No debate, hopefully advice. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 11-04-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17

My system: Peachtree Nova Pre/ 220. Oppo BDP 103. Salk SongTowers (Waiting for completion)

My question, but not to create any hot debate over speaker cables. With the cash I spent on my system (A lot for me), I need decent cables. I have good USB, Toslink and Coaxial, but I need some for my SongTowers. I realize it's a VERY hot debate, and it's system dependent. However, I only want to spend $200-$400 on biwired cables. I'm sure the pairs I've been looking at are compatible as the prices are all so close. This is what I'm considering (in no particular order):

1. DH Labs Q10 IBW

2. Kimber PR, or VS.IBW

3. AQ Rocket 44

4  Signal Cable

5  Clear Day

6. Of course Bluejean Carne

7. Van den Hul

I've been looking at the used cable co, audiogone and ebay. I'm leaning towards the Kimber 8VS/4VS IBW becasue they are reasonable and....well......they look nice. I'm thinking they will be good and the differences between any of the above will NOT be night and day. 

Am I crazy? Maybe I should just get the Bluejeans and forget about it. However, if I get one little whisker of better SQ from spending $150 more, then it's worth it. Does anyone here have positive experience with these cables? I've spent close to four grand, so if I spend $400, then that's not way off base, right?

Again, this is NOT to start a boring cable debate, but more to help a beginner with a little direction and maybe some affirmation. 

Thanks everyone. I hope my experience with the audiophile community stays positive! So far, it's far more polite than anything else I've been involved with online. I want to keep it that way :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-04-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I should mention my preference is 2 channel music. Jazz, classical, bluegrass, funk, jam and acoustic music. Throw in an occasional electronic STS9, Bassnectar, Pretty Lights, etc. from time to time......late night. ;)

Thanks again. 

post #3 of 19 Old 11-04-2013, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 799
smiley2eatingpopcorn.gif
Transmaniacon likes this.

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

post #4 of 19 Old 11-04-2013, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

:eek:

post #5 of 19 Old 11-04-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Ok............this has been discussed ad nauseam. Google the query or read some opinions on this (one of countless) threads discussing it: http://www.avsforum.com/t/424550/expensive-speaker-wire-vs-lamp-cord.

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

post #6 of 19 Old 11-04-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Again, this is NOT to start a boring cable debate, but more to help a beginner with a little direction and maybe some affirmation.
Fine, I'll take you at your word here. Unless you buy something really, really dumb, a cable will have no effect on sound quality whatsoever. They are not system dependent, beyond some real basic stuff, like making sure the cables are thick enough to avoid resistance losses. Cable that's thick enough can be bought at Home Depot.

While we're at it, biwired cables serve no purpose except to double the profits of cable sellers. Don't fall for that one, either.
XStanleyX and Transmaniacon like this.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #7 of 19 Old 11-04-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 790
I don't give a rats rearend if you have millions invested in your system, there is no good reason not to use regular commodity cables commonly found at big box home improvement stores, monoprice, amazon, radio shack etc. If looks are a priority buy whatever you think is pretty, sexy or cool to your eyeballs, but your ears won't care what they look like.
XStanleyX and Transmaniacon like this.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Why you wouldn't want to join
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum
post #8 of 19 Old 11-04-2013, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
If you are just looking for thick and nice looking cables, it's trivial and extremely cheap to make your own: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1301573/have-a-look-at-these-beauties-how-to-make-your-own-high-end-cables. Depending on the length/plugs/spades you use, you are probably looking at about $2-$5 per cable. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to learn that some "high end" cable vendors are using the exact same materials from the exact same vendors as what's described in that thread.

Edit:

It just occurred to me that, for the amount you are willing to spend on cables, you could call Jim and get your SongTowers upgraded to the RAAL tweeter. That would have a much more noticeable effect than buying the most expensive cables in the world.
CruelInventions and kma100 like this.
post #9 of 19 Old 11-04-2013, 08:28 PM

Liked: 10
coat hangers work pretty well....At least in a double blind test. But seriously, oxygen free copper is oxygen free copper. Cut into some of those expensive super thick cables and most are just 12 awg with a lot of thick rubber shielding. If you want something that looks nice, make up your own. Get some wire from bluejean cable, or monoprice, some boots for the ends, your choice of connectors, and some techflex from parts express and make your own. Your connecting them to a solid brass binding post, so any "magic" in the cable would be negated. And in 99.999% of systems you don't need to worry about inducing noise into the speaker wire. Spend your extra money on music and enjoy!
post #10 of 19 Old 11-05-2013, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcentola View Post

… Am I crazy? Maybe I should just get the Bluejeans and forget about it. However, if I get one little whisker of better SQ from spending $150 more, then it's worth it. Does anyone here have positive experience with these cables? I've spent close to four grand, so if I spend $400, then that's not way off base, right?

First of all, congrats on the new SongTowers! I saw your post on audiocircles and I like the curly walnut. They will look significantly better than the photos when you see them first hand.

I've had my STs for 6 years now and still love them. I completely understand what you are experiencing now while waiting for them, and believe you should try to keep calm, get some 12 gauge zip cord, and avoid thinking further about speaker cables. There really isn't a significant debate about speaker cables because there isn't any credible evidence that bi-wires or other variations of exotic cables make an audible difference. Besides, unless you paid extra for the bi-wire capable binding posts, the standard binding posts that come with SongTowers won't allow doing that eek.gif.

