need help finding good choice for 2.0 pc stereo setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-05-2013, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
a while back i picked up some creative t20 series II speakers for my pc and not really happy with them so i am looking for something to use for blu ray movies,music and some games. would be nice to get something that i could add a sub to later if i decide i want to. budget is about $200 for either something like a t-amp or similar with bookshelves/passive monitors or powered speakers pair. will be hooked to an asus xonar dg sound card on my pc. dont want anything too deep 7inches max depth would prefer something closer to 6inches width not so limited at 11 max with and no height limit.

so what mini amp bookshelves would you guys recommend or powered speakers:D thanks for any and all help and your time

any other info that would help or i left out just let me know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

just so you guys know why the size limitations

table is 48 inches wide and about 24 deep and the monitor is about 22.5 inches wide
Old 07-05-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 504
The size constraints as well as the $200 budget do limit your options. The Pioneer BS22s are in budget but are just a bit too big. The Cambridge S30s are just a tad big and out of budget. The Audioengine A2 would fit in that space and is one possible option (powered monitors, these are in budget). The Emotiva Airmotiv 4 would fit perfectly but are $299 on sale (powered monitors). Is there any way you could increase your budget? Otherwise, it might make sense to go with something from Logitech or Klipsch.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
Old 07-05-2013, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

The size constraints as well as the $200 budget do limit your options. The Pioneer BS22s are in budget but are just a bit too big. The Cambridge S30s are just a tad big and out of budget. The Audioengine A2 would fit in that space and is one possible option (powered monitors, these are in budget). The Emotiva Airmotiv 4 would fit perfectly but are $299 on sale (powered monitors). Is there any way you could increase your budget? Otherwise, it might make sense to go with something from Logitech or Klipsch.

i have listened to the logitech and klipsch computer speakers and dont like either. for either the pioneer or the cambridge i will need a small amp what would you recommend to power them and how do they compare to the A2 speakers from audio engine that name came up alot when looking around. $300 would be my "absolute" limit on budget but still would like to stay away from there if i can also how much better is the emotiva airmotiv 4 compared to the others you suggested?
Old 07-06-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

And how would something like the behringer ms40 studio monitors compare to the ones already suggested
Old 07-06-2013, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Any other thoughts ?
Old 07-06-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Come on I know you guys are hidin out there ._. Just waiting to offer a suggestion or give your opinion biggrin.gif
Old 07-06-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

The t-amp would be just fine for moderate volumes for either the Cambridge or Pioneer passive speakers. Powered monitors might make more sense in your situation as they are specifically designed for near-field use and the Emotiva speakers are definitely worth it for the sale price. I haven´t heard the Behringer speakers but they generally make high quality powered monitors. I do like the Behringer Truth monitors.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The t-amp would be just fine for moderate volumes for either the Cambridge or Pioneer passive speakers. Powered monitors might make more sense in your situation as they are specifically designed for near-field use and the Emotiva speakers are definitely worth it for the sale price. I haven´t heard the Behringer speakers but they generally make high quality powered monitors. I do like the Behringer Truth monitors.

Thanks for the help I will have to save a little more money for the emotiva monitors
Old 07-13-2013, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

still getting money together but went to a local guitar center and listened to some speakers how would the Presonus Eris E5( http://www.presonus.com/products/Eris )compare to the emotiva airmotiv 4 i think i will like the tweeter better on the emotiva but the Presonus was very clear and much better sounding than any of the other stuff they had out to listen to:/
Old 07-13-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I have not listened to this particular monitor. They look good on paper but that doesn´t say much. I imagine the folded-ribbon tweeter on the Emotiva could possibly be better (or really just different regarding SQ) than the soft dome tweeter of the PreSonus but that´s pure speculation on my part. How much are they going for?

Old 07-13-2013, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have not listened to this particular monitor. They look good on paper but that doesn´t say much. I imagine the folded-ribbon tweeter on the Emotiva could possibly be better (or really just different regarding SQ) than the soft dome tweeter of the PreSonus but that´s pure speculation on my part. How much are they going for?

they are going for like $150 each so the same as the airmotiv 4's
Old 07-13-2013, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

also whichever way i go what else would i have to get the get the most out of the speakers would i need a DAC running it off my xonar dg sound card? or anything else i dont know about also i read something on head fi a guy with the airmotiv 5's changed a fuse and he said it made a huge difference :/ i dont understand that
Old 07-13-2013, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot1234 View Post

also whichever way i go what else would i have to get the get the most out of the speakers would i need a DAC running it off my xonar dg sound card? or anything else i dont know about also i read something on head fi a guy with the airmotiv 5's changed a fuse and he said it made a huge difference :/ i dont understand that

Your Xonar has a DAC, and you probably don't need another. Try it and see how you like it. If you have (or buy) an external DAC, your Xonar will go unused.

On one hand, Head-Fi can sometimes be a good source of information. On the other, it's brimming with fairy tales about how changing a fuse or swapping one wire for another makes a huge, night-and-day difference. These stories may be entertaining but it's best to treat them as what they really are: Works of speculative fiction.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Old 07-14-2013, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilcar Barca View Post

Your Xonar has a DAC, and you probably don't need another. Try it and see how you like it. If you have (or buy) an external DAC, your Xonar will go unused.

On one hand, Head-Fi can sometimes be a good source of information. On the other, it's brimming with fairy tales about how changing a fuse or swapping one wire for another makes a huge, night-and-day difference. These stories may be entertaining but it's best to treat them as what they really are: Works of speculative fiction.
Ok that's good saves me money biggrin.gif. Also I just made a paper box the size of the airmotiv 4 spec and its a tight fit any suggestion on a wall mounting bracket or something :/
Old 07-14-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok that's good saves me money biggrin.gif. Also I just made a paper box the size of the airmotiv 4 spec and its a tight fit any suggestion on a wall mounting bracket or something :/

I agree with Barca. You don´t need a DAC with the Xonar soundcard. From you picture it looks like you could pull your peripherals closer to the front of the desk and free up a little space. Is that an option?

