2 channel system using Legacy Focus SE - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1 of 69 Old 07-25-2013, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I am pondering setting up a 2 channel system for the living room, all I know so far is I want to use Legacy Focus SE for the speakers, and would like advice for other components. Its an open living/dining room with vaulted ceiling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 Old 07-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What are your sources? CD? Turntable? Digital music? Is there a TV/Blueray/cable box in the mix?

Oh, and budget? smile.gif
post #3 of 69 Old 07-26-2013, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

CD and electronic, might hook a computer into the system. TV, blu-ray and cable are all in the family room HT setup, this is just for listening.
post #4 of 69 Old 07-27-2013, 01:55 PM

Liked: 10
I also have a pair of Legacy Focus SE's and have the following components:
Technics SL1210 M5G turntable
Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena phono pre amp
Parashoud JC2 - Pre-amplifier
Oppo BD-95 disc player
Pair of McIntosh MC-501's
McIntosh MR-77 Tuner
No DAC yet but looking into it
I'm assuming if you are looking at the Focus SE's that your budget is pretty robust. In any case, there are literally thousand of options but the system that I am using sounds great together. Good luck with your system.
post #5 of 69 Old 07-30-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 257
The Legacy Focus SE is a very nice speaker.

IMO the Vandersteen Treo is an even better speaker, for $6000 per pair, but perhaps you already have the speakers.

In any case, to do those speakers justice you need a good signal source, and the OPPO BDP-105 is $1200 and is wonderful; nothing like it anywhere near its price.

It is probably the best-sounding CD/SACD player for under $10,000, AND has an excellent DAC, AND will play music files from a computer via USB or direct from a USB flash drive inserted in the front-panel socket or almost any other digital source, and has about 20 other functions as well. It also will play music direct from the internet, hard-wired or wireless, and also plays Bluray. and DVD.

It is simply an incredible product. I suggest that you go to the OPPO website and look at what it will do. Stereophile recommends it as an A+ CD/SACD player in its Recommended Components.

For an amplifier, I suggest the Musical Fidelity M6i, which is only $3000 and is wonderful-sounding and has huge power reserves.

Personally, I use a Bryston 3B-SST2 power amplifier an an Audio Research LS-26 preamp to drive my Vandersteens. The sound is to die for, but that combo will cost you around $12,000.
jb82 likes this.
post #6 of 69 Old 07-30-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Fastdart:

Your BDP-95 is usable as a DAC. You may not need another one.

Just send anything to the USB input or other digital input and play it through the BDP-95 DAC, or use your computer to record music on a USB flash drive and plug it into the USB socket on the front panel.

Just select "MUSIC" in the main menu and the list of selections will come up on the screen of the monitor.
post #7 of 69 Old 07-30-2013, 05:11 PM

Liked: 14
Commysman - were you able to do gapless playback with your Oppo?

I use a BDP-95 with USB hard drive, sometimes choosing Oppo's internal DAC, other times rendering to another DAC via coax digital out. Am happy with the results in their different ways, but really need gapless (esp for classical music). Will leave the '95 to play optical disks only and switch to another rendering method for the other DAC when budget permits.

fastdart69 - congrats on your system!
post #8 of 69 Old 07-30-2013, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

ya those MC501s should definitely do the trick smile.gif
post #9 of 69 Old 07-30-2013, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

I will check out the Vandersteens in October at RMAF
post #10 of 69 Old 08-05-2013, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
In that price range you may want to check out the Aerial 7T's too.smile.gif
g_bartman likes this.
post #11 of 69 Old 08-16-2013, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think the Bryston 3B-SST2 is beefy enough for the Legacy Focus SE. I think I would need the 14B-SST2 @ $5500. I am also looking at the McIntosh MC452 but its more expensive $7500.
post #12 of 69 Old 08-16-2013, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

I was way off base on the Bryston 14B-SST2 its more like $9500, the 4B-SST2 is about $5000, I also just looked at a couple Krell Evolution 2250 $8000 and then an integrated model that might be the way to go S-550i for about $5000 and a big used Krell 402
post #13 of 69 Old 08-22-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I heard a pair of Focus SEs last weekend with Emotiva XPR-1s for ampage.
Really, really nice.
Of course listen for yourself but I would pick the Focus over the Treo but then again it's not my money wink.gif
Definitely a thumbs up on the Oppo 105.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #14 of 69 Old 08-23-2013, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip on the Emotiva XPR-1, they are a lot more reasonably priced than the other amps I have been looking at.
post #15 of 69 Old 08-23-2013, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

I heard a pair of Focus SEs last weekend with Emotiva XPR-1s for ampage.
Really, really nice.
What sort of music were you all listening to?
post #16 of 69 Old 08-23-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry7995 View Post

What sort of music were you all listening to?
Pretty much all genres, acoustic, rock, classical, soundtracks, etc.
IMO, the type of music is not that important.
The speakers and the system sound fantastic.

