Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys,

I’ve narrowed my choices for these two integrated amplifiers:

- Marantz PM11S3
- Musical Fidelity M6500i

What do you think is the best choice to pair with my Monitor Audio PL200?

I never heard any of them, very difficult to find dealers here in Brazil for a demo test, but I believe, in what I’ve read, the Marantz offers the best sound quality, while the MF is a pure beast in terms of power.

I’m leaning towards the Marantz option, but I’m afraid it might not have enough juice to drive my speakers properly.

Any suggestions and comments are welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Adler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Some quick Google searching tells me that your PL-200's are rated at 90db sensitivity at a 4ohm load, which shouldn't be too difficult to drive...

The Marantz is rated at 100w @ 8ohms and 200w @ 4 ohms. That should be plenty of power to drive your PL-200's

..........and the Marantz isn't ugly looking wink.gif
adler98 and abatsky like this.

2.0 > 7.1
post #3 of 17 Old 05-18-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 243
You might want to consider the Bryston 4BSST2 amplifier.

It is one of the best you can buy.

It also has a 20-year warranty, and 300 watts per channel into 8 ohms and 500 watts per channel into 4 ohms.

It costs $5000 in the US, which is comparable.

For dealer information: contact@bryston.com
adler98 likes this.
post #4 of 17 Old 05-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 51
The PL200 is a 4ohm speaker. I think the PM11S3 is a great choice. It may be the last integrated you buy. The recommended amplification according to Monitor Audio is 100–250W. You will be at the upper end of the recommended spec.
adler98 likes this.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-19-2013, 07:55 PM

Liked: 15
This is a very easy choice, if I were making it. The M6500i is one of THE best amps I have heard. I do not know what price point you are at, but it is a very, very good amp. I heard it with some Vandersteen 2 CE Sig II speakers that I did buy. But the amp was outside my budget. It is just a fantastic SS amp. I would pick it over many mono amps I have heard. Even though I have and had many Marantz components, these two do not compare.
adler98 likes this.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-20-2013, 06:28 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by adler98 View Post

I’m leaning towards the Marantz option, but I’m afraid it might not have enough juice to drive my speakers properly.

Any suggestions and comments are welcome!

The Marantz unit is rated 200w into a 4 ohm load. How loud do you want to go?

Marantz PM11S3

"...with a power output of 200 watts per channel into 4 ohms,..."

Monitor Audio PL200's have a 1w/1m sensitivity of 90dB and at 4m, one is looking at about 84dB which means at 128w, into 4 ohm, you're cranking out approximately 105dB...per speaker and two speakers co-joined will give a three to six dB boost.

-
adler98 likes this.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyopwak View Post

This is a very easy choice, if I were making it. The M6500i is one of THE best amps I have heard. I do not know what price point you are at, but it is a very, very good amp. I heard it with some Vandersteen 2 CE Sig II speakers that I did buy. But the amp was outside my budget. It is just a fantastic SS amp. I would pick it over many mono amps I have heard. Even though I have and had many Marantz components, these two do not compare.

While I agree the M6500i amp looks fantastic, I'm not sure I would recommend it in this case. It's $2K more than the Marantz and the speakers have a max power handling of 250W; This is half the rated output of the M6500i. Both amps have very little noise / distortion at their full rated output.
adler98 likes this.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-20-2013, 02:39 PM

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by adler98 View Post

Guys,

I’ve narrowed my choices for these two integrated amplifiers:

- Marantz PM11S3
- Musical Fidelity M6500i

What do you think is the best choice to pair with my Monitor Audio PL200?

I too like integrateds because I prefer their simplicity to the push/scroll menus found on most AVR's. ..That said, if you don't share my quirkiness in this respect, your best bet is indeed one of the hundreds of AVR's that are available for far less than either of these options AND it has room correction circuitry, input level matching, subwoofer management, etc.... ..You can turn off the channels not used and enjoy in 2.0 mode. And there are plenty that produce the 100w/ch in 4ohms you need to properly drive your speakers

Okay... Now if you DO share my quirkiness and wish to go with an integrated, I would definitely not chose the Musical Fidelity. Why? ..Because there is absolutely NO good reason for MF to eschew such basic contour controls like Balance and Bass/ Treble (which ALL AVR's have!). ..If you have no intention of using these, then fine. ...Leave them at neutral. ..But some day, you're going to cue up a song that you would like if NOT for the fact that it's treble was tipped up in the recording process or the bass is so exaggerated that your dishes are rattling, etc...

I'm sure the good folks at MF would argue that these controls somehow damage the audio signal, even when zero'd, but this is complete and total hogwash. ..If this were true than how can mixing boards have literally hundreds of volume pots and sliders and still be capable of making incredibly clear and lifelike recordings? ..They leave these features off for the simple reason that it makes it cheaper and easier to design and manufacture their gear. ..And because it fits in with the audiophool "less is more" narrative, they get away with, and sometimes are actually preferred because of it!

