Two speakers off of one wire? - AVS Forum
2-Channel Audio > Two speakers off of one wire?
Kali615's Avatar Kali615 03:25 PM 06-03-2013
I accidentally ran only one speaker wire behind walls (which are now newly sheetrocked) and need to connect a pair of speakers in another room. The 2nd room is on the floor above and it's impossible for me to run a 2nd wire now.

So my question is, is there any way I can fix this mistake and still connect both speakers? Can I assume that if it can be done it would end up being mono instead of stereo?

Thanks!

primetimeguy's Avatar primetimeguy 03:49 PM 06-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali615 View Post

I accidentally ran only one speaker wire behind walls (which are now newly sheetrocked) and need to connect a pair of speakers in another room. The 2nd room is on the floor above and it's impossible for me to run a 2nd wire now.

So my question is, is there any way I can fix this mistake and still connect both speakers? Can I assume that if it can be done it would end up being mono instead of stereo?

Thanks!

Correct, about your only option is to use one speaker....mono.  smile.gif

Kali615's Avatar Kali615 04:27 PM 06-03-2013
Thanks for the quick reply! I need to get a little more specific now so that I don't screw this up:).

I have a L & R output on my amp that I need to connect to a pair of speakers in the upstairs room, BUT only have one wire (2 conductors). So exactly where do I connect that wire (on the amp side and the speaker side) to get mono sound to both speakers?
commsysman's Avatar commsysman 08:38 AM 06-04-2013
You just connect it to the L output and do not connect the other channel.

The speakers will be wired in parallel, which gives a lower impedance, but that will probably be OK since you are only driving one speaker.
Kali615's Avatar Kali615 08:52 AM 06-04-2013
Thanks for the response. We're getting closer. I understand about just using the L channel, but I'm hooking up 2 speakers, not one. How should I connect the speakers?
2obed's Avatar 2obed 11:24 PM 06-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali615 View Post

Thanks for the response. We're getting closer. I understand about just using the L channel, but I'm hooking up 2 speakers, not one. How should I connect the speakers?
You would need to solder 2 wires to the one that comes into the room.
This will not give you mono sound though. You will get only the right or only the left channel.
The solution you propose would be unsatisfactory to me, but to each their own. I would try to use the one wire you have to pull 2 wires through the holes behind the sheet rock. Failing that, I would find a wireless way to get a signal to second amp in the upstairs room.
Anyway, good luck.
weekendtoy's Avatar weekendtoy 08:15 AM 06-05-2013
I would do as 2obed suggested and tape two speaker wires to one end of the existing wire and try to pull it either up or down the wall. Whichever way you think it would go easier.

Otherwise you are going to be really good at sheetrocking and mudding when it's all said and done.
SAM64's Avatar SAM64 09:18 AM 06-05-2013
Quote:
The speakers will be wired in parallel, which gives a lower impedance, but that will probably be OK since you are only driving one speaker.

How can one speaker be wired in parallel?
Brian B's Avatar Brian B 05:26 PM 06-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

How can one speaker be wired in parallel?

He wrote "speakers" so I think he was thinking using both speakers in parallel connected to one amp channel...but all comm knows for sure what he was thinking...

B.
SAM64's Avatar SAM64 06:58 AM 06-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post

He wrote "speakers" so I think he was thinking using both speakers in parallel connected to one amp channel...but all comm knows for sure what he was thinking...

B.

the rest of the sentence says he's only driving one speaker...but, your right, who knows what professor commsys is ever thinking.
Up
Mobile  Desktop