Looking to replace a peachtree audio decco 65 (unhappy with the sound). - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-21-2013, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up a peachtree decco 65 a few months ago for use on my desk along with a pair of paradigm mini monitors. Unfortunately the sound of the peachtree just isn't for me, i'm far too used to the sound of my Dynaudio Audience 52 SE's paired with pioneer SC-65. Does anyone know of any desktop sized amplifiers (USB is preferred but I can use an additional usb sound card if necessary) that will produce a sound more similar to the SC-65? The SC-65 is way too large for my desk. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-21-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Did you use bass management with your Pioneer receiver? That would probably be the main reason for the difference in sound quality

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #3 of 11 Old 09-21-2013, 04:49 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 764
That and room calibration would be the only reasons.
post #4 of 11 Old 09-21-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 847
or the speakers.

post #5 of 11 Old 09-21-2013, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies. I do not use bass management on the pioneer. I'm not technical enough to describe the sound difference very well but they both produce distinctly different sounds. The peachtree sounds extremely flat, almost muffled in comparison to the pioneer. It just sounds bad to me.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-21-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

or the speakers.

Yup. The poster never mentioned swapping out the amps with the Paradigms, just two different set ups

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

post #7 of 11 Old 09-21-2013, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by touser View Post

Thanks for the replies. I do not use bass management on the pioneer. I'm not technical enough to describe the sound difference very well but they both produce distinctly different sounds. The peachtree sounds extremely flat, almost muffled in comparison to the pioneer. It just sounds bad to me.

Why is this not a result of the speakers? Or are the speakers identical somehow? How about the placement of the speakers? The room?

post #8 of 11 Old 09-22-2013, 07:05 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 764
I assumed he tested to amps in the same system. If they are different systems then the issue is settled. For the OP. If you play the receiver in pure direct it will sound exactly the same as the integrated amp does in the same system. A calibrated receiver will sound different and a different system........well enough said.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-22-2013, 09:06 AM

Liked: 34
If you didn't use any tone controls, bass management or room correction w/ the Pioneer, then there is NO reason why the Peachtree should sound any different from the Pioneer unless something is wrong with it. Usually, however, a problem w/ a component is generally SO apparent that there would be no question about this. ..Like it won't turn on, or tons of hum, horribly garbled sound, one channel completely out, ...that sort of thing. ..So if you're not hearing something as obvious as this, then it unlikely there is a problem w/ the Peachtree..

Is it possible you have the speakers wired out of phase? ..I'd recheck your wiring first and foremost. If not that, then the next most likely culprit is something called expectation-bias, and that problem originates not from the component, but rather in our own minds smile.gif ..Is it possible you read an unfavorable review or forum post regarding the Peachtree that has given you a bit of buyer's remorse?
post #10 of 11 Old 09-26-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I suggest that you look at the Rega Brio R amplifier.

IMO it will sound much better than the amplifier you have, and it is quite compact in size.

Of course the Dynaudio speakers are always going to sound 1000% better than the baby Paradigm speakers, which I do not care for.

Actually, you could just get a pair of Audioengine A2 powered speakers for $200.

I guarantee that they will sound very nice.

I use them with my computer, and the sound is quite good.

They don't sound as good as my $25K system with Vandersteen Treo speakers, but then I have heard few systems that even come close to it (at ANY price).
post #11 of 11 Old 09-27-2013, 04:15 PM

Liked: 16
Quick question. Why was it that the OP thought the sound difference was due to the amp and not the speakers?
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page