Set my DVD player audio outputs to 2 channels only? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 05-28-2013, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone,

I haven't been on this forum in some time, lol.

Anyway, I don't have or own a DAC. I did made contact with the guy who sold me my receiver and my B&W speakers last year. I was interested in the price of his DAC IT by Peachtree that he has in stock even though it might take me some while to save up for it but I was asking him about info. I got the price. He said my DVD player would connect and my computer, but leave the TV as it is. He asked me to take a picture of my DVD player and he could tell me if it would connect and he said it will connect. However, he said for me to set the audio output to 2 channels only would be very hard unless I use my DVD player as a CD player as well. What does he mean by that? Are there any other ways to set the audio output on 2 channels only without using my DVD player as a CD player?

I would also like to apologize if my questions I'm asking are in the wrong place. Please move my thread if needed.

Also, here is part of the email he sent me about the audio output for 2 channels only.

Yes u can connect the DVD player but it may be very hard for you to set the audio output to 2 channel only. Not really worth it unless you are using your DVD as the CD player. I know the DAC IT was extra inputs but I think the wyred for sound dac I have may be a better fit for your equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-28-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 140
A couple of things:

1) You do own a DAC. It's in your DVD player. It's a chip, an integrated circuit that attaches to a printed circuit board that serves as the brains of your DVD player. That's all a DAC -- a digital-to-analog converter -- is. A CD player would have a DAC in it too.

Oh sure, you can put a DAC chip on a motherboard and put it in a separate box with an analog output circuit in it with analog output jacks that plug into your preamp or integrated amp or AVR. You can then put a fancy price tag on it and make a bundle. You know what? It does exactly the same thing the DAC chip in your DVD or CD player does, no better and no worse. The chip itself usually costs about $1. No, that's not a mistake and I haven't left out any zeros.

2) That dude -- a salesman who makes his living off commissions -- is trying to sell you something you don't need. Save your hard-earned money and refrain from buying a separate DAC from this guy. He's a huckster.

About those two channels:

Is this for a two channel setup? Is this in a 2.0 or 2.1 system, or is it in a 5.1 or 7.1 home theater system? It makes a difference.

What are you using for amplification? A preamp and separate amp? An integrated amp? An AVR?

Do you know how to set the DVD player's output to two channel downmixing? It's easy. It's just a user-selectable software setting. What brand and model DVD player do you have? Have you checked the manual?

Do you have a separate CD player apart from your DVD player? You do know that all DVD players are capable of playing CDs, right?

What do you lack now that you think you need a DAC for? In other words, what problem in your current system are you trying to solve by buying an expensive DAC this guy is trying to sell you?

Want to save some money?
post #3 of 23 Old 05-28-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Php,

I second what Will said.

And you might even have two DACs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post

. . . I did made contact with the guy who sold me my receiver and my B&W speakers last year. . .
A year-old receiver should support digital inputs. Does your's? If so, it has a DAC as well, and it may be better than that Peachtree he's trying to sell you (though only marginally, as all DACs are pretty close these days). Even that $1500 Wyred4Sound DAC may be no better than what you already have.

I haven't a clue what he means by it being hard to setup for two channel only - something smells fishy there.

What you haven't told us is what the problem is with what you already have, and why you should need a separate DAC.
post #4 of 23 Old 05-28-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1410017/where-can-i-look-for-receivers-and-or-amp/30

Please see that thread and look for this. The user name is william06, the post was dated on 5/12/12 and it was post #55 of 79. That william06 user on this forum as you see it in public referred me to that store. I am glad you are telling me they are ripping me off. It wasn't me, that William told me to contact that store because I guess he buy things there.

It's 2.0

I have an Integra DTM 5.9 receiver with a pair of B&W 686 speakers the guy sold me in the amount of including installation was $1,080.

No, I don't know how to set it and have no use for it. He told me it would connect to a DAC, but he went on about 2 channels only for audio outputs when I didn't even mention anything. I have a Philips DVP3140 DVD player.

No, I don't have a separate CD player. Yes, I am aware DVD players could play CDs. I wasn't even talking about CD players either. I was talking about buying a DAC and what would connect, and he said it would, and he went off about CD players and audio outputs when I did not mention one word to him.

I have no problems.

Yes, I do want to save money.

Also, off-topic. I was going to buy a Sonos Connect ZP90 from him, but I did not have enough for it, but recently he told me to save up for a DAC instead. I was going to buy a ZP90 from him because I like music. Should I buy a ZP90 but not from him so buy it from somewhere else?
post #5 of 23 Old 05-28-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Connect your computer directly to your Integra via analog jacks,digital (co-ax/ optical) or
Even HDMI and stream from your computer to your hearts content. You don't need the
Sonus or the DAC.!!!
post #6 of 23 Old 05-28-2013, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. How do I stream? Would that be the same thing as going to a radio station like for example TuneIn radio and start playing radio stations? Would that be streaming? My computer is already connected to the Integra via stereo in my computer and red & white on my Integra.
post #7 of 23 Old 05-28-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you. How do I stream? Would that be the same thing as going to a radio station like for example TuneIn radio and start playing radio stations? Would that be streaming? My computer is already connected to the Integra via stereo in my computer and red & white on my Integra.

Yes, that would be streaming! Sounds like your all set-up
And ready to roll. Don't forget YouTube!!