And if it were me, I'd give the NAD C375bee a good look. ..I had one for a year and absolutely loved it.
adler98, Avgass and abatsky like this.
post #9 of 17 Old 05-20-2013, 03:01 PM

I agree the MF amp is a bit over the top with power. But in my experience, one can never have too many quality watts and current. Even at low levels, the speakers will sound better with a very powerful, quality amp. And if the OP ever upgrades his speakers down the road, he will already have a tremendous amp. I heard the amp at Don Better Audio in Shaker Heights, Ohio. He only carries very fine audio. ARC, Sonus Faber, Shindo, and Musical Fidelity amongmany others. This amp in question is a dual mono design with speaker outputs for biwiring. It sounds very detailed and smooth, even at the top and bottom ends. It does not strain, nor sound harsh in any way. For a powerful integrated, it's really top notch for the mid to hi-fi end. IMHO

Once again, I am not knocking Marantz. Love their stuff. But my money would be spent on the MF amp, without hesitation.
adler98 likes this.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-20-2013, 03:51 PM

Liked: 34
Quote:

I agree the MF amp is a bit over the top with power. But in my experience, one can never have too many quality watts and current. Even at low levels, the speakers will sound better with a very powerful, quality amp. And if the OP ever upgrades his speakers down the road, he will already have a tremendous amp. I heard the amp at Don Better Audio in Shaker Heights, Ohio. He only carries very fine audio. ARC, Sonus Faber, Shindo, and Musical Fidelity amongmany others. This amp in question is a dual mono design with speaker outputs for biwiring. It sounds very detailed and smooth, even at the top and bottom ends. It does not strain, nor sound harsh in any way. For a powerful integrated, it's really top notch for the mid to hi-fi end. IMHO

Once again, I am not knocking Marantz. Love their stuff. But my money would be spent on the MF amp, without hesitation.

psyopwak,

..So you heard this amp in an audio store? ..Not driving your own speakers in your own room, but with completely different gear in a completely different environment? ..So how do you know that the great sound you heard wasn't simply attributable to the speakers??
adler98 and Avgass like this.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-20-2013, 05:09 PM

The amp was driving a pair of speakers that I bought in the dealers home. The room was different from my own. A curious note, I brought one of my amps to listen to the Vandersteen speakers, a McCormack DNA-125. A very fine amp in it's own right. Compared to the MF, it was really not that great. In fact I now own a Parasound A21, which I like very much. It produces great sound and also puts out about 400watts per side at 4ohm, but it falls short of the M6500i. Not trying to get into a gear war, just giving my opinion of the two amps in question. BTW the MF amp is very big, and very heavy. I don't know if that is an issue. If the OP is concerned he might crank the amp (and speakers) too high, I would avoid this amp. As stated, it would damage the MA speakers. There are plenty of reviews on this amp, and I would read them to get other audiophile's perspective.
adler98 likes this.
post #12 of 17 Old 05-21-2013, 01:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd123 View Post

Okay... Now if you DO share my quirkiness and wish to go with an integrated, I would definitely not chose the Musical Fidelity. Why? ..Because there is absolutely NO good reason for MF to eschew such basic contour controls like Balance and Bass/ Treble (which ALL AVR's have!). ..If you have no intention of using these, then fine. ...Leave them at neutral. ..But some day, you're going to cue up a song that you would like if NOT for the fact that it's treble was tipped up in the recording process or the bass is so exaggerated that your dishes are rattling, etc...

I'm sure the good folks at MF would argue that these controls somehow damage the audio signal, even when zero'd, but this is complete and total hogwash. ..If this were true than how can mixing boards have literally hundreds of volume pots and sliders and still be capable of making incredibly clear and lifelike recordings? ..They leave these features off for the simple reason that it makes it cheaper and easier to design and manufacture their gear. ..And because it fits in with the audiophool "less is more" narrative, they get away with, and sometimes are actually preferred because of it!

+1 For having tone controls. The Marantz has them & a music direct mode if you choose not to use them they will bypass the circuitry. You'll notice on some McIntosh products they offer more tone control options as the price goes up. smile.gif
Quote:

I agree the MF amp is a bit over the top with power. But in my experience, one can never have too many quality watts and current. Even at low levels, the speakers will sound better with a very powerful, quality amp.

I guess I was alluding to this earlier. I think the extra power will not make this amp sound any better at low volumes. Both amps offer outstanding performance for distortion across their entire band of rated power output. It is very likely they are conservatively rated to achieve this spec. Even the best loudspeaker drivers will have orders of magnitude more distortion.
adler98 and Avgass like this.
post #13 of 17 Old 05-21-2013, 04:07 AM

Liked: 801
To the OP, out of curiosity, do you have room measuring capability. One can never know what's what with what sans being able to measure a room's acoustical response to their sound reproduction efforts.
adler98 likes this.
post #14 of 17 Old 05-21-2013, 01:08 PM

Measuring room wlll help for sure. If the OP wants the balance and tone controls, the Marantz would be the obvious choice. As for me, I have not used a balance or tone controls in many years. I prefer less circuits in the path. I have even used my Benchmark DAC as a preamp directly to my amp to bypass the traditional preamp. This sounded very clean and detailed. It really depends on what the OP likes. I don't think he could go wrong with either choice.
adler98 likes this.
post #15 of 17 Old 05-22-2013, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for all replies. I really appreciated your comments, very elucidative.

Good to know that despite being less powered than MF, Marantz can handle my speakers properly. My current system consists of a Marantz AV8801 processor powered with Emotiva XPA-5 and Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray/SACD. My idea is to improve the stereo quality; first by adding an integrated amp and then upgrading my source with the Oppo BDP-105. I’m considering also the Marantz SA-11S3 Sacd player, but I’m not sure if it’s a huge improvement over the Oppo-105 considering the price tag ($4K).
post #16 of 17 Old 08-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Did you end up getting the PM11S3? If so, thoughts?
post #17 of 17 Old 08-12-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Thinking that by adding an integrated amp to your current Marantz 8801 you will improve the SQ is not only wrong, it is also foolish! Get an Oppo BDP-105 and be done with it. Or just keep your current bluray's player using its digital connection and instead of buying more expensive gear, add in measurement equipment, room treatments, and possibly consider upgrading your speakers. All of which will make huge advances in your systems SQ. adding an integrated amp will not give you one smidgen of additional SQ!
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page