LIST YOUR VINTAGE GEAR HERE - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 340 Old 01-17-2014, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 407
I just picked up 9 vintage LP's in my preferred rock genre at the only record store left in my town. Some great finds and still more to come, but you would have to spend a couple of weeks there to go through them all. Just a fun couple of hours!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 340 Old 01-17-2014, 08:59 PM

Location: 41.7080574, -83.5911255 N41° 42.4834', W083° 35.4675'
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post

Kevin,

The Ortofon cartridge you mentioned is a great cartridge for the price. Ortofon makes some of the best out there (up to some very esoteric versions, but their more affordable ones are excellent). Nice gear by the way, some real classics.

It'll be one good day if I ever buy it. Thanks! It's crazy that 90% of this stuff (save my TV and game consoles) I bought individually for around $30 each biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

I just picked up 9 vintage LP's in my preferred rock genre at the only record store left in my town. Some great finds and still more to come, but you would have to spend a couple of weeks there to go through them all. Just a fun couple of hours!

That's one of the reasons why I got into the vinyl, it's always fun seeing what you can find. Here where I live there's like six different record stores and each has a pretty good collection of albums. I got the Beatles red compilation album for $3 dollars in pristine condition, by pristine I mean like it's never been played before. Plus I got four other rock albums all for $4.55 smile.gif
comfynumb likes this.

"Then one day you find ten years have got behind you no one told when to run you missed the starting gun."
post #93 of 340 Old 01-18-2014, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeam418 View Post

It'll be one good day if I ever buy it. Thanks! It's crazy that 90% of this stuff (save my TV and game consoles) I bought individually for around $30 each biggrin.gif

That's one of the reasons why I got into the vinyl, it's always fun seeing what you can find. Here where I live there's like six different record stores and each has a pretty good collection of albums. I got the Beatles red compilation album for $3 dollars in pristine condition, by pristine I mean like it's never been played before. Plus I got four other rock albums all for $4.55 smile.gif

Awesome finds and what a deal smile.gif
I just picked an original unopened Led Zeppelin 1 and a Beatles original Sgt Peppers at my local shop. Capital records were actually made here at one time, and if you look on the back of many US Beatles albums it will say my towns name.
post #94 of 340 Old 01-18-2014, 03:10 AM

Quote:

Awesome finds and what a deal smile.gif
I just picked an original unopened Led Zeppelin 1 and a Beatles original Sgt Peppers at my local shop. Capital records were actually made here at one time, and if you look on the back of many US Beatles albums it will say my towns name.
Really? Wow talk about a lot of history. I got Sgt Peppers on cassete.

"Then one day you find ten years have got behind you no one told when to run you missed the starting gun."
post #95 of 340 Old 01-18-2014, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Really? Wow talk about a lot of history. I got Sgt Peppers on cassete.

We are a bunch on here right? Cassette tapes vinyl and you know someone that's posting here is using 8 tracks biggrin.gif
Yeah when I was a kid I could ride my bike to the record factory in two minutes. It's sad to see it all run down but I believe it says capital records on it somewhere and last I knew a trucking company was using it.

post #96 of 340 Old 01-18-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 50
^^^ That's pretty cool that you are near such a historic place.

We only have 2 places that still sell LPs here, Hastings and Record Round Up (they sell LP's and Tapes). I also have a collection of cassette tapes, but a LOT of LP's. Note, those of you getting into this, keeping them clean is extremely important. You an get automated versions (can get very expensive) or one from Spin Clean that can be purchased from many sites: manual version.

The automatic ones actually wet clean and vacuum the record.

This is one of the cheaper versions - vacuums but manual turning:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/Record-Doctor-V-Record-Cleaning-Machine/productinfo/RDV/#.UtqOqBDn9hE

At a minimum, use a good record brush. Even new records have vinyl debris from the cutting process.

As far as 8-track tapes, they were never a good medium (very low fidelity and you could always hear the track on the other side). We had a couple players back in the day and just got rid of it all. Cassettes on the other hand can sound pretty incredible.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #97 of 340 Old 01-18-2014, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^^ That's pretty cool that you are near such a historic place.

We only have 2 places that still sell LPs here, Hastings and Record Round Up (they sell LP's and Tapes). I also have a collection of cassette tapes, but a LOT of LP's. Note, those of you getting into this, keeping them clean is extremely important. You an get automated versions (can get very expensive) or one from Spin Clean that can be purchased from many sites: manual version.

The automatic ones actually wet clean and vacuum the record.

This is one of the cheaper versions - vacuums but manual turning:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/Record-Doctor-V-Record-Cleaning-Machine/productinfo/RDV/#.UtqOqBDn9hE

At a minimum, use a good record brush. Even new records have vinyl debris from the cutting process.

As far as 8-track tapes, they were never a good medium (very low fidelity and you could always hear the track on the other side). We had a couple players back in the day and just got rid of it all. Cassettes on the other hand can sound pretty incredible.

