Vinyl ......... are you serious? - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #151 of 154 Old 02-17-2015, 03:41 PM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
I decided to see if I could rip (is that what the kids call it?) a few of my hundreds of vinyl records to digital. I hadn't looked at them in two decades.

Moisture in my basement caused the corners of many covers to go missing. The belt on my turntable had not just deteriorated, but had turned into a gum-like material that I had to scrape off with alcohol before I could install a replacement belt (easily found). Of course there is no longer a "phono" input on anything I own so I bought a brand new highly rated phono preamp. Then I was in business.

The results were mixed. I was surprised that most LP's had a predominantly mid-range sound compared to what I hear today. The surface noise was tolerable to annoying (I also bought an LP cleaner). The best audio came from EP's, 12 inch records at 45 RPM. Many of those had good sound.

The surface noise of many LP's went from tolerable to intolerable as the stylus got closer to the center of the record. This is an unavoidable law of physics.

I discovered I had a rare EP worth about $30. Good thing I left the cellophane on the cover.
I digitized all of my favorite LP's to WAV and it now makes up 10% of my music library which currently stands at 2,107 albums.

When I put my iTunes on "shuffle" the ONLY vinyl that clearly stands out as vinyl is that from over 40 years ago when I was in High School and had a pretty low quality TT and cartridge that did not treat the vinyl kindly and thus created the conditions for audible pops, hiss and the occasional scratch.

The rest were from my college days when I had high quality TT's and cartridges, (Shure V15's, Orotofon Moving Coils etc.).

When those songs come on I cannot tell immediately that they are vinyl in any way shape or form.

In any event, just my 2cents.

BTW, if you have burned your vinyl to digital and also have many Concert DVD's laying about, hook up the analog outputs of your DVD player to your mixer and burn those to audio in stereo; most often the music on a Concert DVD was never released on CD.
Sponsored Links
post #152 of 154 Old 02-17-2015, 04:19 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Steely Dan's Aja and Gaucho are some of the finest recordings on vinyl. Direct to Disc is also a good way to go. Have some Dixieland music on DtoD and it sounds great. The Beatles have some fine recordings as well. Especially if you have the mono versions.

CD does offer the convenience and none of the hassle of vinyl, but for those nights of reliving the 60's and 70's through some 2 channel tubes, I still like to spin. Besides, between flipping, go to the fridge and have another adult beverage. Cheers.

Klipsch so much it Hz
OTA all the way
post #153 of 154 Old 02-18-2015, 12:43 AM
Advanced Member
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 238
I agree....... I have a FIRST PRESSING of Gaucho (MCA RECORDS - Bash label) and HEY NINETEEN is amazingly good!! (Sadly not the Mono version)

Also I have A FIRST PRESSING of WHOS NEXT (The Who) -- Absolutely insane!!!! (DECCA LABEL) - Also not mono.....

Analogue is georgeous!!
post #154 of 154 Old 02-18-2015, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
When those songs come on I cannot tell immediately that they are vinyl in any way shape or form.
I can hear the surface noise of any song that has a quiet intro. These were brand new albums that I played only once to record them to cassette so it was not the result of wear. Many of these were German and Japanese imports.

Listening to entire side of an LP really showed how much the surface noise increases as you reach the center of the disc. As the linear speed decreases, everything gets worse.

This is why there was a market for premium vinyl releases. The best ones in my collection were EP's on virgin (colored) vinyl. The worst ones were used records (no surprise there!) and it sounds like I wasn't too picky about what I bought back then.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
Sponsored Links
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page