Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-23-2013, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Good to be back here after years!
Any opinoions on the Rogue Audio Athena?
I am waiting for mine to arrive next week!
Had a placette passive before and a DIY bottlehead with Mullard CV4003s. Player is an Oppo BDP-95 and speakers are Von Schweikert VR4 upgraded to VR5/7.
Would love to hear from folks who own this or have heard it first hand.
Same question about the Medusa Hybrid power amp. I couldn't find threads here on avs about the hybrid medusa.
Regards,
-Jai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-01-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It just arrived. Beutifully machined. biggrin.gif

post #3 of 14 Old 06-01-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Years back I had a Magnum 99 w/a pair of Threshold amps. Really made my Thiel 2.3's sing.Rogue Audio is an excellent company that builds quality gear in the USA. I'm sure you'll be happy w/your purchase. Enjoy the tunes.smile.gif
post #4 of 14 Old 06-01-2013, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

Years back I had a Magnum 99 w/a pair of Threshold amps. Really made my Thiel 2.3's sing.Rogue Audio is an excellent company that builds quality gear in the USA. I'm sure you'll be happy w/your purchase. Enjoy the tunes.smile.gif
Hi, Thanks for the feedback. I was in fact thinking of the Magnum 99 or a super Magnum and this came along on audiogon. Just hooked it up and it does indeed sound beautiful smile.gif. Haven't done any critical listening yet. The seller had clearly marked the location of the tubes that he had removed and I was not paying attention in the excitement. I put the tubes in some random order and not very happy with myself right now. Wouldn't they (Rogue) have tried to get all 4 tubes as closely matched as possible? Thoughts?
post #5 of 14 Old 06-02-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

6h30 tubes should give you around 5,000 hrs. If you want to get a new set check the Tube Store. The Electro Harmonix Gold Pins are quite good. You could also call Rogue and see what they recommend.smile.gif
post #6 of 14 Old 06-04-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
My experience has been that 6H30 tubes last around 800 to 1000 hours and then the sound quality deteriorates quite noticeably and a new set is required to restore proper operation.

This is in my Audio Research LS26 preamp. I am on my fourth set of tubes at present (in 6 years). Audio Research says they should last longer, but that has certainly not been my experience.

Many of the tubes that you can buy from various retailers are ones that have been tested and rejected by other companies as not meeting quality standards, so be wary.

Audio Research tests their tubes carefully and then resells the rejects, which are the majority of them which do not meet their standards, to other companies which resell them again. I buy tubes only from Audio Research.

Some units may use different biasing, which could possibly mean a different life expectancy, but IMO anyone who is expecting good performance for more than 1000 hours is likely to be disappointed.

BTW- I had similar results with the 6922 tube in my AR LS2B preamp over a period of 10 years. They went to crap after about 1000 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

6h30 tubes should give you around 5,000 hrs. If you want to get a new set check the Tube Store. The Electro Harmonix Gold Pins are quite good. You could also call Rogue and see what they recommend.smile.gif
post #7 of 14 Old 06-04-2013, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

That is total nonsense. Preamp tubes such as the the 6H30 will give you up to 5,000 hrs of use. The people at Audio Research will tell you that. Maybe you need to send your LS-26 in for service if your only getting 800 hours.rolleyes.gif
post #8 of 14 Old 06-06-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

You are completely wrong; my experience is unequivocal, and there is nothing wrong with the preamp.

They DO suffer a major loss in sound quality at 800 to 1000 hours.

They do not fail; they just start to sound grungy.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-06-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Well your the only one I know of that changes 6H30's every 800 hrs. BAT & Audio Research both stand by 5,000 hrs. But you must know better than they do.rolleyes.gif
post #10 of 14 Old 06-06-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I am sure that they both know that the sound quality drops after 1000 hours, and don't want to admit it to the public.

All I know is that when the sound quality of my preamp is no longer excellent and gets grungy, I didn't pay $6000 for grungy sound. I replace the tubes and get the magic back!

You would have to be pretty damn insensitive to not notice the difference.

A guy I know who worked as a tech for Audio Research for years and then came to California told me that they know damn well that the tubes don't last that long but just don't like to say so for obvious commercial reasons.

They used to claim that their tubes lasted 5000 hours in their user manuals,,but they have quit doing that; now they are just vague on the subject.

When I talk to the guy in charge of testing and selling replacement tubes at Audio Research, he gets very evasive on the subject, and you can tell that HE knows that 5000 hours is bull!
post #11 of 14 Old 06-16-2013, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I am sure that they both know that the sound quality drops after 1000 hours, and don't want to admit it to the public.

All I know is that when the sound quality of my preamp is no longer excellent and gets grungy, I didn't pay $6000 for grungy sound. I replace the tubes and get the magic back!

You would have to be pretty damn insensitive to not notice the difference.

A guy I know who worked as a tech for Audio Research for years and then came to California told me that they know damn well that the tubes don't last that long but just don't like to say so for obvious commercial reasons.

They used to claim that their tubes lasted 5000 hours in their user manuals,,but they have quit doing that; now they are just vague on the subject.

When I talk to the guy in charge of testing and selling replacement tubes at Audio Research, he gets very evasive on the subject, and you can tell that HE knows that 5000 hours is bull!
I talked to Rogue Audio and they said the tubes are good for at least 3000 hours. Since I bought these used, I am putting new tubes in them anyways. It will be good if these units came with some meter for tube usage/lifetime.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-16-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

The life of a tube will depend on the specific tube type AND the circuit configuration in which it is used.

My only experience is with the Audio Research LS-2B and LS-26 preamps. I did not mean to imply that my experience would always apply to other equipment or tubes.

A different tube or a different circuit with different biasing could make a huge difference in tube life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcomp124 View Post

I talked to Rogue Audio and they said the tubes are good for at least 3000 hours. Since I bought these used, I am putting new tubes in them anyways. It will be good if these units came with some meter for tube usage/lifetime.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-16-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I like all of Rogue stuff lately, currently using a Metis Pre/Amp and their new Sphinx Int. Amp. I might have to sell it though even though I love it, as it doesn't have enough juice to run my Dynaudios! ;( As far as tubes go, just buy a matched pair, listen to them for 2000-3000 hours and get a new pair or if they start to sound odd sooner swap them out.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-16-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

I like all of Rogue stuff lately, currently using a Metis Pre/Amp and their new Sphinx Int. Amp. I might have to sell it though even though I love it, as it doesn't have enough juice to run my Dynaudios! ;( As far as tubes go, just buy a matched pair, listen to them for 2000-3000 hours and get a new pair or if they start to sound odd sooner swap them out.
Keep the pre/amp and sell the amp. I use an ARC SP-16 w/a pair of modified SS Threshold T-50's. Tube preamps and solid state amps make a very nice combo.smile.gif
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page