Polk TSi300 or RTi8s? And what integrated amp/receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-22-2013, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to purchase a 2-channel stereo system for listening to (classical) music in the sub-$700 range. I've found that I can get a pair of new Polk TSi300s or the discontinued Polk RTi8s for about the same price; and these seem like the best speaker options in my price range. (I'm less inclined toward bookshelves because I can't get a subwoofer--my lease forbids it.) I'm wondering which would serve me better, since I'm not able to test either of them.

For the receiver/integrated amp I'm thinking of a NAD C316 BEE, a Yamaha AS500, a Marantz PM5004, an Onkyo TX-8050 or maybe even an Onkyo A-9555 (though frankly the power output on the TX-8050 and the A-9555 look close enough that I'm not sure the A-9555 would be worth it.) The source for the speakers would be my computer, which doesn't have an outboard DAC at the moment, but I will eventually get one.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! JM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
In my opinion, I would get the RTI 8s, I have a pair of RTI 10s and RTI 4s, and they both sound unreal. The RTI series is very good. As for the receiver, the NAD would be probably the best choice as its considered top end as oppose to onkyo and yamaha. I personally have a Pioneer VSX 823k pushing 80 watts rms per channel and in stereo mode classical music sounds great. What type of bitrate audio files do you listen to? ex/ 320kbps, 1411kbps ( CD quality ). As for this case, I would try to run analog RCA cables from a sound card. Good luck!
Old 08-23-2013, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. I listen either to Apple lossless or 256 kbps AAC files (from the iTunes store). After doing some reading I'm actually leaning toward the Onkyo A-9555 (for example: http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/907onk).

JM.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 258
I would suggest that you go with the NAD amplifier.

IMO it will give you better sound quality than the others, although the Marantz is also fairly good.

The current Onkyo, Pioneer, and Yamaha amplifiers sound pretty crappy to me.

The differences in the manufacturers' power ratings of those units are not significant; the differences in sound quality are!

You can get a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers for $349, and they will sound MUCH MUCH better than the Polk speakers you mentioned. The bass from those cheap Polk floor speakers is

mushy and poor-sounding; just a bunch of thumps.

Do some research and read some reviews and you will see that they are rated excellent for their price by experienced reviewers.

The only cheap (under $600) floor-standing speakers I would recommend are the Pioneer FS52; they are fairly good, especially for their price.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I would suggest that you go with the NAD amplifier.

IMO it will give you better sound quality than the others, although the Marantz is also fairly good.

The current Onkyo, Pioneer, and Yamaha amplifiers sound pretty crappy to me.

The differences in the manufacturers' power ratings of those units are not significant; the differences in sound quality are!

You can get a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers for $349, and they will sound MUCH MUCH better than the Polk speakers you mentioned. The bass from those cheap Polk floor speakers is

mushy and poor-sounding; just a bunch of thumps.

Do some research and read some reviews and you will see that they are rated excellent for their price by experienced reviewers.

The only cheap (under $600) floor-standing speakers I would recommend are the Pioneer FS52; they are fairly good, especially for their price.

Disregard this advice. He's never done a proper listening test. Those amps would be fine. NAD is nice but overpriced for what you get, and they often lack useful features that modern equipment has. I say that as an owner of some NAD gear.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm72 View Post

Thanks for your response. I listen either to Apple lossless or 256 kbps AAC files (from the iTunes store). After doing some reading I'm actually leaning toward the Onkyo A-9555 (for example: http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/907onk).

I can recommend against this choice for cause:

This amp's response varies over a 4 db range @ 15 Khz with a nominal range of load impedances. Normally this variation is less than 0.5 dB. If your hearing is good, you may well notice this. You basically roll the dice on high treble sound quality as you hook up different speakers.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. But a couple days ago I bought the Polk RTi 8's and the Onkyo A-9555. The deal I had on the Polks felt like a pretty good opportunity. I hope the Onkyo A-9555 works out for me but I will have a chance to return if it turns out to be unsuitable. The equipment is supposed to arrive tomorrow so I'll keep my fingers crossed until then.

Thanks again for all your input!

JM.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I used to own the RTi 8s and they are easy to drive. Though I am not an Onyko fan, it should do just fine for you.
I did have a subwoofer hooked up with them, but it should sound pretty good without and you could always add one later.