Please Help, keep blowing speakers... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-14-2013, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First of all thank you. I have had this system since 2001. It was my sept 11 get the economy back purchase. Anyhow its a Denon DRA295 driving a pair of Klipsch SF1 speakers. I am using my ipod on the headphone jack with a monster cable. Speaker wires are smallish and fairly long. I first bought in a small little condo but now have a small house that is very open I have the speakers upstairs in the loft facing the living room/dining room. Seems fine when the volume is at 0 but any extended play at +10-18 blows out the woofer on one of the speakers. I have replaced one but now one of them is blown again. The Denon is 50 watts X2 and 8 ohm. The speakers are 100 watt and 8 ohm. Theoretically should be ok? No? Does turning the receiver past 0 to the plus side increase the watts from 50? What am I doing wrong?

Thank you very much,
BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-17-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
[QUOTEI am using my ipod on the headphone jack with a monster cable][/QUOTE]

How are you doing this?

Do you have the problem while playing the Radio?
post #3 of 11 Old 06-17-2013, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
you are more likely to damage speakers with an underpowered amplifier than an overpowered amplifier. Turning an amplifier louder than it can go will clip the signal and damage the speakers.

It's also possible you damaged your amp if you turn it that loud.

It's strange that your woofers are breaking and not your tweeters. What exactly do you mean by they get "blown" like does the actual material split or is the rubber breaking or what?
post #4 of 11 Old 06-17-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 243
If you are hearing a lot of distortion, you are pushing the amplifier too hard. That is one issue.

A 50 watt amplifier can put out more than 50 watts when it is distorting. Remember, the 50 watt rating is max output WITHOUT any significant distortion.

On the other hand, it is more likely that the speakers are not really able to take nearly as much CONTINUOUS POWER as you think,, because of the age of the cones.

If you get new drivers from Klipsch and install them, they will no doubt hold up better than the 10-year-old ones.

Klipsch does rate them at 100 watts RMS continuous power when new, and even with high distortion your amp can't quite do that much.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-17-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi BC,

Welcome to the forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaakmt View Post

. . . I have replaced one but now one of them is blown again. . .
Another possibility:

Is the second blown woofer on the same channel as the first? If so, then one possibility is that the Denon has too much DC bias on that channel's output.

If you have a multi-meter, disconnect the speakers, and with no signal going into the amp (volume all the way down), measure the DC voltage at the speaker terminals. It should be near zero, and if it's not, then that voltage will be heating the voice-coil in your woofer. You would then need to get the Denon repaired.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-18-2013, 08:22 AM

Liked: 25
What is the volume scale of that Denon? My HK's go from like -50 to +10. Is +10 near the maximum usable volume from that receiver? If so, you are likely distorting the signal from the receiver to the speaker and that can blow speakers.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-18-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Not sure if its the same speaker or not. I havent taken it apart yet but on the previous speaker it ripped around the base. It sounds ok on lower power but up to 0 it get crackly. Volume range on the Denon is -60 to +18. Even at +15 I dont think its super loud. My house is very open with a open loft upstairs, so maybe more power is needed anyway? Thank you so much! Ill check the DC output tonight.

Thanks again,
BC
post #8 of 11 Old 06-18-2013, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

The Monster cord plugs into the cdr/tape input with two connectors. On the other end it plugs into the ipod headphone jack. I turn the ipod up all the way. then adjust sound via volume on the receiver.

Thanks!
post #9 of 11 Old 06-18-2013, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
If I turned my Denon to +15 it would probably just shut off from trying to draw too much power. If not, it would probably just start burning.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-28-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 137
You are pushing the avr to hard. Buy more power!

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #11 of 11 Old 06-29-2013, 04:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaakmt View Post

Thanks! Not sure if its the same speaker or not. I havent taken it apart yet but on the previous speaker it ripped around the base. It sounds ok on lower power but up to 0 it get crackly. Volume range on the Denon is -60 to +18. Even at +15 I dont think its super loud. My house is very open with a open loft upstairs, so maybe more power is needed anyway? Thank you so much! Ill check the DC output tonight.

Ripped around the bass speaker? Sounds crackly at high volumes? You are perfectly describing a speaker that died due to old age.

The speaker surround disintegrated. If one speaker in a set failed this way the rest of the speakers in the set will likely fail the same way within a month or two.

Alll things considered, your best next move may be a new set of speakers. Upgrade!!

How old are those old speakers anyway?

I've had a number of speakers fail this way over the years. Coincidentally my Paradigm 12" subwoofer failed this way yesterday. It was maybe 10-15 years old. I don't know exactly because I obtained it used. I replaced the subwoofer driver with a good subwoofer driver, but not necessarily a proper replacement. I I had it laying around the house. It's better but probably not exactly right.

I had just ordered a new set of Integrity subwoofer drivers. I am going to start building the new boxes on Monday. They coincidentally showed up yesterday.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page