2.1 or a sound bar? Newbie here - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 05-13-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
MRayS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a completely new realm for me with home audio. I'm looking for a 2.1 system like the Harman Kardon HKTS 200 or a soundbar.

Viewing distance is about 10 ft and 18 ft ceiling. I'm not really looking to break the bank and just want a simple system that is an improvement over the tv speakers.

Would mostly be used for sports, some movies, regular tv, and gaming.

What are your thought on the Harman Kardon HKTS 200?
MRayS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 05-13-2013, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Louquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRayS View Post

This is a completely new realm for me with home audio. I'm looking for a 2.1 system like the Harman Kardon HKTS 200 or a soundbar.

Viewing distance is about 10 ft and 18 ft ceiling. I'm not really looking to break the bank and just want a simple system that is an improvement over the tv speakers.

Would mostly be used for sports, some movies, regular tv, and gaming.

What are your thought on the Harman Kardon HKTS 200?

Either would sound OK. Better than your TV speakers. But nothing too impressive.

How much can you spend?

Louquid is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 05-13-2013, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
MRayS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to keep it under $1000. I was leaning towards the Harman Kardon HKTS 200 just because I can always add speakers down the road with the receiver.

I don't know, soundbars seem really expensive to me for a decent one.
MRayS is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 05-13-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,209
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
If you have a $1000 budget, you can do a LOT better than that. Soundbars are a very poor alternative.

Get the Harman-Kardon 3490 receiver for $400, which is a STEAL at its price, and a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers for $350.

You will be amazed at how great that sounds.

If you want a receiver that has more than two channels, get the Harman-Kardon 1700 instead.

For less than $1000 you can get the 1700 receiver, the 10.1 speakers, and the matching 10CS center speaker.
commsysman is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 05-13-2013, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
Louquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

If you have a $1000 budget, you can do a LOT better than that. Soundbars are a very poor alternative.

Get the Harman-Kardon 3490 receiver for $400, which is a STEAL at its price, and a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers for $350.

You will be amazed at how great that sounds.

If you want a receiver that has more than two channels, get the Harman-Kardon 1700 instead.

For less than $1000 you can get the 1700 receiver, the 10.1 speakers, and the matching 10CS center speaker.

This would be a great setup. I have the Diamond 10.2's and they're great.

This would destroy any soundbar or the mentioned HKTS 200.

Louquid is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 05-13-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Nethawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 114
But, if you ever decide to add a center channel speaker or surrounds you'll have to throw the HK 3490 out. Look into AVR receivers. The HK mentioned is one of many. Once you've made speaker choice take the balance and apply it to a receiver. then start saving for subwoofer, surround speakers, interconnects, room correction... wink.gif

Nethawk is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 05-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
Louquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
You could get this receiver and have $700 left to spend on a pair of speakers and matching center.

Louquid is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 05-13-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
MRayS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for all the replies and advice. Definitely intrigued by the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 and will look into this.

Did a quick google search on the speakers and not finding too many retailers. Whats a reputable retailer that sells them?
MRayS is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 05-13-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
smasher50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: right behind you
Posts: 1,955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRayS View Post

Thanks for all the replies and advice. Definitely intrigued by the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 and will look into this.

Did a quick google search on the speakers and not finding too many retailers. Whats a reputable retailer that sells them?
music direct is an authorized wharfedale dealer
fwiw, with a$1000 budget I would focus on whats more important, the speakers and sub and less on the electronics my recommendation would be pair of kef q300's$500 at accessories4less a klipsch rw-12d sub $300 at newegg when on sale (usually once a month)denon avr 1613 $220 at accessories4less

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
smasher50 is online now  
post #10 of 15 Old 05-14-2013, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,209
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
You can get the Harman-Kardon 1700 receiver for around $350 at Amazon.

Music Direct sells the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers for $350 per pair.

The Klipsch RW12D subwoofer should cost you around $300 from Amazon.

That would be my starter system recommendation.
commsysman is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 05-14-2013, 07:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Badouri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Badouri is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 05-14-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gtpsuper24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Kind of bizarre the HK AVR 1700 only gets 2.5 stars from Hometheater Mag but yet Commsysman recommends it. At the same time, calling many 5 star rated sound quality receivers as junk or not that great. Isn't that kind of backwards?
gtpsuper24 is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 05-14-2013, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
Louquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Yeah I don't know why it needs to be an HK receiver. I would still suggest the Denon 1912 or 1613 as Smasher50 mentioned. Then go with either Kef Q500's, Wharfedale Diamond 10.2's, Focal Chorus 706V's, Ascend CMT-340's, or go straight for a pair of Wharfedale 10.4's or Focal Chorus 714V's.

Any of those speakers will dominate any HTIB or soundbar setup, and will give you a great foundation to finish building the rest of the system. Because honestly, once you hear how good it sounds you'll want to complete the system.

Also, I bought my Diamond 10.2's from musicdirect.com. You have a 30 day trial period for any speakers you buy there, so if you don't like them you can return them. My speakers came packaged nice and safe.

Louquid is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 05-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Member
 
PaytonD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a refurbed denon 1913, to pair with KEF q300's and an SVS sub. All in all I am extremely happy with the sound quality, and their ability to fill the room well (smaller than yours, 10x12 ft). I say stick with a reciever/speakers, over a soundbar strictly because of your ability to "upgrade" later on down the road (you may not think so now, but trust me, you will want too). My reciever and speakers came in at under $1000, and I'm quite confident they would sound better than a bar within the same price range.
PaytonD is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 05-15-2013, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
Louquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaytonD View Post

I just purchased a refurbed denon 1913, to pair with KEF q300's and an SVS sub. All in all I am extremely happy with the sound quality, and their ability to fill the room well (smaller than yours, 10x12 ft). I say stick with a reciever/speakers, over a soundbar strictly because of your ability to "upgrade" later on down the road (you may not think so now, but trust me, you will want too). My reciever and speakers came in at under $1000, and I'm quite confident they would sound better than a bar within the same price range.

That's a great setup. Now you could easily pick up a pair of Kef 700's and matching center, and be set. I'm sure your system sounds infintely better than any soundbar ever could.

Louquid is offline  
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off