beginner looking for recommendation for a solid to last decades - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello! I come to AVS because you guys are the experts. I'm usually looking through other forums, but speakers are so much harder to do research on and it's hard to find solid guides from just searching. I want to upgrade my speaker setup for my computer to replace my old JBL spyros 2.1 because the woofers are located in the subwoofer unit and the sound doesn't feel full enough for me.

I'm looking to get a pretty solid setup for my desktop so that I don't look in the near future that I want another speaker upgrade. I have two options, and first one being I just take these off my dad's hands. They're some speakers he has.

Speakers http://i.imgur.com/kMvb6sth.jpg
Sub http://i.imgur.com/s9uy5Lts.jpg http://i.imgur.com/q5WZypCs.jpg
Amplifier http://i.imgur.com/KW1mR0us.jpg http://i.imgur.com/83O2zw0s.jpg

Sub by Clements and Speakers by 3G Audio. He and I know they're not a great setup, but probably just better than using my old spyros. He's just giving me these because he has huge JBL studios and vintage altecs already

Or I could save money and get a new setup for myself.
My budget for speakers is very flexible, starting around $500-600 for something mid-high tier before buying any sort of dac or amplifier. Afterwards spend $200 or so on the other components.
What I'm really looking for is a recommendation for what speakers I could get before worrying about things like DAC/Amps and could satisfy me for decades to come . My dad just keeps pushing me to get Tannoys for his love of dual concentric drivers, obviously a college kid can't afford.

If it's more appropriate, I hope the mods could move this thread to the speaker section.

UPDATE: Found these http://app.audiogon.com/listings/monitors-tannoy-eyris-dc-1-gorgeuos-natural-wood-black-ash-finish-2013-04-20-speakers-92115-san-diego-ca

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/monitors-b-w-bowers-wilkins-cdm-1-se-special-edition-speakers-bi-wire-bi-amp-in-black-as-2013-05-11-speakers-94925

would something like those be an excellent choice, especially at those choices?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 01:54 PM

Liked: 42
Hi there, your query might also be posed in the speaker section, but at any rate I suggest Kef Q300. They are a bookshelf that punch way above their weight. I've actually got a pair of the tannoy duals so maybe I'm biased, the Kef has the same design. BTW, when the time comes for electronic choices, I would suggest other forums like Audiokarma. As you can see, this 2 Channel forum doesn't get much traffic. It is also afflicted by group think and I would suggest at least exposing yourself to a variety of approaches. Good luck!
post #3 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
I don't. I have a pair of Kef Q300 and really like them, but they're too much sitting 3' from your ears. The same for the B&W you linked to. The Q100 may work (I've never heard them), but I would most certainly audition first. Nearfield listening is a different experience altogether, it's a must that you audition.

Your dad is probably not far off. Active studio monitors like Tannoy, Behringer, Adam Audio, Focal would be the first series I would audition. They are designed for this. Another that I auditioned and was impressed by were Swan M200 MKII. Behringer Truth series have speakers in your price range and are quite nice. If you want heavy hitters that go pretty low, Mackie or Adam Audio might be the best bet.

I went with passive speakers, receiver and amp only because I also wanted speakers in my living room, and wound up with the equipment in my office closet. My first pair were wonderful little Mordaunt Short Carnival 2, I now have Emp Tek E41-B on my desk.

post #4 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 02:58 PM

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerfrenzi View Post

hello! I come to AVS because you guys are the experts.
There are many experts here but just like other forums, there are shills as well as Kool-Aid drinkers which you have to watch out for.

What you want is so called nearfield monitor. What Nethawk mentioned are good choices. If you are deciding between active vs passive, I would recommend active for their efficiency.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

the Tannoys would be great in that I can just pick them up and get my dad's approval so that he won't bag on me everytime he sees them. Would those be a pretty good suggestion? I can't really find details about them on the Tannoy site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diomania View Post

There are many experts here but just like other forums, there are shills as well as Kool-Aid drinkers which you have to watch out for.

What you want is so called nearfield monitor. What Nethawk mentioned are good choices. If you are deciding between active vs passive, I would recommend active for their efficiency.

by efficiency, do you mean footprint or power consumption, or both?
post #6 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 04:15 PM

Liked: 49
Quote:

by efficiency, do you mean footprint or power consumption, or both?
In a way, both. Those active monitors have built-in amp so yes, it saves real estate. Efficient in terms of SPL level, which consumes less power to produce a given volume than same drivers with passive crossover.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 04:28 PM

Liked: 56
Quote:

the Tannoys would be great... I can't really find details about them on the Tannoy site.

http://www.tannoy.com/studiosummary.aspx

http://www.sweetwater.com/c404--Tannoy--Studio_Monitors
post #8 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 711
diomania and Nethawk nailed it. Explore their suggestions.

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

post #9 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

I was talking about the Tannoy DC1s I have linked on Audiogon

yeah I'm gonna go to an audio place to hear what they have, probably things listed here. If not, I'll read reviews like crazy.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 06:27 PM

Liked: 42
I have the DC 4 model, they have a pretty nice sound. Let your ears guide you, at the end of the day you have to be impressed, not your dad or some strangers on the Internet.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

I have the DC 4 model, they have a pretty nice sound. Let your ears guide you, at the end of the day you have to be impressed, not your dad or some strangers on the Internet.

yeah of course, but I can only do so much without a car...
post #12 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
^^ Well that isn't going to help much. I was going to suggest a trip to the nearest Guitar Center, which has a wide selection of studio monitors (but no Tannoy) to sample.

The Tannoy Eyris you link from audiogon certainly review well. I would question the reason for the jumper upgrade, which was totally unnecessary and a lot of hype, but hey - to each his own. They are not active speakers, so you will need a receiver or separates to power them. By the way, the seller also has them listed on Cralgslist for the same amount, which means you can probably offer less to make up for shipping.

post #13 of 13 Old 05-13-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

killeerfrenzi:
In the near-field powered monitor area, check out Audioengine A5+ speakers I have a pair in my office that sound great. Audioengine has great customer service too. Also, there is a new speaker out there that has a trial period so you can try them called Vanatoo. They got a good review on Stereomojo.com. I'll try them out at some point but I don't need them at this point.

Good luck,
Mike

mnilan
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page