The XPR-1s are monsters. Emotiva has many other amp options.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #17 of 69 Old 01-31-2014, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

I don't think the Bryston 3B-SST2 is beefy enough for the Legacy Focus SE. I think I would need the 14B-SST2 @ $5500. I am also looking at the McIntosh MC452 but its more expensive $7500.

14B-SST2 .......That is exactly what I am using to drive my Focus SE's.

See My System Here

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."
post #18 of 69 Old 01-31-2014, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Yes I was way low on what I thought was the cost of the 14B-SST2 smile.gif
expensive hobby!
I have still not set up my 2 channel system, keep spending the money on other things like new furniture and mtn bikes smile.gif
I was an electronic dance music club called Beta in Denver the other weekend and they had enclosure towers at the 4 corners of the main dance floor, holy crap the bass in there was unreal, rattled my whole body.
post #19 of 69 Old 01-31-2014, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Used market can get one for under $3000

See My System Here

post #20 of 69 Old 02-02-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 352

Can't go wrong with the Emotiva XPR-1's and the Focus SE's.  I loved the sound I got from that combo:

For full range beasts like the Focus SEs, you want to make sure you have enough reserve for peaks.  At 1750wpc into the 4 Ohm Focus SEs, that isn't a problem you'll ever have.

larry7995 and jb82 like this.
post #21 of 69 Old 02-04-2014, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Why not use a pro amp, like behringer ep4000 (about 1000W per channel on 4ohm, or 2000w in bridge mode, 4ohm)? It will cost you less than $400 each + the cost of changing the stock fan for a silent one.
post #22 of 69 Old 02-07-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I have a system that is ht but also heavily used for 2 channel. The 2 channel portion is, Oppo 105-Marantz-8801-mcintosh mc252-Aerial 7t's and a Martin Logan depth I. I am finnaly 100% happy with my stereo system.

post #23 of 69 Old 02-07-2014, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Can't go wrong with the Emotiva XPR-1's and the Focus SE's.  I loved the sound I got from that combo:

For full range beasts like the Focus SEs, you want to make sure you have enough reserve for peaks.  At 1750wpc into the 4 Ohm Focus SEs, that isn't a problem you'll ever have.

Hey Brolic. I know you enjoyed the Legacy's but it looks like you are moving to more HT dedicated style speakers. Is it the power/SPL you are looking for or dispersion?

See My System Here

post #24 of 69 Old 02-07-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post

Hey Brolic. I know you enjoyed the Legacy's but it looks like you are moving to more HT dedicated style speakers. Is it the power/SPL you are looking for or dispersion?

Greetings. Imaging and output at reference levels are important to me for movies, while delicacy and depth are more important to me for music.  I'm learning that the only way to truly have the best of both worlds is to actually have both worlds. lol--so I'm building a Legacy Aeris (Music Juggernaut) based two channel system, while utilizing the Triad Platinum (Home Theater Juggernauts) for the dedicated theater.  The Legacy AMT's convey depth in ways I've never heard.  If you put your ear right to the AMT array, you can hear the layers of depth right there.  from the sweet spot, with a female vocal or a choir/quartet, etc. it's just sublime.  Music listening perfection, in my book.  For Home Theater, the Triad Platinums do not image like that up close becasue they're made to fill large rooms.  When seated a bit further back, the Platinums imaging snaps into a crazy focus where you can envision a wall of sound.  Additionally, they have crystal clear accuracy that doesn't muddy any minor details (I have a few scenes that I use to test detail reproduction, and the Platinums have beat every other speaker I've owned in this regard).  Add to that the fact that they have an amazing output capability (not that I'll use it all), and they are--to me--the perfect home theater speaker.

So that's the long answer to what I was looking for in a Home Thater speaker (I threw in requirements for a music speaker on the house) lol.

how are you liking your new Focus SE's?  those new AMT's rock, don't they?  I originally sold my Focus SE's w/ the AMT's to get me a set of Aeris speakers, but got sidetracked when I started pondering on a set of Triad Platinums.  Time to get back on track!

post #25 of 69 Old 02-07-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think there is any problem with the POWER of the Bryston 3BSST2 amplifier, as it has 250 watts at 4 ohms. That should drive any speaker.