It's too bad all the old factories are all shut down. All that's left is a big munitions plant.

I'm leaning towards the spin clean machine, but I'm wondering what's on their fluid and if it's safe.

Yes 8 tracks always sounded pretty horrible. I was an avid cassette user and recorded an incredible amount of media over the years. One thing I do like is the reel to reel machine, and yours is a beauty.
post #98 of 340 Old 01-18-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's too bad all the old factories are all shut down. All that's left is a big munitions plant.

I'm leaning towards the spin clean machine, but I'm wondering what's on their fluid and if it's safe.

Yes 8 tracks always sounded pretty horrible. I was an avid cassette user and recorded an incredible amount of media over the years. One thing I do like is the reel to reel machine, and yours is a beauty.

I have both of the above cleaners cleaning systems. The liquid for both are great, they won't hurt the vinyl (they were made by experts that love vinyl). I also use a simple LP brush before each play (and hit with an anti-static gun: Zerostat).

Ray

post #99 of 340 Old 01-18-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:

Actually, 8-track was better audio quality due the faster speed (3 3/4 ips) compared to cassette (1 7/8 ips). Much less "hiss".
Cassettes were convenient due to size and Dolby helped with the hiss issues.
post #100 of 340 Old 01-18-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Actually, 8-track was better audio quality due the faster speed (3 3/4 ips) compared to cassette (1 7/8 ips). Much less "hiss".
Cassettes were convenient due to size and Dolby helped with the hiss issues.

Yes, 8-track was higher speed, but had too many short comings:

Lots of cross-talk
Extreme wow and flutter issues
Jammed frequently
Very poor case design (you could hear the tape reel spinning most of the time - very noise mechanism).

Cassettes (compact cassette) did have the help of Dolby, but this medium was quite good once they started using Chrome tape with high bias. There was very little his and good decks had great bandwidth (some reaching the 20-20K Hz). Many would even approach the quality of Reel to Reel (standard 7 1/2" versions, not the larger 10" pro models). So, a good cassette deck with a good medium (like any other medium, including CD), it sounded pretty good. Well made LPs can sound great. I never heard a good 8-tack, maybe you have. in the late 70's I remember my dad purchasing some "high-end" versions (not sure if there was such a thing) of 8-track players and all the shortcomings were still there. And then you have companies like Nakamichi making killer tape decks (along with Revox, Denon, and many others) that were just amazing at the time.

8 Tracks have their place in history and I'm not knocking that, I just didn't see it as a viable magnetic medium, even in it's hay-day. My opinion of course...

Ray

post #101 of 340 Old 01-18-2014, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

But you couldn't expect to get the entire 8-track experience without one of these wedged under it so you weren't hearing Aqualung the same time as you were listening too Cross Eyed Mary.

Knucklehead90 likes this.
post #102 of 340 Old 01-18-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But you couldn't expect to get the entire 8-track experience without one of these wedged under it so you weren't hearing Aqualung the same time as you were listening too Cross Eyed Mary.

biggrin.gif

Ray

post #103 of 340 Old 01-18-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Before cassettes, there was 8-track. Before that was reel-to-reel. Just as today, with MP3 and digital media, people choose convenience over quality.
Judged by today's standards... they all had problems.

Remember Elcassettes? What happened with DAT? tongue.gif
cavchameleon likes this.
post #104 of 340 Old 01-18-2014, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have to admit I had a pretty rockin Craig power play 8-track and a set of Jensen speakers in my first or second car. Problem was you could here the lifters in the motor over the tape deck, fill the oil and check the gas biggrin.gif
post #105 of 340 Old 01-18-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Before cassettes, there was 8-track. Before that was reel-to-reel. Just as today, with MP3 and digital media, people choose convenience over quality.
Judged by today's standards... they all had problems.

Remember Elcassettes? What happened with DAT? tongue.gif

Agreed! It is too bad that lower quality convenience is overcoming quality (especially since SACD and DVDA are better then redbook cd - if mastered correctly that is).

Reel to Reels stuck around until the early 80's actually, along with the last cassette decks. I have the last run of Akai's R-R (the GX-77, along with their 10"version, the GX-747). It's a great deck, but R-R are too inconvenient for most - takes up a LOT of space for the media, expensive, and more laborious to deal with. In any case, they sounded pretty great. The one I have has 6 heads and sounds pretty close to a CD, but of course can't match digital's very low noise floor and high dynamic range (which is unfortunately moot with a lot of todays recordings when things are being compressed to less than a 10db range when you can have over 100db).

Ray

post #106 of 340 Old 01-18-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have to admit I had a pretty rockin Craig power play 8-track and a set of Jensen speakers in my first or second car. Problem was you could here the lifters in the motor over the tape deck, fill the oil and check the gas biggrin.gif

Memiores!!!eek.gif Brings a lot back.