Definitely don't need any DAC or Sonus!!!
post #8 of 23 Old 05-28-2013, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

Yes, that would be streaming! Sounds like your all set-up
And ready to roll. Don't forget YouTube!!

Definitely don't need any DAC or Sonus!!!

Thank you so very much to everyone!
post #9 of 23 Old 05-28-2013, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Do yourself a favor and make sure you ask the folks
On this forum for advice before buying anything else
For your system.

I get the feeling your local dealer maybe taking
Advantage of you. Just my opinion.
php111 likes this.
post #10 of 23 Old 05-29-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

I think you are right he might be taking advantage of me. Then why did that william06 user on this forum in my older thread told me to contact that dealer cuz they are nice people as william06 told me?
post #11 of 23 Old 05-29-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Dont know, you have a good basic system and it seems to be working
Correctly...enjoy it & save your money.
post #12 of 23 Old 05-29-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Do you personally think it was right for william06 to make that recommendation to that dealer who is ripping me off and taking advantage of me?
post #13 of 23 Old 05-29-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Php,

My personal opinion is that William was only trying to help. He may have had very good experiences with the dealer. We don't know all of the facts, but it appears that you got a good system the first time around. The situation could be that your particular salesmen smelled a sucker, or maybe that salesmen really believes what he is telling you. He wouldn't be the first. I think these types of issues could come up no matter where you shop - it's just the nature of the audio business. That's why websites like this are so valuable.
post #14 of 23 Old 05-29-2013, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

I understand. Would anyone recommend to buy anything else for my system? It could be music for my system? Or anything? I call these things toys. As we grow older our toys becomes bigger and better and costs hell a lot more as we grow older, lol.
post #15 of 23 Old 05-29-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:

As we grow older our toys becomes bigger and better and costs hell a lot more as we grow older, lol.

The difference between a man and a boy is the price of his toys cool.gif

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

post #16 of 23 Old 05-29-2013, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

...Would anyone recommend to buy anything else for my system? It could be music for my system? Or anything?...

It is statement questions like these that make it easy to make bogus suggestions.

Instead of asking how to spend more money, why not take a look(and listen) to your system and find where you are lacking. If everything is straight, then, no, you do not need anything else.

What's that saying...'A fool and his money, will soon be parted.'
post #17 of 23 Old 05-29-2013, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen arcane View Post

The difference between a man and a boy is the price of his toys cool.gif

LOL.

I was looking for more toys to play with.
post #18 of 23 Old 05-29-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Thank you!

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1410017/where-can-i-look-for-receivers-and-or-amp/30

Please see that thread and look for this. The user name is william06, the post was dated on 5/12/12 and it was post #55 of 79. That william06 user on this forum as you see it in public referred me to that store. I am glad you are telling me they are ripping me off. It wasn't me, that William told me to contact that store because I guess he buy things there.

It's 2.0

I have an Integra DTM 5.9 receiver with a pair of B&W 686 speakers the guy sold me in the amount of including installation was $1,080.

No, I don't know how to set it and have no use for it. He told me it would connect to a DAC, but he went on about 2 channels only for audio outputs when I didn't even mention anything. I have a Philips DVP3140 DVD player.

No, I don't have a separate CD player. Yes, I am aware DVD players could play CDs. I wasn't even talking about CD players either. I was talking about buying a DAC and what would connect, and he said it would, and he went off about CD players and audio outputs when I did not mention one word to him.

I have no problems.

Yes, I do want to save money.

Also, off-topic. I was going to buy a Sonos Connect ZP90 from him, but I did not have enough for it, but recently he told me to save up for a DAC instead. I was going to buy a ZP90 from him because I like music. Should I buy a ZP90 but not from him so buy it from somewhere else?

post #19 of 23 Old 05-29-2013, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

@william06:

You quoted my reply without replying? Did you meant to reply but you didn't?
post #20 of 23 Old 05-29-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes goofed. Just to restate my intention I have been a customer of theirs for years and my personal experience as stated last year has been nothing short of honest polite and fair. Even purchased above item two months ago. It seems strange to me they would intentially try to rip you off but stranger things have happened. So sorry for your bad experience guess never again would I recommend a dealer at the risk of this personal humiliation. Did youvexpress your feelings to the shop at least Dave the owner I would.

post #21 of 23 Old 05-29-2013, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

Yes goofed. Just to restate my intention I have been a customer of theirs for years and my personal experience as stated last year has been nothing short of honest polite and fair. Even purchased above item two months ago. It seems strange to me they would intentially try to rip you off but stranger things have happened. So sorry for your bad experience guess never again would I recommend a dealer at the risk of this personal humiliation. Did youvexpress your feelings to the shop at least Dave the owner I would.

Hi William,

Thank you for that. No I have not expressed with Dave. I never knew who the owner was. I don't even have his email. Do you think Joe is really ripping me off and taking advantage of me by buying a Sonos and a DAC? If yes then maybe I should contact Dave?
post #22 of 23 Old 05-29-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

It is hard to say I have dealt with joe very dry and layed back but never got the impression he would intentiallyrip someone off . They have some really great high end stuff they're and a very wide middle to very upscale clientele. It would be very unwise to do anything shady. Take care

post #23 of 23 Old 05-31-2013, 11:00 PM

Perhaps Joe is being honest on his advice... I use in my system a sonos connect to an external dac with great results... But, my system is different than yours, therefore I may notice some improvement and you might not... Depends on how refined or tune up your system is. At this point in time it may not be necessary in your system
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page