Audioengine A2, P4, Airmotiv 4, or Pioneer BS22 for office use? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-29-2013, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I would like to get some new speakers for my home office that I'm in many hours per week, listening to music while I work. My budget is no more than $300. I'm considering either higher-end powered monitors or using a T-amp and some passive bookshelf speakers, but don't know which path makes more sense.

I listen mostly to 256-320 MP3s, with some spotify. Mostly I listen to alternative rock, with some electronica and jazz as well, so some decent bass presence is nice but I don't need the real low frequencies while I'm working. If I want to dance, I'll go downstairs. My living room set up is a Klipsch RSX-5 setup with a 10" sub. I like it well enough but it's not like I auditioned a ton of speakers when I got them 8 years ago, so I can't say that I necessarily prefer a very bright sound or not.

They would either sit on my desk (which is fairly large-- 5' x 3') or just off to the side on bookshelves. Not planning to buy a DAC if I can avoid it.

Powered:

Audioengine A2 for $200
2.75 inch woofer 65 Hz
can easily add a sub
(A5+ not in budget)

Emotiva Airmotiv 4 for $300
4.25" woofer 58 Hz
would have to buy a DAC to add sub later

Klipsch Promedia 2.1 $150
and just save the rest of the budget for something else

Passive:

Amp would be the Lepai LP-2020A+ Lepai Tripath Class-T $20

Audioengine P4 for $250 ; $270 w/amp
4" woofer 58 Hz
4-8 ohm; sensitivity 88 db

Pioneer BS22 for $125; $145 w/amp
4" woofer, 55 Hz
6 ohm, 85 db
could add a sub

Of course, I'm open to other suggestions as well! Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-29-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I'd love to test a pair of Audioengine A2's. 65hz is a dubious claim with a 2.5" woofer IMO.

Why would you need a DAC to add a sub to the Airmotive's? A sub can be added easily if you use the PC for volume control - just split the L/R RCA signals going to the Airmotive's and route to the sub's line level inputs and adjust to match. The Airmotive's use an analog signal from the source - not digital.

I like the idea of using the Lepai amp - I have one - very good sound quality at low and mid volumes. In such a close space its all you really need. Find some passive speakers you like and you're set. Adding a sub would entail finding a sub that has speaker level inputs. They are getting a bit rare but are still available. And most after market sub amps still have this connection.

For bookshelf speakers start by looking here: http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/bookshelf/budget-bookshelf-shootout-2009 to see what is available in your budget range. I bought a pair of the Yamaha NS-6490 speakers - they are 'good' but not 'great'. I use them in the garage. With a preamp/amp setup.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 5 Old 06-30-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I suggest that you look at the new powered speakers from PSB; the PS1.

They are apparently very very good.

I use the Audioengine A2 speakers with an inexpensive 12-inch Sony subwoofer with my desktop PC, and that works fine.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-30-2013, 01:41 PM
post #5 of 5 Old 06-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Was in a similar boat as you and own multiple bookshelves speakers, but have decided to get a refurb pair of A2 to try because I have limited desk space. That one was the biggie for me!
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page