Ray

post #107 of 340 Old 01-19-2014, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey guys, I'm thinking about adding a Sansui 8080 to my gear they are reasonably priced. 80 WPC and if I remember correctly the Sansui's had a sweet sound. The 8080 has a big brother the 9090 that was 110 WPC, same chassis and case. I wouldn't think that 30 watts would make that much of a difference though.

post #108 of 340 Old 01-19-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:

Hey guys, I'm thinking about adding a Sansui 8080 to my gear they are reasonably priced. 80 WPC and if I remember correctly the Sansui's had a sweet sound. The 8080 has a big brother the 9090 that was 110 WPC, same chassis and case. I wouldn't think that 30 watts would make that much of a difference though.

Looks sweet! 80 WPC will do just fine, a lot of the Pioneer silver face receivers only had about 20 WPC but considering most of the time you'll be using 1 watt or less it doesn't really matter.

post #109 of 340 Old 01-20-2014, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks sweet! 80 WPC will do just fine, a lot of the Pioneer silver face receivers only had about 20 WPC but considering most of the time you'll be using 1 watt or less it doesn't really matter.

I figure it will be enough power also. The one I'm looking at was serviced and its all working, the only thing is the finish (vinyl) is in rough shape and I'm wondering if there is a way to have it redone.
post #110 of 340 Old 01-20-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:

I figure it will be enough power also. The one I'm looking at was serviced and its all working, the only thing is the finish (vinyl) is in rough shape and I'm wondering if there is a way to have it redone.

I would get that one, capacitors only last for around 30 years. Don't know about the vinyl.

post #111 of 340 Old 01-20-2014, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would get that one, capacitors only last for around 30 years. Don't know about the vinyl.

That's what worries me a TT is one thing but all those electronics in a receiver is another.
post #112 of 340 Old 01-20-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:

That's what worries me a TT is one thing but all those electronics in a receiver is another.

Don't worry too much. My receiver is 33 years old, and it sounds fine. If it's restored it's good for another 30 years or so. If you here some hum or if it distorts than you'll know the capacitors need replaced. If it scratches it's usually dirty pots.

I just edited because my grammar was bad.

post #113 of 340 Old 01-21-2014, 12:48 PM

Liked: 20

Greetings,

Rotel RSP-970

Rotel RDA-985 (dts)

(5) JBL 4408 (*Parts Express Morel drivers)

(3) Hafler P1000

Technics SP-25 (avatar)

post #114 of 340 Old 01-21-2014, 01:07 PM

Liked: 20
post #115 of 340 Old 01-21-2014, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bralas View Post

Greetings,

Rotel RSP-970
Rotel RDA-985 (dts)
(5) JBL 4408 (*Parts Express Morel drivers)
(3) Hafler P1000
Technics SP-25 (avatar)

Nice.
post #116 of 340 Old 01-21-2014, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't worry too much. My receiver is 33 years old, and it sounds fine. If it's restored it's good for another 30 years or so. If you here some hum or if it distorts than you'll know the capacitors need replaced. If it scratches it's usually dirty pots.

I just edited because my grammar was bad.

It wasn't restored just light use and cleaned up. I'm thinking it over still.
post #117 of 340 Old 01-21-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:

It wasn't restored just light use and cleaned up. I'm thinking it over still.

At 30 c, two hours a day, you still have about 82,990 hours left biggrin.gif There's a whole obsession that capacitors must be replaced after a certain amount of time, when in reality caps can last till you going into retirement.

post #118 of 340 Old 01-22-2014, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At 30 c, two hours a day, you still have about 82,990 hours left biggrin.gif There's a whole obsession that capacitors must be replaced after a certain amount of time, when in reality caps can last till you going into retirement.

I've often wondered if they would sound the same as they did back in the day. I'm still looking into one but I've yet to pull the trigger.

Edit;
I talked to the guy more about the Sansui receiver today and he told me they replaced some of the caps and the rest were within spec. It sounds like it's ready to go, the only thing is the case is rough, it's vinyl covered and peeling.
post #119 of 340 Old 01-22-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:

I've often wondered if they would sound the same as they did back in the day. I'm still looking into one but I've yet to pull the trigger.

Edit;
I talked to the guy more about the Sansui receiver today and he told me they replaced some of the caps and the rest were within spec. It sounds like it's ready to go, the only thing is the case is rough, it's vinyl covered and peeling.

If you can fix the vinyl, I would say buy it. I have a Technics SA-200 (from around 76') that, as far as I know, is the original caps the only problem I've had is the light flickers at anything above half volume.

post #120 of 340 Old 01-22-2014, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you can fix the vinyl, I would say buy it. I have a Technics SA-200 (from around 76') that, as far as I know, is the original caps the only problem I've had is the light flickers at anything above half volume.

What do you mean if I can fix the vinyl?

Technics made some great gear back in the day.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page