How to properly balance Treble/Bass as well as passing 5.1 to 2.1? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-10-2013, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Hello all. Two-part question. I'll be upgrading an HT-CT150 to the HT-CT660 sometime soon, and needed advice. I've been looking all over the web for some form of audio level test so I can properly balance treble and bass to some form of "normal" for my living space. I can't find any tutorials, audio samples, videos, forum posts, zip. I know setting these parameters are generally personal taste, but I didn't know if there was some form of formal, "reference" track to get everything right.

Second, what happens when you feed a 5.1/7.1 audio signal to a 2.1 system? I know my 3.1 HT-CT150 combines the left front/left rear together (and vice versa), but what happens to the center channel when the 2.1 HT-CT660 gets fed a 5.1 or 7.1 signal?

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-11-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Matadurr View Post

Hello all. Two-part question. I'll be upgrading an HT-CT150 to the HT-CT660 sometime soon, and needed advice. I've been looking all over the web for some form of audio level test so I can properly balance treble and bass to some form of "normal" for my living space. I can't find any tutorials, audio samples, videos, forum posts, zip. I know setting these parameters are generally personal taste, but I didn't know if there was some form of formal, "reference" track to get everything right.

There is no one formal reference track for "getting everything right".

Furthermore, you are dealing with equipment that is so simplistic in design and execution that there would be little chance of getting much right with its available adjustments, even if that reference track existed.

Quote:
Second, what happens when you feed a 5.1/7.1 audio signal to a 2.1 system? I know my 3.1 HT-CT150 combines the left front/left rear together (and vice versa), but what happens to the center channel when the 2.1 HT-CT660 gets fed a 5.1 or 7.1 signal?

The user instructions for the Ct660 is here: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/HTCT660_EN_ES_FR.pdf It probably has most of the available answers to your questions. My quick scan of it suggests that you won't find many in-depth answers in it, probably because of the previously mentioned simplicity of design and execution. It doesn't seem to have many options for you to exercise, perchance you didn't like its limited, pre-programmed options.

There's a reason why many people here don't buy equipment like this...
post #3 of 5 Old 05-11-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Matadurr View Post

I've been looking all over the web for some form of audio level test so I can properly balance treble and bass to some form of "normal" for my living space.

Your electronic devices are surely very flat. So that leaves your loudspeakers and listening room as the main things that can skew the frequency response. The correct way to assess that is to measure the room using appropriate software as describe here:

Room EQ Wizard

As Arny explained, there's not much you can do using only the tone controls on a receiver. So even after you measure and see what needs fixing, the usual solution is to deal with acoustics. This short article is mainly about home recording, but all the same principles apply to hi-fi and home theater too:

Acoustic Basics

--Ethan
El Matadurr likes this.

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #4 of 5 Old 05-12-2013, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Good input from both, thanks. I do know these systems are extremely simplistic. wink.gif
post #5 of 5 Old 05-13-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 134
There's nothing wrong with simplistic. My home theater has very high quality audio, yet the centerpiece is a $150 Pioneer receiver. As I said, electronics is rarely the limiting factor. It's the room, then the speakers, then everything else, in that order.

--Ethan
El Matadurr likes this.

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page