How to feed a digital signal from my network server to a Proceed AVP2 preamp ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-15-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm looking for suggestions on what kind of devices I can use to feed digital signals to my Proceed AVP2 (Audio Video Preamp) located in a different part of my house from my server where digital music, movies, and recorded TV is stored. Ability to play Internet radio and/or Pandora is also desirable.

I have a wired gigabit network setup to all locations. I do have at least 2 maybe 4 locations where I want to distribute digital content from the server.

I also currently have a few OpenELEC HTPCs (runs XBMC) that talk to the server and can play LiveTV, recorded TV, movies and music. This htpc has a S/PDIF optical-out that I can feed to the input of Proceed AVP2, but wondered if a USB soundcard and a S/PDIF coax-out would be a better option for music input to the AVP, and I can still use the OpenELEC interface to select content.

Question is what usb soundcard (asynchronous?) and maybe a separate power supply for this usb soundcard?

I'd also want this usb soundcard to have an auto-input mode that auto-selects a pass-thru output of either 16bit 44.1kHz for music and 48kHz for DD5.1 and DTS 5.1 movies.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-18-2013, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Anybody used a Musical Fidelity Vlink II or Vlink 192 USB to SPDIF converter ?

Not sure I'll be able to tell the difference between a Vlink USB to SPDIF converter and the SPDIF optical/coax out from the PC's motherboard, but I guess I could try it and see for myself.

Anybody else tried this scenario with the Musical Fidelity or any other brand of USB to SPDIf converters and care to comment ?
post #3 of 3 Old 10-18-2013, 01:51 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Please post whatever it is you decided to do. I have three audio systems in my home and only two now discontinued Logitech Squeezeboxes. I'd sure like to get the third one take care of. I have to play CD's on it and I'd rather not have the hassle. It appears streaming today means internet with no thought of handling a local area network as a source.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page