How to upgrade the bit rate for my vinyl recordings via pc - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-16-2013, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
fog102690's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an Audio-Technica AT-LP60-USB and I just found out that the usb function is A/D, D/A: 16 bit 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz USB selectable. Does this also mean that I can only record in that bitrate as well? :/ if so could I record through the phono? And what may I get to upgrade the over all quality?
fog102690 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 09-16-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
A9X-308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia; now run by adults.
Posts: 5,163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 42
If the ADC is 44k1 or 48k at 16 bits, that's all you can record with. I believe these have a direct cartridge output, so you could go through a phono pre and use a 24/192 ADC if you liked, but that would cost (potentially much) more than the whole TT package and would not give a tangible improvement as the limit would be your inexpensive TT.
A9X-308 is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 09-17-2013, 01:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 13,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by fog102690 View Post

I have an Audio-Technica AT-LP60-USB and I just found out that the usb function is A/D, D/A: 16 bit 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz USB selectable. Does this also mean that I can only record in that bitrate as well? :/ if so could I record through the phono? And what may I get to upgrade the over all quality?

When people talk bitrate, they are usually talking MP3 or other lossy compressed files.

One relevant factoid is point is that 44/16 corresponds to a bitrate of about 1,411,200 bits per second or 1.411 megabits or 1,411 kilobits (kb) per second.

What file type of audio file is your end result?
arnyk is online now  
post #4 of 9 Old 09-19-2013, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
fog102690's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sorry about that, I am trying to record in a lossless format, possibly in wav. the most that I can expect since i am using a laptop is 96 kb/ 24 bit. i would like advice on what sort of cartridge to get to actually make use out of a higher quality recording and also can i improve the gain of the audio if i got a seperate pre amp instead of using the built in pre amp. I figured I can get a better quality phone preamp. I hope this clarifies things
fog102690 is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 09-19-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mcnarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
sorry about that, I am trying to record in a lossless format, possibly in wav. the most that I can expect since i am using a laptop is 96 kb/ 24 bit. i would like advice on what sort of cartridge to get to actually make use out of a higher quality recording and also can i improve the gain of the audio if i got a seperate pre amp instead of using the built in pre amp. I figured I can get a better quality phone preamp. I hope this clarifies things
Slow down there, cowboy. You're thinking about this all wrong. First of all, you have a low-end turntable, so don't expect high-end results. Second, the cartridge on your table cannot be upgraded. To get a better cart, you'll first have to get a better table. Third, there is no point in upgrading a phono preamp on a table like this. Upgrade the table first. Fourth, no matter how good your vinyl rig is, 24/96 is gross overkill for transcribing it. 16/44.1 is more than enough resolution for any vinyl out there.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

mcnarus is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 09-19-2013, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
fog102690's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info smile.gif well, I am just starting in the vinyl scene so best to break in my training wheels for a while. Later in the future if I choose to upgrade just for mere enjoyment of improving over all listening. If I get the AT-LP120, can the cartridge be upgraded?
fog102690 is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 09-19-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 13,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by fog102690 View Post

Thanks for the info smile.gif well, I am just starting in the vinyl scene so best to break in my training wheels for a while. Later in the future if I choose to upgrade just for mere enjoyment of improving over all listening. If I get the AT-LP120, can the cartridge be upgraded?

I've got my doubts. The user manual

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/resource_library/literature/a05291e9006d951e/at_lp60_usb_om_p52119_02.pdf

specs (page 8) say that it uses an "Integral" mount, which appears to be proprietary and conforms to neither P-mount nor screw mount standards.

I think you are asking a lot of a $120 turntable!
arnyk is online now  
post #8 of 9 Old 09-19-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mcnarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
If I get the AT-LP120, can the cartridge be upgraded?
Yes, although the cartridge that comes with it is much better than the one on the AT60.
Quote:
I've got my doubts. The user manual

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/resource_library/literature/a05291e9006d951e/at_lp60_usb_om_p52119_02.pdf

specs (page 8) say that it uses an "Integral" mount, which appears to be proprietary and conforms to neither P-mount nor screw mount standards.

I think you are asking a lot of a $120 turntable!
You're reading the wrong manual, Arny. He's got the AT60, but he was asking about the AT120.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

mcnarus is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 09-19-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 13,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

Quote:
If I get the AT-LP120, can the cartridge be upgraded?
Yes, although the cartridge that comes with it is much better than the one on the AT60.
Quote:
I've got my doubts. The user manual

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/resource_library/literature/a05291e9006d951e/at_lp60_usb_om_p52119_02.pdf

specs (page 8) say that it uses an "Integral" mount, which appears to be proprietary and conforms to neither P-mount nor screw mount standards.

I think you are asking a lot of a $120 turntable!
You're reading the wrong manual, Arny. He's got the AT60, but he was asking about the AT120.

Thanks for the correction.

The correct manual for the upgrade model is

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/resource_library/literature/944517aac30a07c5/p52120_01_at_lp120_usb_om.pdf

and it clearly shows a traditional screw mount/removable headshell cartridge mounting system. It may or may not work well with cartridges whose weight is significantly different from the ones provided, but probably will work well with many of them.
arnyk is online now  
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off