On the other hand, I recently replaced mine with the Musical Fidelity M6PRX, and it sounds significantly better than the Bryston with my Vandersteen speakers (which have very low sensitivity).

It is a really great-sounding amplifier, for only $3500, and it also puts out over 400 watts at 4 ohms. I recommend it highly. The sound quality is on a par with amps that cost twice as much, such as Mark Levinson and Audio Research.

Quote:

post #26 of 69 Old 02-07-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Behringer amps are public-address system amplifiers. They might be OK for an outdoor concert of a rock band, where quite a lot of distortion is acceptable, but that is hardly a high-fidelity situation.

IMO anyone who tries to use them in a high-fidelity system will not be pleased; they will sound pretty crappy. From a hi-fi system perspective, they are cheap Class D junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegadede View Post

Why not use a pro amp, like behringer ep4000 (about 1000W per channel on 4ohm, or 2000w in bridge mode, 4ohm)? It will cost you less than $400 each + the cost of changing the stock fan for a silent one.
post #27 of 69 Old 02-07-2014, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Greetings. Imaging and output at reference levels are important to me for movies, while delicacy and depth are more important to me for music.  I'm learning that the only way to truly have the best of both worlds is to actually have both worlds. lol--so I'm building a Legacy Aeris (Music Juggernaut) based two channel system, while utilizing the Triad Platinum (Home Theater Juggernauts) for the dedicated theater.  The Legacy AMT's convey depth in ways I've never heard.  If you put your ear right to the AMT array, you can hear the layers of depth right there.  from the sweet spot, with a female vocal or a choir/quartet, etc. it's just sublime.  Music listening perfection, in my book.  For Home Theater, the Triad Platinums do not image like that up close becasue they're made to fill large rooms.  When seated a bit further back, the Platinums imaging snaps into a crazy focus where you can envision a wall of sound.  Additionally, they have crystal clear accuracy that doesn't muddy any minor details (I have a few scenes that I use to test detail reproduction, and the Platinums have beat every other speaker I've owned in this regard).  Add to that the fact that they have an amazing output capability (not that I'll use it all), and they are--to me--the perfect home theater speaker.

So that's the long answer to what I was looking for in a Home Thater speaker (I threw in requirements for a music speaker on the house) lol.

how are you liking your new Focus SE's?  those new AMT's rock, don't they?  I originally sold my Focus SE's w/ the AMT's to get me a set of Aeris speakers, but got sidetracked when I started pondering on a set of Triad Platinums.  Time to get back on track!

Beast,
As I had posted earlier, I had the previous Legacy Focus SE model. Really liked them but became enamored with HT type speakers after going to the local GTG here at Gorilla83's place. So I sold the old Legacy's and got the Seaton L/C/R setup... 12's and center 8. After a few months I realized my heart was mostly in 2 channel and there is no way I could afford both. So yes.... lovin the new AMT SE's bigtime.

I don't think anyone has been able to make a one fit's all speaker in MY opinion. I am not a fan of the compression driver sound. You seem to agree. I do hear the Triads sound awesome but pretty expensive. I heard the Danleys in Jan... pretty incredible but then again, you cannot beat the Legacy for their ability to sound so incredibly live. Some have described it as sterile or lack of something or other. I think some people like a speaker that adds to the source. I do not.

Love to hear your system sometime. You aren't that far and I know of a few HT heads around here that would love to crash your theater.

Mike

See My System Here

post #28 of 69 Old 05-29-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I had the Focus SE and used Bryston 7BSST/2. The amps barley got warm. I have now upgraded to the Aeris. Still using the Bryston 7BSST/2. Interesting they get a little warm with the Aeris. Might be because I'm able to play the Aeris louder.

post #29 of 69 Old 05-29-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Behringer amps are public-address system amplifiers. They might be OK for an outdoor concert of a rock band, where quite a lot of distortion is acceptable, but that is hardly a high-fidelity situation.
What's your definition of "high distortion"? Here are the measurements for an EP2500:

I wouldn't call 0.2% distortion at 20 kHz "quite a lot of distortion". Tube amps that some high end audiophiles think are are wonderful do worse than that.
post #30 of 69 Old 07-26-2014, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Looks like this might be finally coming to fruition. On track right now to purchase these black pearl beauties.
Legacy Focus SE... price lowered
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Tags
Legacy Audio Focus Se

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page