Old 07-14-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I agree with Barca. You don´t need a DAC with the Xonar soundcard. From you picture it looks like you could pull your peripherals closer to the front of the desk and free up a little space. Is that an option?

when i am gaming for hours i need to rest my arms on the table what i need is to make a new desk 30inches deep give me 6 more inches to play with for speaker depth:/
Old 07-14-2013, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

ok so i just pulled the trigger on the Airmotiv 4's which hurt the bank account but i hope they are up to my expectations and needs but i dont have a way to connect them to my pc and have some questions about that as well i have an asus xonar dg sound card and there is only a headphone?front speaker 3.5mm out so which would be better to buy a 3.5 to left right rca or a 3.5 to dual xlr? i hadnt even seen xlr before this. and my other question is should i run it from my sound card to the speakers or the motherboards audio out for best sound?

thanks for your help i would like to order these tonight or early tomorrow so i can have them when or before the speakers arrive
Old 07-15-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 464
I would just go with a 3.5mm to RCA. XLR is a balanced connection, but 3.5mm is not, so it doesn't do much good to get XLR unless that is all you have. Definitely use the sound card, it has a DAC and will clean up interference from your computer.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Old 07-15-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

I would just go with a 3.5mm to RCA. XLR is a balanced connection, but 3.5mm is not, so it doesn't do much good to get XLR unless that is all you have. Definitely use the sound card, it has a DAC and will clean up interference from your computer.

thanks for your help i just ordered a 3.5mm to rca cable from monoprice also just wondering but would you have a dac you would recommend to use for the speakers that would allow me to add a sub later so i could just use my sound card for my headset since it has a headphone amp built in ? would like a decent DAC as cheap as possible the speakers were 100 more really than i wanted to pay so really right on money atm but i hope i love them:D
Old 07-15-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Well you probably won't find something with a sub-out in your budget. You can however use the speaker level connections on a sub to incorporate it. What you could do it grab a Behringer UCA202, its $29.99 and plugs in via USB. You then run RCA cables to the speakers.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well you probably won't find something with a sub-out in your budget. You can however use the speaker level connections on a sub to incorporate it. What you could do it grab a Behringer UCA202, its $29.99 and plugs in via USB. You then run RCA cables to the speakers.

how does that behringer dac compare to the Fiio D3 DAC (http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Digital-Analog-Audio-Converter/dp/B005PWPUW6 ) or the Monoprice dac ( http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=6884&seq=1&format=2 )

they both have optical in and i have an optical out on my sound card would that be better than usb?
Old 07-15-2013, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I agree. XLR has its uses, but only if the connection is balanced from end to end. Otherwise, the OP should use what he's (she's?) got or buy something inexpensive.

Quote:

Once again, I agree.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I agree. XLR has its uses, but only if the connection is balanced from end to end. Otherwise, the OP should use what he's (she's?) got or buy something inexpensive.

Once again, I agree.

how does that behringer dac compare to the Fiio D3 DAC (http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Digital-Analog-Audio-Converter/dp/B005PWPUW6 ) or the Monoprice dac ( http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=6884&seq=1&format=2 )

they both have optical in and i have an optical out on my sound card would that be better than usb?
Old 07-15-2013, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

Once again, I agree.

I have no experience with the FiiO or Monoprice devices.

Optical has a few (potential) advantages over USB. It's less likely to pick up EMI and RFI (which is unlikely to be a problem for most home users) and it can carry a 5.1-channel stream without proprietary USB drivers. However, if the DAC has only two channels, the signal must be down-mixed in the PC or at the DAC.

USB, I've read, has lower jitter than S/PDIF (optical or coax) and HDMI. The cables are cheaper and easier to find. I choose to use USB from the PC to the '222 and RCA cables to the speakers.

I'd choose the better sounding DAC, the one most convenient to use, the least expensive, or some combination of these. But really, that's not very helpful.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have no experience with the FiiO or Monoprice devices.

Optical has a few (potential) advantages over USB. It's less likely to pick up EMI and RFI (which is unlikely to be a problem for most home users) and it can carry a 5.1-channel stream without proprietary USB drivers. However, if the DAC has only two channels, the signal must be down-mixed in the PC or at the DAC.

USB, I've read, has lower jitter than S/PDIF (optical or coax) and HDMI. The cables are cheaper and easier to find. I choose to use USB from the PC to the '222 and RCA cables to the speakers.

I'd choose the better sounding DAC, the one most convenient to use, the least expensive, or some combination of these. But really, that's not very helpful.

thanks for the info i guess i will start reading up on the all 3 dacs and see if i can find any comparisons what about the behringer 222 its the update from the 202 right ?
Old 07-15-2013, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
thanks for the info i guess i will start reading up on the all 3 dacs and see if i can find any comparisons what about the behringer 222 its the update from the 202 right ?

I'm not sure. When I bought it, I thought the '222 was a '202 in a red case bundled with some freely downloadable software. I never even looked the software. I wanted the red case.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not sure. When I bought it, I thought the '222 was a '202 in a red case bundled with some freely downloadable software. I never even looked the software. I wanted the red case.

AFAIK this is the case.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

AFAIK this is the case.

Afaik ?

Tags
Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers Sp Bs22 Lr , Cambridge Audio Bookshelf Speakers S30