Using Headphones with HDTV Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-17-2013, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope this is the appropriate forum for this question.

I have a Samsung un55f7100 LED television, which I'm enjoying more-and-more each day. I originally wanted a sound bar to go with it but decided that it would be better for me to get some nice headphones instead (so I could enjoy playing games, etc. with the volume as loud as I want it). I ended getting V-Moda m100s, which I also love. They plug into the R-L Audio Mini Jack in the back and work, but I have two problems that I need help with.

The first isn't anything major. I just need a 12' to 15' long extension cable so I can sit comfortable in my bed at night and watch TV with the headphones on. If there are any recommendations for a good cable (and I want a good one as I'd hate to spend $1700 on a TV and $300 on headphones but have the sound messing up because of a cheap cable), I'd appreciate it.

Second problem is my main one and why I created this thread. I know NOTHING about headphones and hooking them up to TV, so forgive my ignorance with this. With the V-Modas plugged into the Samsung, I turn off the TV speakers so the sound only goes through the headphones, of course. However, there is no way for me to then control the volume. When I try to use the TV remote, it says something along the lines of "Use Volume Control on your External Sound Device" (not the exact phrase but close enough) and won't let me increase/decrease the volume. What do I need to get in order to be able to make the sound louder (and control the sound in general) on my headphones since I can't use the TV to do it? I've tried researching it and appears I need an amp of some sort, but I'm not sure which one. I love the sound of the V-Modas as-is, so I mainly want something to help me increase/decrease the volume while wearing them. I have looked at various amps but most are portable with batteries and such, and I'd just prefer something that can plug into the wall so I just sit down, plug the headphones into it, and watch TV/play games.

I'd appreciate any help and/or recommendations with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-17-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 214

The ''amp'' is a stereo amplifier, it only needs to have a headphone intrance. You connect the amp to the TV (L audio R) and use the headphone intrance of amp for your headphone. That way you can use the amp for volume control. The stereo amplifier does not need speakers if you only use the headphone option.

There are many stereo amplifiers which can do this
LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01
post #3 of 7 Old 07-17-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

post #4 of 7 Old 07-17-2013, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21

That will work fine.

In the area where you found the "Use Volume Control on your External Sound Device" setting, maybe there are other options. Your TV may also have a setting where it controls the volume. If it does, you can use the TV's remote and an external amp isn't required just to control the volume.

post #5 of 7 Old 07-17-2013, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

OK. Really appreciate all the help. I already checked all the TV options and even asked on Samsung's website, and it looks like I'm going to have to get an amp.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-17-2013, 07:08 PM

Liked: 20
I've found that some of the smaller little speaker setups for a PC. Some are battery powered others with an AC adapter. An example is the Altec Lansing series 100. Ac adapter powered, two speakers powered by a small amplifier. Next to the volume controlon the left speaker is a headphone jack that kills the speakers when a headphone jack is inserted. Other off name brands run around $20.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-17-2013, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurryStorm View Post

OK. Really appreciate all the help. I already checked all the TV options and even asked on Samsung's website, and it looks like I'm going to have to get an amp.

I checked the User's Guide and it appears you're right. The FiiO E9K you mentioned earlier will do what you want.

Their E5 would also work. I used one for a few weeks. It's much smaller, and cheaper, but the volume control isn't nearly as convenient.

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page