Newbie, looking for cheap entry into excellent sound quality - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 32 Old 09-02-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Good deal. Congrats.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 Old 09-05-2013, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PipCount View Post

Hi. I just joined up in order to post, and am fairly ignorant in many aspects of hi-fi stereo equipment, so bear with me.

I'd like some suggestions for starting out. My main objective is to listen to albums (CD), and have it sound awesome.

I currently have a Philips DFR 1500 CD/DVD/Surround Sound Receiver, and some small RCA speakers (a 5.1 set); this was all given to me by a friend, which is awesome, because it does sound better then the computer speakers I was using. However, it doesn't sound that good when listening to music. The subwoofer seems decent, and electronic/rap/stoner metal can sound pretty good. But Jazz, or any rock with higher melody sounds flat/washed out. (In addition, the built in CD player doesn't work, neither does the remote, or the 2 rear channels on the receiver).

I'd like to upgrade.

My speaker budget is $100, so I'm starting by looking for some decent used speakers (thrifting or craigslist), but I have no idea what I should really be looking for. Are there certain brands to look for that are more likely to turn up used?

The stereo is in a room (kitchen/living area) that's about 16'x20', what size speakers are needed to sound good?

Should I also look for a different receiver? All I really want is Left-Right-(sub), and that seems to work on my current receiver. Maybe I could get away with dropping $200 on a receiver and speakers...

Any advice?

Thanks,
Conan
I have
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page