Can anyone recommend an appropriate speaker upgrade for my system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-18-2013, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi everyone, I just want to preface this by saying this is a wicked community and I've seen a lot of pics which just fuels the inspiration, and a thank you in advance.

Firstly, I love music. If I'm not listening to it out loud or with headphones, I'm thinking about what to listen to next. Right now I have a very modest system put together, and feel that I have reached the peak of what my current speakers are able to provide to me acoustically.

Here is my present system:

Preamp: HK PT2500
Transport: Oppo BDP-83 (non-SE)
Amplification: 2x Hafler DH-220
Speakers: Energy Connoisseur C-2 (Bi-Amped)

As for what I'm looking for, there are a few prerequisites:
  • Floor standing towers
  • Bi/Tri Amp-able
  • Design: 2 vs 2 1/2 vs 3-Way, what's the difference?
  • Budget up to and including $1200

I'm hoping to leverage the experience of some of the 2.0 guys here that have had ears on several sets of speakers to help make up for my inexperience.

As for what I listen to, it really ranges. A lot of classic rock, blues, some jazz, punk, metal, electronic, hip hop/rap and some country. My tastes change with my mood so I need some forgiving speakers.

I don't really consider myself an audiophile, but what appeals to me is clear and precise tonality, best I can explain it is I like things to sound as they should; even when I listen to songs with a lot of bass I prefer tight accurate bass lines vs the long drawn out gut wrenching ones; unless we're talking movies (but that's a whole other ball of wax).

The Energy's I have for the most part are fairly decent, they just tend to breakdown during some CDs, most recently coming to mind is Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness. During track 3: Jellybelly, I thought my ears were going to start bleeding from the shrill high's. I quite literally checked for perforation. I've noticed in other instances where (and this is mostly with alternative rock with a lot of thrashing guitars) there is a distinct lack of separation between instruments, everything just seems to melt together and it gets tiresome to try and separate the sound field; though it could entirely be the source recording.

I hope that helps some of you in formulating an answer to a 99.999% subjective question. Bottom line is I'll need to audition/listen for myself and determine what's right or not and make a decision from there. We have a decent mid/high end store in Winnipeg where I can at least see/touch/feel/hear the speakers for myself, not sure I'd want to taste them, but then I never liked asparagus before either.

- Nerf

Current 2.0 Channel System:
Sources: Oppo BDP-83
Preamp: Harman/Kardon PT2500
Amps: 2x Hafler DH-220 w/ Gold Plated RCA's
Speakers: Bi-Amped Energy Connoisseur C-2's
Interconnects: Emotiva RCA's & RCA signal splitters
Speaker Cables: Generic 12 AWG terminated w/ Energy banana plugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-19-2013, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfherd3r View Post

[*] Bi/Tri Amp-able
Passive bi/triamping is a complete and utter waste of time.
Quote:

[*] Design: 2 vs 2 1/2 vs 3-Way, what's the difference?
Surely the difference between 2 and 3 way is obvious.

2.5 way is a compromise between 2 and 3 way. There are 2 midbass drivers, and instead of both running up to the crossover with the tweeter, the lower one rolls off early to aviod the lobing that comes with too great a driver/driver centre difference. LF is still present in the upper driver which does nothing to reduce distortion that a correctly implemented 3 way can bring.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-19-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

Passive bi/triamping is a complete and utter waste of time.
Surely the difference between 2 and 3 way is obvious.

2.5 way is a compromise between 2 and 3 way. There are 2 midbass drivers, and instead of both running up to the crossover with the tweeter, the lower one rolls off early to aviod the lobing that comes with too great a driver/driver centre difference. LF is still present in the upper driver which does nothing to reduce distortion that a correctly implemented 3 way can bring.

Thanks for your feedback, specifically what I was after with regard to the 2/2.5/3 way difference question (although not articulated correctly) is the acoustic differences one should hear; understanding the mechanics of something is not the same as actually knowing and being able to identify something based upon the end result. I see it a lot in the IT field, people lacking the hands on experience but have all the certs in the world. Show 'em a motherboard and they're lost, or take 'em to a piss poorly wired network rack and let 'em have at it.

With regard to passive bi/triamping, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a complete and utter waste of time. I realize that no amp will magically jump to double the rated output on the speaker side (save for bridging), but there is some moderate benefit according to many.

The end goal of this thread is not to discuss the merits of my requirements (bi/tri ampability doesn't necessarily mean I have to use those configurations), it is to find out if anyone familiar with my specific amps have found a good acoustically matching speaker, or have enough experience to give me an idea of what direction I should be looking.

After all, if one can't use the power of the internet to leverage existing knowledge to save time and effort, what good is it?

post #4 of 7 Old 05-19-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 260
I suggest that you get a pair of PSB Image T6 speakers.

I had them for 2 years, and they are excellent. They should be a huge improvement over your current speakers, and are certainly compatible with the Hafler amplifiers.

PSB, of course, is based in Canada, and there are many Canadian dealers.

List Price is $1300 in the USA, but it is my understanding that there are many Canadian dealers that discount them.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-19-2013, 08:56 AM

Liked: 35
Are you crafty? Ever consider DIY? You could build a pair of really top notch speakers for $1200, perfectly optimized to be a good match for your old Hafler amps. Take a look at this thread for ideas.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-19-2013, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I suggest that you get a pair of PSB Image T6 speakers.

I had them for 2 years, and they are excellent. They should be a huge improvement over your current speakers.

PSB, of course, is based in Canada, and there are many Canadian dealers.

List Price is $1300 in the USA, but it is my understanding that there are many Canadian dealers that discount them.

You know, I had a pair of PSB Alpha B1's and quite liked them (had them on a Sansui integrated), I've always wondered about the tower flavors. I'll keep my eyes open, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Highwood View Post

Are you crafty? Ever consider DIY? You could build a pair of really top notch speakers for $1200, perfectly optimized to be a good match for your old Hafler amps. Take a look at this thread for ideas.

I've thought about DIY, my quandary right now is that I live in a relatively small apartment and no where to do any sort of cabinetry work. I suppose I could always find someone to make the cabinets for me... I'll take a look, thanks.

post #7 of 7 Old 05-19-2013, 09:09 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks for your feedback, specifically what I was after with regard to the 2/2.5/3 way difference question (although not articulated correctly) is the acoustic differences one should hear; understanding the mechanics of something is not the same as actually knowing and being able to identify something based upon the end result. I see it a lot in the IT field, people lacking the hands on experience but have all the certs in the world. Show 'em a motherboard and they're lost, or take 'em to a piss poorly wired network rack and let 'em have at it.

With regard to passive bi/triamping, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a complete and utter waste of time. I realize that no amp will magically jump to double the rated output on the speaker side (save for bridging), but there is some moderate benefit according to many.

The end goal of this thread is not to discuss the merits of my requirements (bi/tri ampability doesn't necessarily mean I have to use those configurations), it is to find out if anyone familiar with my specific amps have found a good acoustically matching speaker, or have enough experience to give me an idea of what direction I should be looking.

After all, if one can't use the power of the internet to leverage existing knowledge to save time and effort, what good is it?

On this forum you may expect knowledge and information from Ethan Winer. But if you are looking to generate opinions and insults, you are certainly in the right place.
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page