great degree, but those are very expensive programs designed for professional mastering work.

Electronic filters modify the sound too much and I would stay away from them.

One of the best phono preamps you can get is the Musical Fidelity V-LPS, which is excellent, but it is $199. It is a bargain at that price, but not real cheap.

The Bellari VP-29 is $76 at Needle Doctor. That is about the cheapest one that is worth a toot IMO.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-13-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 1147
Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post

Thinking of digging my old turntables out of the garage and see how my old vinyl collection sounds on my modern system. My avr is a Yamaha RX-A720 and it doesn't appear to have phono inputs. I'm assuming I just connect the turntable to the preamp, and the preamp to one of the audio inputs on my avr. Something budget minded.

There are a ton of outboard phono preamps at various prices:

These people have a wide selection:

http://www.kabusa.com/index_pp.htm
Quote:
Also, is there anything out there that you can run the signal through to remove the clicks and pops inherent in vinyl?

Yes, your PC. There is a wide variety of free and pay for software for this purpose.

Their use is of course contingent on your PC's audio interface which may vary in terms of sound quality.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=84727&view=findpost&p=729716

"
Audacity (freeware)
WaveRepair ($30)
VinylStudio ($30)
Groove Mechanic ($40)
iZotope RX (free and paid version)
SoundForge (not free)
pyro Audio Creator (not free)
Goldwave Digital Audio Editor (not free)
Golden Records
"

There is also a wide variety of audio interfaces. The one in your PC or laptop may suffice, or you may want to invest in an add-on.

Here is one popular example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-UFO202-U-phono-Audio-Interface/dp/B002GHBYZ0
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page