Phono Pre-Amp Placement: Newbie Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-29-2013, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So I just got my new Bellari VP130 Phono Preamp to go with my Pro-ject Carbon Debut TT that I'm still waiting on, and I purchased an inexpensive Crowley entertainment stand to set my turntable on, and store my records in. It doesn't appear there is going to be enough room on the top for both the turntable when I get it in, as well as the Pre Amp. I know that you want to play your turntable with the lid off, I am wondering if I take a drill bit to the flimsy backside on the entertainment center, would it be problematic at all to have the phono preamp inside the cabinet? I'm guessing not, but I just want to double check. Maybe there are no stupid questions, but I'm sure mine come close. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-29-2013, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The VP130 uses a single 12AX7 vacuum tube, correct? Ideally you'll want some airflow over the unit to help dissipate the heat generated by the tube. As long as you have that you should be fine. If you don't have that airflow then you might still be okay -- 12AX7s generate only a small amount of heat -- but monitor it closely until you're sure that it will operate reliably.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-30-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 243
It's probably a good idea to cut some fairly large holes in the back panel for good ventilation, but the phono preamp is not going to run all that hot in any case.

I would remove the back panel and use a 1-inch hole saw on it. If it is Masonite, or something similar, it will cut much cleaner if you put a piece of wood behind it while you drill.

No problem.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-30-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Appreciate the input, and the tips. Very helpful! I just want to make sure I have the right setup, to take care of the equipment. I love the fact that this equipment will last (seemingly) forever as long as you care for it.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page