Active studio monitors in a home 2 channel system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-22-2013, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rntlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have an opportunity to buy a pair of jbl lsr6328p monitors for $1000...would be difficult to incorporate them into a home setup?
rntlee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 08-22-2013, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
stevensctt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,360
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Nice speakers, accurate near field monitors. If this is what you are after,, no issues in a 2CH home system
stevensctt is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 08-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Member
 
Wayne Highwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rntlee View Post

I have an opportunity to buy a pair of jbl lsr6328p monitors for $1000...would be difficult to incorporate them into a home setup?

They're probably easier to incorporate into your listening room than many speakers, actually. I would be more concerned with having appropriately dynamic and capable subwoofage.

Great price, assuming they're new/minty.
Wayne Highwood is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 08-23-2013, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rntlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I don't have a source with xlr outs...is it alright if I were to use xlr to rca adapters for these speakers? I think I'll buy them anyway, even if I don't use them I don't think theres any risk involved at that price. They're used but in mint condition.
rntlee is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 08-23-2013, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
stevensctt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,360
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rntlee View Post

I don't have a source with xlr outs...is it alright if I were to use xlr to rca adapters for these speakers? I think I'll buy them anyway, even if I don't use them I don't think theres any risk involved at that price. They're used but in mint condition.

I've used XLR to RCA adapters, they're fine. Good buy on the speakers.
stevensctt is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 08-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Newbie
 
Xyrium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very nice indeed. The 6000 series are sweet. Just remember, if you're distance is greater than the average nearfield, your soundstage and HF may begin to diminish. I have only heard these within 5 ft of my ears, but I believe they come with room correction software that may include a distance setting.

Shame you can't find a preamp to use the differential inputs. HOwever, by cutting one of the diff legs you can still use RCAs (2 conductors instead of 3).

That's an amazing price, especially if new.
Xyrium is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 08-26-2013, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rntlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyrium View Post

Very nice indeed. The 6000 series are sweet. Just remember, if you're distance is greater than the average nearfield, your soundstage and HF may begin to diminish. I have only heard these within 5 ft of my ears, but I believe they come with room correction software that may include a distance setting.

Shame you can't find a preamp to use the differential inputs. HOwever, by cutting one of the diff legs you can still use RCAs (2 conductors instead of 3).

That's an amazing price, especially if new.

I have them working right now with 1/4"---->rca adapters. The jbl's have an xlr connection that is also 1/4" compatible. They make for one sweet sounding 2 channel setup. I'm going to buy the room correction kit but according to the manual there a setting to boost hf for flat rooms...just need some time to play with the settings on the back. These things will rock...and super clean at high spl. Was going to look for the matching sub, but after playing with them not sure if i really need it.
rntlee is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 08-27-2013, 07:34 AM
Member
 
Wayne Highwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rntlee View Post

These things will rock...and super clean at high spl. Was going to look for the matching sub, but after playing with them not sure if i really need it.
Yeah, baby! Respect the dynamic range of the music! Too many domestic type speakers fail in that regard. Glad you're liking them.
Wayne Highwood is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 08-28-2013, 05:49 PM
Newbie
 
Currawong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: An Australian living in Fukuoka, Japan.
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Most active speakers seem to be for pro audio use, since they can plug them straight into a mixing console, but given the quality of the mostly Class A/B amps in them they can be quite good in my experience. I don't listen loud though, ie: I'm not trying to re-create a concert hall in my living room, so any lack of dynamics at louder volumes doesn't bother me. I also don't use a sub.


Currawong on Head-Fi.org.
Currawong is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 08-28-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rntlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
No lack of dynamics in these ones...they're bi-amped with 250w for the LF section and 125w for the HF section.
rntlee is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 08-28-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,211
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by rntlee View Post

No lack of dynamics in these ones...they're bi-amped with 250w for the LF section and 125w for the HF section.

Spec sheet says: Maximum SPL (80 Hz - 20 kHz) : >108 dB SPL / 1m

A pair will do reference level at typical listening distances.
arnyk is online now  
post #12 of 12 Old 08-31-2013, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rntlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well, these are definitely keepers and are now replacing my Paradigm monitor 7's and sub combo in my 2 channel setup. The Paradigms sounded pretty good to with a sub for reinforcement, but these JBL's outclass them by a good margin...and that's without a sub! Highly recommend these if you can snag a pair for the right money.
rntlee is offline  
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off