If it helps, I personally know the designer of the SongTowers, and he never uses bi-wiring or bi-amping in his home or while designing speakers. Before he retired, he worked for the Federal Trade Commission and was once asked why the FTC didn't pursue exotic speaker cable makers for false advertizing. His answer was "We don't go there, and you shouldn't either". biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Words to remember.
post #11 of 19 Old 11-05-2013, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, thanks! Yeah, they will have the bi-wire option, so that's what I'm going to do. I had a pair of B&W's years ago and I noticed a very slight improvement, so it was enough for me.

Yeah, one can get lost in all of this, but it's fun. I'm over the top excited for my ST's. Thanks for affirming my veneer. I was second guessing this as having to many options makes it hard sometimes! 

Jim said to just get Bluejean and I think that's what I'll do. However, davescables looks interesting and they are pretty cheap. After my experience with Jim Salk, I like the idea of helping out an independent manufacturer. For the life of me, I can't figure out why one would pay 20K on speaker cables, but to each his own.

The best analogy I heard was about Rolex watches. Hey, they don't tell time any better than a Timex, but pride of ownership means something and having a fancy watch is important to some people. To each his own.

Thanks my fellow SongTower owner!

post #12 of 19 Old 11-28-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I got a deal on some Kimber 8PR/4PR's. Yeah, I spent a bit more than BJC, but they look great. They we're only 75 buck more, so I went for the pretty pair. What the hell....

Still waiting in the SongTowers, but shouldn't be too much longer. My house is going to sound amazing.

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

Happy Thanksgiving!

post #13 of 19 Old 11-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Nice!...kimber makes great cables...great cables makes great music!
Its nice to see you did not go the coat hanger route and I'm sure you are going to enjoy them.
post #14 of 19 Old 11-29-2013, 05:02 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 710
At least he made Kimber and some dealer happy.
post #15 of 19 Old 11-29-2013, 06:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcentola View Post

My system: Peachtree Nova Pre/ 220. Oppo BDP 103. Salk SongTowers (Waiting for completion)

My question, but not to create any hot debate over speaker cables. With the cash I spent on my system (A lot for me), I need decent cables. I have good USB, Toslink and Coaxial, but I need some for my SongTowers. I realize it's a VERY hot debate, and it's system dependent. However, I only want to spend $200-$400 on biwired cables. I'm sure the pairs I've been looking at are compatible as the prices are all so close. This is what I'm considering (in no particular order):

1. DH Labs Q10 IBW
2. Kimber PR, or VS.IBW
3. AQ Rocket 44
4  Signal Cable
5  Clear Day
6. Of course Bluejean Carne
7. Van den Hul

I've been looking at the used cable co, audiogone and ebay. I'm leaning towards the Kimber 8VS/4VS IBW becasue they are reasonable and....well......they look nice. I'm thinking they will be good and the differences between any of the above will NOT be night and day. 

Am I crazy?

Since your criteria for judging seems to be appearance not sound quality, you are in a way asking people to judge a cable beauty contest.

That is where the most signifcant differences among high end cables lay, so there is a kind a rationality to your request.

Regrettably there is some truth to the old adage that "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder", so you may do better making your own choice.
Quote:
Maybe I should just get the Bluejeans and forget about it. However, if I get one little whisker of better SQ from spending $150 more, then it's worth it.

No danger of that!
Quote:
Does anyone here have positive experience with these cables? I've spent close to four grand, so if I spend $400, then that's not way off base, right?

$400 for speaker cables?

Off base?

Well, if playing in the audio jewelry market is your goal, maybe not...
Quote:
Again, this is NOT to start a boring cable debate,

Interesting approach - affirming politeness while discriminating against all opinions that don't agree with yours.
Quote:
but more to help a beginner with a little direction and maybe some affirmation. 

Thanks everyone. I hope my experience with the audiophile community stays positive! So far, it's far more polite than anything else I've been involved with online. I want to keep it that way smile.gif

Not poking a stick into people's eyes would be a good start!
post #16 of 19 Old 11-29-2013, 10:48 AM

Liked: 23
Well.. I think it's best if you could try out some cables at home.
If you have a local dealer that could let you try some of their "burned in" democables over the weekend.
Then you know what the cables will do for your kind of electronics when it comes to souncaracter and dynamics.

And..!! The golden rule of course! Dont bring any stereoequipment to your home that you cant afford to buy! wink.gif
post #17 of 19 Old 11-29-2013, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainleader View Post

Well.. I think it's best if you could try out some cables at home.
If you have a local dealer that could let you try some of their "burned in" democables over the weekend.
Then you know what the cables will do for your kind of electronics when it comes to souncaracter and dynamics.

My dealer told me that "burned in" cables don't sound any better than ones sprinkled with magical pixie dust. He's a self-proclaimed expert and the evidence proves him right!

post #18 of 19 Old 11-29-2013, 11:51 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilcar Barca View Post

My dealer told me that "burned in" cables don't sound any better than ones sprinkled with magical pixie dust. He's a self-proclaimed expert and the evidence proves him right!

Well.. I only bought demoex and used cables for myself to be able to afford them. So I can't really tell if the difference between used and new is big or not. But once I tried out some signalcables for about $150 that didn't outperform a pair of $25 cables in my system. And sometimes the difference isn't big enough or the sound goes in the wrong direction for you. So it's importent to try things out at home I think.
post #19 of 19 Old 11-29-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esh516 View Post

Its nice to see you did not go the coat hanger route and I'm sure you are going to enjoy them.

Coats on the floor = bad! Lol!

Let us know what you think about the kimbers. I am looking at speaker cable choices right now too.smile.gif
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page