Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraut View Post

"If you are having pops, skips, noise, etc. on vinyl something is wrong"

Yes, the record.
I had brand new records - I have been playing vinyl since 1967, when I bought my first record player - and have yet to encounter a record that is completely noiseless throughout.
Unless the setup is utterly flawed, noise usually is extracted from the record.
And what does that mean?
To me CD or playing from files beats the quality of vinyl most of the time.

I've bought vinyl since the mid 60s (45s) and my first two LPs were 'AYE' and 'Sgt Peppers' bought in '67 (still have 'em.) 'Moonchild', 'I Talk To The Wind' and 'Just Take A Pebble' caused me to buy a used reel to reel, then COTKC and ELP on tape.

A properly set up TT is paramount but I doubt any TT and vinyl issue can play back without surface noise or the occasional pop/tick. For the naysayers, I still own all my 60s and 70s vinyl (the 70s was mostly played once and archived on reel to reel or [egad:eek:] cassette.)

While I still love the nostalgia, tactile feel, ceremony in preparing, playing and stupendous art of 12"ers (and the functionality of gatefold covers - back when;wink.gif ) , I have no illusions, later digital releases are much better to my ear.
CruelInventions likes this.

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 65 Old 09-13-2013, 11:00 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 694
I still have the Sgt Pepper album as well. I still have the Nakamichi cassette recorder and I still listen to it occasionally. The reason is that I always viewed the cassette dubs as being dark sounding thanks to Dolby encoding and not worthy of spending the time to digitize. So some of my music simply isn't available any other way. I think you have a healthy attitude about vinyl records and I agree with it other than the part about wanting to go through the ceremony, smile.gif I've given that up.
post #63 of 65 Old 09-15-2013, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I didn't know this until recently, but the phono preamplifier has a lot to do with the subjective quality of the noise from a record. If the preamp is made with insufficient headroom to handle the occasional pop or click, those noises can really overload the preamp, which can destroy the signal for a number of milliseconds *after* the noise has ceased. This is heard as a really grating noise and is objectionable.

BTW, vacuum tubes with high supply voltages can be made to be pretty much immune from that kind of overload. Maybe that's why there are people who prefer vacuum-tube RIAA preamps for their record playback setups.

Getting a great sound from vinyl is expensive. It's for enthusiasts, really. If you want the best sound for the least money, yes, digital is definitely superior. I'd say a carefully chosen, competently designed $500 digital player will destroy any $500 combination of turntable/tonearm, cartridge and RIAA preamp. I'd say that's a safe bet...

--

Hopelessly addicted to this stuff, but on a strict budget.
Snell Type C speakers
Homebrew DC-coupled, push-pull, 2A3 amp, Intact Audio volume control
RIAA preamp (similar to Arthur Loesch design) - Technics SL1200mk2- Denon DL160
Pioneer Elite PD-D6-J (CD, SACD)
post #64 of 65 Old 09-18-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 250
The $200 Musical Fidelity V-LPS phono preamp is excellent (and a great bargain IMO).

I also have a $3000 Audio Research PH-5 phono preamp that uses tubes, and the V-LPS sounds very nearly as good.

I have never heard it "overload", but if a phono preamp is badly mismatched to a particular cartridge, overload could occur.

A little due diligence and common sense should prevent any overloading.

READ the specs on the cartridge and phono preamp and use your head.
post #65 of 65 Old 09-18-2013, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What specs should people be looking for? How do you figure out if a given cartridge has high enough of an output to possibly overload a given phono stage?
--

Hopelessly addicted to this stuff, but on a strict budget.
Snell Type C speakers
Homebrew DC-coupled, push-pull, 2A3 amp, Intact Audio volume control
RIAA preamp (similar to Arthur Loesch design) - Technics SL1200mk2- Denon DL160
Pioneer Elite PD-D6-J (CD, SACD)
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page