Ripping Some Fantastic Classical/Jazz Rarities - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-18-2013, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got about 20 vinyl records with some really exceptional music (classical and jazz) never released in digital. They're all in excellent condition. These are wonderful rarities, including the first vinyl recording ever released from a digitally recorded session.

I could rip them myself, but I only have a decent Denon turntable, and no fancy A/D converter or anything. And I want to get every bit of sonic goodness out of these records. So I've assumed I have two options:

1. Buy a Nakamichi Dragon on eBay (and an equally good A/D converter), get it done, and then sell the equipment back on eBay again, or

2. Hire someone who already has all that equipment to do it for me (and since this is, again, some extremely good and rare music, I'd imagine there are lots of people who'd love to be part of this).

Problem is I've never found anyone to go with #2. So should I go with #1, or can anyone suggest a really high quality service?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-19-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Are you shure these records were never released on cd? check out

Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Music-/11233/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=jazz&LH_PrefLoc=2

Discogs:
http://www.discogs.com/search?q=jazz&type=all

You could try a compact disc recorder. Just connect turntable and rip those LPs smile.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phillips-CDR870-CD-Recorder-Player-MINTY-/251319552916?pt=US_CD_Players_Recorders&hash=item3a83d00b94
post #3 of 7 Old 08-19-2013, 06:53 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Since you are willing to buy equipment to do this, I'd recommend you find a used CD recorder. Just be aware that some of them are fussy about the media they handle. I have a Teac unit that I used to rip my vinyl and it requires CD-r's that are hard to find.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-19-2013, 09:49 AM

What about a USB turntable?
post #5 of 7 Old 08-19-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
1. Buy a Nakamichi Dragon on eBay (and an equally good A/D converter), get it done, and then sell the equipment back on eBay again
Isn't that a cassette deck? What do you need that for?

You've already got a turntable, and presumably a computer, which most likely has a sound card, which in turn may well be good enough to digitize records. I'd start with what you have, and see how good a job you can do.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #6 of 7 Old 08-19-2013, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I use a JVC XL-R5000 CDR. I have been recording my punk 7" onto CD's. A lot of my stuff has never been released on any other media. However, once i'm done with those, I figured that I would record the rest of my LP's that I never purchased as CD's or MP3's, etc...

It records the crackles and pops, just like the record plays. I like that, it still feels/sounds analog, but has been digitized, as it were.

I hooked up a cassette deck to my Mac to record those, but they took up too much space, so I will probably record the last of my tapes via the CDR, once i'm done with my record collection.

It's just something fun to do, that serves an end goal too.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-20-2013, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, all.

I don't want to fool around with half-assed rips, failing to extract all the sonic goodness and needing to one day repeat. I want it done right. So I decided to outsource. I surfed around some and found this guy. Serious audio guy, has tons of good equipment, including studio-quality A/D converter. Is flexible enough to just send me the raw sound files (I can cut them and click remove myself). Price is good - $10 per record for the basic treatment..Clearly seems to be a real human being, not just some impersonal service bulk transferring people's crappy scratchy vinyl.

I'll report back with results.
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page