Technics SL-D2 DD - A Good Buy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-02-2013, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I'm a vinyl neophyte about to take the leap into turntables (and speakers, actually) and could use your advice before I make a huge mistake on Craigslist.

What I'm in the Market For: A sub-$100 turntable that will give me a taste of good audio and give me a good jumping-off point for my next purchase. I'd prefer a belt drive, but have found a Technics SL-D2 DD turntable for $75 that looks good to my untrained eye (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/3905264070.html)

In the next year I'll probably resell that on CL and upgrade to something in the $400 range.

Questions For You:
- Without seeing it in person, does the price seem about right considering the turntable and cartridge?
- When I go see it in person, I'm going to bring a couple records and test it using this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHhJlTmcgqs) as a guide. Since I don't plan on doing any dj-ing, I don't think the pitch part should matter much (or should it??) Good plan? Anything I else I should be considering?
- If you were in my shoes (sub-$100, used, belt drive preferred, but DD ok, probably upgrading in a year) would you consider getting this turntable or hold out for something else?

Thanks in advance, I know these threads pop up ALL THE TIME, so I appreciate your patience.

Best (and happy almost 4th!),

Kat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-02-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 101
That isn't one of Technics better turntables but it is better than many other used tables. I have a Phillips 312 turntable. Its belt drive and very quiet - no TT rumble and it has very good sound reproduction. It has a Bang and Ollie MMC 10E cartridge. The 212 is very similar to the 312 TT's and can be found on ebay for around $100 or so depending on cartridge. There seems to be very little price difference between the two models. Not sure what the differences are.

You might find you don't need to upgrade if you find one of these. In the past I've owned Dual - BSR - Technics - Pioneer - Sony etc. Can't remember them all and there are a few I'd like to forget I ever owned. Usual problem was rumble and often tracking was a problem. The BSR's are the worst IMO.

This is the first Phillips TT I've ever owned. It works/sounds better than any TT I've owned previously and there is no rumble so there is no need for subsonic filters. The Phillips is a real sleeper TT IMO. I lucked out when I bought it - got it with a couple hundred LP's - the guy threw in the TT to sweeten the deal. The Bang and Ollie cartridge alone is worth about $100 used.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 7 Old 07-02-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Agree with K90's sentiments that it's not the best DD TT they ever made, but it is a decent TT and the one you linked looks OK from the photos so I'd probably grab it but test it before you exchange $. Always assume a second hand art is toast and factor in the cost of replacing that - the Shure M97xE is a great cart and can be found on ebay for ~$70 NIB. You're also going to need a phono preamp, either stand alone or choose an amp/receiver with one included.

Next real upgrade is going to be an SL1200 which will be more than $400. But before you do that, build up a good collection of vinyl - it will be a more enjoyable way of spending the $.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-03-2013, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice, guys! The person selling it decided to up the price AND isn't okay with a test run prior to purchase, so I'm back to surfing CL and Ebay. Ah, well. The right one will turn up eventually!
post #5 of 7 Old 07-03-2013, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
if he won't do a test run something is wrong with it and he is shady. the fact that he upped the price is shady also. don't buy from him
post #6 of 7 Old 07-04-2013, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Any hi fi stores near you that may have a demo turntable that they had sitting around for a while that you may be able to get a deal on? I worry that a lot of the craigslist turntables are going to have worn out platters needles etc and may cost more to repair then buying a new turntable.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-04-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

I worry that a lot of the craigslist turntables are going to have worn out platters needles etc and may cost more to repair then buying a new turntable.
Platters don't wear, bearings in TT's are so lightly loaded that they will never wear out in domestic use, and as I have already said, assume the cartridge is rubbish and factor in the cost of replacement.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page