Marantz SR5007 & Martin Logan Motion 12 Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-01-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All

I'm thinking of pairing a Marantz SR5007 with a pair of Martin Logan Motion 12 speakers. The room would be 15 x 15 with 12 foot ceiling. hard wood floors. May at some point add more speakers. would be using both my Mac Book Pro or iphone as source. What do you guys think?
All replies are greatly appreciated. My thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Have you ever listened to the Motion 12? I remember them from a few years and found that they really didn't sound that great with anything but movies. Obviously sound is subjective but if you're going to be listening to a lot of music you can probably find something better.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D, Panamax M-5100PM
2ch Sony 32" W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Panamax MR4300
pc Monitor Audio Radius 90HD, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
+ Sony 65" XBRX850B, Sony BDP-S5100
Old 07-01-2013, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Hi All

No I haven't , I have listened to different Martin Logan Speakers though I can't remember the model number. I'm always open to recommendations, what do you recommend? How about Boston Acoustics A360 speakers?
Old 07-02-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtm55 View Post

Hi All

I'm thinking of pairing a Marantz SR5007 with a pair of Martin Logan Motion 12 speakers. The room would be 15 x 15 with 12 foot ceiling. hard wood floors. May at some point add more speakers. would be using both my Mac Book Pro or iphone as source. What do you guys think?
All replies are greatly appreciated. My thanks in advance.

One word: Why?

Denon and Marantz are a merged company, and unless you have a very specific requirement you can probably get something that sounds the same as a SR5007 with a Denon label on it and pay less and maybe even get something that looks nicer. Or not. There's also probably an Onkyo AVR...

Martin Logan is merged with Paradigm and after looking at Motion 12s my first thought was "Which Paradigm speaker do they appear to be the most like?" Answer: Probably something near the top of the Paradigm Studio line but with an unconventional tweeter that probably has a different directional pattern (for better or worse depending on undocumented aspects of your room) than one of Paradigm's traditional (and usually very good) domes.

There are a jillion different AVRs and another jillion speakers. No one company has a patent on the secret sauce that is required to make the universally best sounding speaker. If Paradigm did, that sauce might end up in both Martin Logan and Paradigm speakers, or not.

The SR5007's sound quality is strongly influenced by a feature called MultEQ XT which is available on other AVRs from other manufacturers. MultiEQ XT is not the top of the lAudyssey ine, but based on my personal experience with a Denon AVR with just plain MultiEq you'd probably be foolish if you did not try to exploit it. Audyssey tends to make speakers sound more alike, but I don't know how far it would go with Martin Logan's folded diaphragm tweeter.

If you go ahead with your plan and do a good installation and also pay attention to room acoustics (possibly problematical especially due to the square format) the results will probably sound pretty good. You probably can do as well for less money if that matters to you.

What matters to you?
Old 07-02-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Hi All
Thanks for the reply. If I can pay less & attain the same quality, I'm all ears pardon the pun. Which Model AVR do you recommend. Demon? Harmon Kardon? As long as said unit has network connection & native iPhone support, I'm game. Same with Speakers. Again, my thanks to all who reply
Old 07-02-2013, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 503
The Motion 12s are basically on clearance where they are still available. Is your budget about $600 for speakers or more? Nothing wrong with the Marantz receiver. Right now it's on clearance as well. I think you can get it for $300 less than MSRP. At that price I think it is an option. You might also consider the Denon 1713 or even the new Denon X series.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
Old 07-03-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 258
The Denon 3312 is excellent, and as it is "last year's model", you can get it for under $600 some places.

The Mordaunt-Short Aviano 6 speakers normally sell for around $900 per pair, but Amazon has them in Black for only $447 per pair.

That is a FAR better speaker IMO than any Martin-Logan speakers you can get for under $800.

(you might want to send a PM to keyboardcat; he bought a pair recently and seems to like them a lot)
jtm55 likes this.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Hi All

Thanks Commsysman for putting me on those Mordaunt-Short speakers & the Denon 3312 AVR, for those prices I think I'll go with this combo.

Tags
Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver