Is there such a thing as a best optimum 2 channel speakers for lowest price and best sound? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-25-2013, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sorry let me explain:

I am a sound fanatic, love detailed accurate sound from the entire sound spectrum. But I've never had the chance to audition different speakers etc as we still live on trees in some parts of the world here ...

I think audio nirvana for me would be achieved from headphones for a fraction of the cost of loudspeakers ... or am I wrong?

I currently listen to 2 channel audio with a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 that cost me $500US ... I think firstly the treble is pretty crap, it doesn't even sound right (low on quality as well as quantity). Then the midrange is pretty cluttered, is that called poor sound separation?

So what do I stand to gain from say buying a pair of Paradigm Studio 3 way speakers (I say paradigm because I was looking for a decent centre speaker and the CC range looked and spec'd the part of a perfect centre speaker) for $2000 compared with some weird boutique say Usher Dancer Mini 2? Whatbout lower down the range as in the Monitors, or higher up like the SIgnatures? Or other brands?

And what do I lose by not buying a say $10,000 Sonus Faber Cremona M?

Please be objective and not just say the expensive one is better because it is made better etc - yes I hope it has much more expensive parts! but does it make the sound for someone like me?

Please avoid discussion about room acoustics and amping/interconnects and just concentrate on what speakers should I be aiming for in the future when I can upgrade (and no I can't afford $10,000 speakers, $2,000 is ok)

Thanks for helping

All things in moderation, including moderation itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-26-2013, 09:36 AM

Liked: 35
Very complex topic you're digging into. I would suggest the series of articles at Audioholics regarding what goes into a high quality loudspeaker. The articles are down to earth, not audiophile mumbo jumbo.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-26-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker97 View Post

Sorry let me explain:

I am a sound fanatic, love detailed accurate sound from the entire sound spectrum. But I've never had the chance to audition different speakers etc as we still live on trees in some parts of the world here ...

I think audio nirvana for me would be achieved from headphones for a fraction of the cost of loudspeakers ... or am I wrong?

If you can adapt yourself to headphone listening, then that is the means for obtaining best quality sound with minimal costs. Even if you can adapt yourself to headphones, they seem to lose comfort after a number of hours of listening.

Quote:
I currently listen to 2 channel audio with a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 that cost me $500US ... I think firstly the treble is pretty crap, it doesn't even sound right (low on quality as well as quantity). Then the midrange is pretty cluttered, is that called poor sound separation?

I call that poor spectral balance, which may be due to the environment that you are using the speakers in. Also, these are not what I'd call truely full range speakers. Adding a subwoofer is indicated.
Quote:
So what do I stand to gain from say buying a pair of Paradigm Studio 3 way speakers (I say paradigm because I was looking for a decent centre speaker and the CC range looked and spec'd the part of a perfect centre speaker) for $2000 compared with some weird boutique say Usher Dancer Mini 2? Whatbout lower down the range as in the Monitors, or higher up like the SIgnatures? Or other brands?

I'd look at a subwoofer and room treatments first.
Quote:
And what do I lose by not buying a say $10,000 Sonus Faber Cremona M?

Really nicely made cabinets.
Quote:
Please avoid discussion about room acoustics and amping/interconnects and just concentrate on what speakers should I be aiming for in the future when I can upgrade (and no I can't afford $10,000 speakers, $2,000 is ok)

Because I like you I'm going to completely dishonor your request about room acoustics. In fact your room may have more to do with what your audio system sounds like than just about anything else. Or would you prefer that I not tell you the truth? ;-)
post #4 of 7 Old 08-26-2013, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Highwood View Post

Very complex topic you're digging into. I would suggest the series of articles at Audioholics regarding what goes into a high quality loudspeaker. The articles are down to earth, not audiophile mumbo jumbo.

that was awesome thanks - will read it wheni get a chance!

post #5 of 7 Old 08-26-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

If you can adapt yourself to headphone listening, then that is the means for obtaining best quality sound with minimal costs. Even if you can adapt yourself to headphones, they seem to lose comfort after a number of hours of listening.
I call that poor spectral balance, which may be due to the environment that you are using the speakers in. Also, these are not what I'd call truely full range speakers. Adding a subwoofer is indicated.
I'd look at a subwoofer and room treatments first.
Really nicely made cabinets.
Because I like you I'm going to completely dishonor your request about room acoustics. In fact your room may have more to do with what your audio system sounds like than just about anything else. Or would you prefer that I not tell you the truth? ;-)

i completely agree that room treatment is important!

i'm just wondering in terms of speaker planning, whether getting any of the aforementioned will give me better sound (with proper room treatment that is)? as you can see i am after awesome sound for the least bucks so i'm wondering how much i'm missing out with my wharfedale diamond 9.6

i use an HSU ULS 15 sub - i've tried crossovers at 60-80Hz (no audible difference) but when i set it at 100Hz the boominess of the wharfedale bass is gone and i get creamy smooth bass. which is probably what started this topic as the midrange and treble is now beaten and sounds so distinctly 'wrong'.

post #6 of 7 Old 08-26-2013, 02:16 PM

Liked: 10
A few questions first:

What does the rest of your system consist of (amp, preamp, source)?

Also, what size is your listening room? How far is your listening position from the speakers, and how far apart can you r listening space afford the speakers to be?

What type of music do you listen to? How loud do you tend ot listen (perhaps use a cheap RS SPL meter for a quick reference point)?

I would start by downloading REW and checking out your room acoustics. Perhaps what you are hearing is reasonably flat reproduction of sound, but your ears are more sensitive to md-high frequencies. Most people are sensitive to mids, and the old "BBC Dip" was used to make sound more palatable, especially at high levels.

Regards,
Paul
post #7 of 7 Old 08-26-2013, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Source: FLAC from Laptop - HDMI - Denon AVR789

Room size 17' wide 19' deep 30deg sloping ceiling (higher at back) around 10' high average.

Speakers well away from all walls, spread approx 3.3m apart i sit around 3.3m from the speakers, sometimes 3.6m

Most of the time i listen to complex pop (ie not norah jones, but more like robbie williams, evanescence), i don't do heavy metal or hard rock or classical or jazz or those kinds of things.

in general 75dB but sometimes when i sense there is no one else at home and the neighbours are out up to 90dB

My room has a lot of wallpaper and curtains. is that good or bad?

It is possible that my hearing is not perfect but because i can get so much better sound separation with my headphones i'm pretty sure my speakers are a bit off. but you can't get the awesome bass of say oblivion (m83) on a headphone

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page